Old May 21st 05, 03:34 PM
Jack Linthicum

Scott wrote:
Gotcha...that explains it. I personally thought HAARP was a neat
concept, especially for hams...man-made aurora!! Not sure if

they're
still doing research with it or not. Their website seems a bit

dated.
I copied their test transmission back in 1999 I think it was...pretty

nifty!

Scott
N0EDV

Art Deco wrote:

Scott wrote:

Huh?

Maybe we're all talking about different HAARPs. The HAARP I

thought was
being discussed is at http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

You are correct; the experiment has attracted every

end-of-the-world
gloom-and-doom conspiracist on the planet, especially on usenet.

One
well-known kook even claimed that HAARP was responsible for the

loss of
Columbia. Thus my comment that any thread with 'HAARP' in the

subject
line is from a kook (well, at least a 99% chance).

Scott

Art Deco wrote:

HAARP Microwave Beam wrote:

HAARP antennae?

go to http://haarp-microwave.tripod.com/haarp.html

to see what billions of money is going into this weapons program!

Note: using the acronym "HAARP" in a post subject line is an

automatic
kooksign.

This should indicate that HAARP is still in bsuiness as a scientific
operation. Given the, rather mild for a Haarp item, 'informed' and
'rational' responses I see on this and other newsgroups I would assume
they keep a very low profile and are not really outgoing or incoming.
The site cited (always wanted to say that) shows you pictures and gives
points of access for more information.

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ight_show.html

First Artificial Neon Sky Show Created
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Senior Writer
posted: 02 February 2005
02:12 pm ET

By shooting intense radio beams into the night sky, researchers created
a modest neon light show visible from the ground. The process is not
well understood, but scientists speculate it could one day be employed
to light a city or generate celestial advertisements.

Researchers with the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program
(HAARP) project in Alaska tickled the upper atmosphere to the extent
that it glowed with green speckles.

The speckles were sprinkled amid a natural display known as the aurora
borealis, or Northern Lights. The aurora occurs when electrons from a
cloud of hot gas, known as plasma, rain down from space and excite
molecules in the ionosphere, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) up.

The HAARP experiment involves acres of antennas and a 1 megawatt
generator. The scientists sent radio pulses skyward every 7.5 seconds,
explained team leader Todd Pederson of the Air Force Research
Laboratory.

"The radio waves travel up to the ionosphere, where they excite the
electrons in the plasma," Pederson told LiveScience. "These electrons
then collide with atmospheric gasses, which then give off light, as in
a neon tube."

Pederson and his colleagues missed the show, but they snapped images.

"We unfortunately were indoors watching the data on monitors during the
experiment and were busy scrambling trying to make sure the effects
were real and not some glitch with the equipment," he said. "We knew
right away it was something extraordinary to show up in real time on
the monitor against the natural aurora, but did not confirm that it
would have been visible to the naked eye until a day or two later when
we had a chance to calibrate the raw data."

The experiment is detailed in the Feb. 2 issue of the journal Nature.

The research could improve understanding of the aurora and also help
explain how the ionosphere adversely affects radio communications.

It is not yet clear if the aurora must already be active before an
artificial sky show can be induced, says Karl Ziemelis, chief physics
editor at the journal.

If no pre-existing aurora is required, Ziemelis said, "we are left with
the tantalizing (some would say disconcerting) possibility that such
radio-fuelled emissions could form the basis of a technology for urban
lighting, celestial advertising, and more."

Old May 21st 05, 07:47 PM
Peter Hayes

Thierry - wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m

Jodrell Bank is 250 foot or 76.2m.

--

Peter
Old May 21st 05, 08:19 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:47:24 +0100, (Peter
Hayes) wrote:

Thierry - wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m

Jodrell Bank is 250 foot or 76.2m.

Arecibo is steerable.
Old May 21st 05, 09:36 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

The last time I was there, the U. of Manchester's big antenna at Jodrell
Bank was "steerable." Perhaps you are thinking of another antenna.

Only the feed at Arecibo can be moved.
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:47:24

snip

Old May 21st 05, 10:35 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:36:54 -0400, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

The last time I was there, the U. of Manchester's big antenna at Jodrell
Bank was "steerable." Perhaps you are thinking of another antenna.

No.

Only the feed at Arecibo can be moved.

Uh huh. But that moves the beam around.

A lot of satellite receivers use fixed reflectors with multiple feeds
to look at different satellites.

A lot of search and fire control radars also use "fixed" planar
antennas with electronic beam steering.

I submit that all of these are "steerable."

Regards,

Wes

Old May 22nd 05, 05:36 PM
Jack Linthicum

Dave Holford wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

According to an Alaskan local who is a friend of mine, HAARP has

almost
no funding anymore from DoD, the guards at the front gate spend

their
time watching cable TV. HAARP is turned on occasionally as a

teaching
facility for the Univ. of Alaska.

I recall reading a couple of magazine articles some years ago when

HAARP was
active; and in both of them the writers reported the gate was open

and there was
no one at the gate. I recall one of the writers wandered around until

he found
someone in a building who showed him around - there were some great

photos of the
'huge' antenna system.

Dave

It must be like that drive-in movie used in "Spies Like Us" or that dry
cleaners the 15,000 employees of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E". Tricky part
is covering up all the tire tracks the hundreds of employees make when
they drive through the snow. http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/cam.fcgi
This is a picture from the HAARP cam, all white, must be snowing. This
is a pro-Haarp site http://www.guerrillacampaign.com/Hugh.htm and the
power given is less than a megawatt, about what a small UHF TV station
might put out, the big ones do 2000 kW. and this is the best satellite
image from maps.google
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gakona...2400&t=k&hl=en

Old May 22nd 05, 06:02 PM
Jack Linthicum

Jack Linthicum wrote:
Dave Holford wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

[...]

This is a pretty chatty source from when it was still under
construction: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/haarpFactSheet.html

Old May 22nd 05, 08:54 PM
Me

Hayes) wrote:

Thierry - wrote:

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m

Jodrell Bank is 250 foot or 76.2m.

Arecibo is steerable.

Actually it is slightly steerable...just over about 15 degrees of
vertical, and the antenna gain drops off, quickly as the the angle
leaves vertical. This is due to the movement of the Feed Horn
Assembly offcenter on its Trolly Wire Supports.

Me
Old May 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
Me

In article .com,
"Jack Linthicum" wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gakona...1238&spn=0.025
578,0.042400&t=k&hl=en

This is a pretty chatty source from when it was still under
construction: http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/haarpFactSheet.html

News Flash....HAARP is still under construction...... as the final array
will not be finished and powered until 2006......

Me