Old August 23rd 04, 06:01 PM
Tony Angerame

Default Noise and Loops Question

This is more of an account than a question but here goes. I have a
second
qth in the Sierra at about 4000 feet. The soil is rocky and dry,
especially this time of year. Using a G5RV at about 40 feet in a tree
I was plagued by a surprisingly high noise levelon 80/40 meters. It
sounded like power line noise but I can't say for sure. Playing with
various grounding schemes seemed to help somewhat but never really got
rid of the noise. One scheme seemed to work for awhile and the next
week it didn't.

The solution was to close in the bottom of the G5RV forming a full
wave loop.
The noise is no longer discernible. It went from approximately an s-6
to zero!

My question is: What can I conclude from this? Either concerning the
nature of the noise or the efficacy ofthe solution. Loops is gud?

Aside, the loop seems to be good close in as it is fed from the top
(Like a G5RV) but I am considering a corner feed to improve low angle.

Tony WA6LZH
Old August 23rd 04, 07:39 PM
Cecil Moore

Tony Angerame wrote:
My question is: What can I conclude from this?

A 4:1 voltage balun will also solve the problem or
simply an RF choke across the dipole feedpoint. The
problem is static electricity common in dry climates,
building up between the two antenna conductors, and
can be caused by wind or snow. It is enough voltage
to cause arcing across the coax connector. (Hint: The
quad was invented to solve a Yagi melting problem.)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Make your own T2FD Kees Antenna 94 June 30th 04 10:04 PM
array of magnetic loops? John Antenna 5 October 28th 03 10:01 PM
Should I run a Sky-wire loop? Walter Antenna 11 September 11th 03 04:21 PM
Remodeling with fluorescent lights - HF noise ahead? John Brown Antenna 4 July 19th 03 05:39 PM