Old March 31st 05, 02:32 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Good antenna read/reference?

I'm looking for some good antenna reference books.

What would be your sugessions?

I'm a somewhat intelligent person, and looking for something good. I'm
not afraid of equations, but would prefer to start with something
absorbable to start with. Does such literature exist?

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old March 31st 05, 02:57 AM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:32:18 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

I'm looking for some good antenna reference books.

What would be your sugessions?

Hi Mike,

At least three of us have access to Bailey's "TV and other Receiving
Antennas." It is exceptionally readable and covers propagation beyond
the usual glazed-eyes-in-the-headlights attention to TOA.

3 copies available at:
http://www.alibris.com/
but flabbergasts me that the burden runs from $30 to $187 for this
volume printed in 1950. Or try:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?au... c&st=sr&ac=qr

Amazon is usually quite useless for these older titles.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 31st 05, 04:49 AM
Cecil Moore

Mike Coslo wrote:

I'm looking for some good antenna reference books.

What would be your sugessions?

I'm a somewhat intelligent person, and looking for something good.
I'm not afraid of equations, but would prefer to start with something
absorbable to start with. Does such literature exist?

- Mike KB3EIA -

I'm sure you have heard of the ARRL Antenna Book also available on
CD. I personally am quite fond of "Antennas For All Applications",
3rd edition, by Kraus and Marhefka. "Antenna Theory" by Balanis is
a very good reference and also my AZ State antennas course textbook
taught by Dr. Balanis himself.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 31st 05, 05:53 AM
Brian Kelly

Mike Coslo wrote:
I'm looking for some good antenna reference books.

What would be your sugessions?

I'm a somewhat intelligent person, and looking for something good.

I'm
not afraid of equations, but would prefer to start with something
absorbable to start with. Does such literature exist?

- Mike KB3EIA -

There is no simple response to your question Mike because the ham radio
book market is flooded with antenna tomes and we all have different
needs, experiences, expectations and preferances when it comes to books
on technical topics.

While it's dry and a bit of a trudge take a look at the chapters on
antennas in your ARRL handbook for openers. From there the Antenna Book
gets into more detail. For my own purposes ON4UN's masterpiece on
low-band antennas is a gotta-have. Which you might not give a hoot
about. And so forth. If you haven't already done so surf:

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?categor... gation&words=

and take yer pick.

w3rv

Old March 31st 05, 06:09 AM
John Smith

When in doubt, try your local library... should at least get you started...

Regards

--
Hay, if'n ya'll cun't konstructivly partecipete in this har disscusion, haw
aboot speel-checkin it fer me?

Old March 31st 05, 07:02 AM
Roy Lewallen

Probably the most widely used antenna reference, for good reason, is
Kraus' _Antennas_, now in its third edition. If I were limited to a
single book, that would be it. You can find used first and second
editions at reasonable prices, and they contain solid basic information.

A very complete reference, with deeper discussion of a wide variety of
antenna types as well as a moderate amount of basic theory, is Lo and
Lee's _Antenna Handbook_ (four volumes). This, however, is likely to be
more than you'd want or need as a starter -- and it's relatively expensive.

And no amateur bookshelf should be without the _ARRL Antenna Book_.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old March 31st 05, 09:14 AM
Richard Harrison

Mike Coslo wrote:
"I`m looking for some good antenna reference books."

For a radio amateur, the ARRL Antenna book is unbeatable. You already
have great recommendations. I like them all.

If I had only one book on antennas it would be Terman`s "Electponic and
Radio Engineering" which covers not only antennas but whioh covers radio
and electronics like a rug. It`s tops for keeping it simple, but not too
simple, concise and accurate.

Also, I would be bereft without "Transmission Lines, Antennas, and Wave
Guides" by King, Mimno, and Wing. This was a hurry-up WW-2 production to
train US Armed Forces Officiers who were assumed to be a little short on
prerequisites, so the authors kept it as simple as they could with no
sacrifice in accuracuy. It is a gem.

Lotsa of luck in your quest for a good library. My list is by no means
complete. Bibliographies in some of the listed ooks have more
suggestios.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 31st 05, 09:49 AM
Richard Harrison

Mike Coslo wrote:
"I`m looking for some good antenna reference textbooks."

I was deprived of Ed Laport`s "Radio Antenna Engineering" for several
decades. I was much happier when I finally got a replacement copy.
It is a marvelous combination of theory and practical applications found
nowhere else.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old April 1st 05, 02:09 AM
W4WNT

I'd recommend anything written by Bill Orr, W6SAI (SK). He and Stu Cowan,
W2LX wrote "Simple Low Cost Wire Antennas" and "Vertical Antennas".

Both are good sources of antenna construction data. They are older texts,
but worth looking for.

73, and good building...

Bill, W4WNT

Old April 1st 05, 02:56 AM
Mike Coslo

Thanks, Everyone, I've printed the list, and am checking them out now.
I'm lucky in that I have access to a good university engineering library.

The odd thing is I did a search on Terman already, and they have his
"Electronic and Radio Engineering" at every branch campus, but not where
I'm at!! 8^(

- Mike KB3EIA -