SC Model 84 chassis front.jpg

Old May 25th 14, 03:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Chester Copperpot

Default SC Model 84 chassis front.jpg

1935 Stromberg Carlson Model 84 floor model. I have had this for years
but just yesterday I removed the chassis for the first time. It was
stuck on the large rubber mounts and I had to saw them off with a long
kitchen knife to get it out.
I heard it was serviced in the early 80's and saw where 3
electrolytics were replaced. The repair guy removed the original
chassis mount caps from the top. There was really no reason to do that
except maybe to make a little more room or to show the customer that
they actually did something.

Old May 26th 14, 01:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Jim Mueller

On Sun, 25 May 2014 07:03:56 -0700, Chester Copperpot wrote:

1935 Stromberg Carlson Model 84 floor model. I have had this for years
but just yesterday I removed the chassis for the first time. It was
stuck on the large rubber mounts and I had to saw them off with a long
kitchen knife to get it out.
I heard it was serviced in the early 80's and saw where 3 electrolytics
were replaced. The repair guy removed the original chassis mount caps
from the top. There was really no reason to do that except maybe to make
a little more room or to show the customer that they actually did
something.

In 1935 the electrolytics were probably the wet type. These sometimes
leak and the chemicals corrode everything around them. Perhaps they were
removed to prevent this.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old May 26th 14, 03:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Chester Copperpot

On 26 May 2014 00:02:18 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2014 07:03:56 -0700, Chester Copperpot wrote:

1935 Stromberg Carlson Model 84 floor model. I have had this for years
but just yesterday I removed the chassis for the first time. It was
stuck on the large rubber mounts and I had to saw them off with a long
kitchen knife to get it out.
I heard it was serviced in the early 80's and saw where 3 electrolytics
were replaced. The repair guy removed the original chassis mount caps
from the top. There was really no reason to do that except maybe to make
a little more room or to show the customer that they actually did
something.

In 1935 the electrolytics were probably the wet type. These sometimes
leak and the chemicals corrode everything around them. Perhaps they were
removed to prevent this.

Come to think of it, I did see some corrosion on the large candohm
resistor - which was sitting under where those cans were mounted.
Old May 26th 14, 05:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Newsgroupie

wrote:

1935 Stromberg Carlson Model 84 floor model. I have had this for years
but just yesterday I removed the chassis for the first time. It was
stuck on the large rubber mounts and I had to saw them off with a long
kitchen knife to get it out.
I heard it was serviced in the early 80's and saw where 3
electrolytics were replaced. The repair guy removed the original
chassis mount caps from the top. There was really no reason to do that
except maybe to make a little more room or to show the customer that
they actually did something.

Is there any label stating where it was made? I was told when I was younger that
Stromberg Carlson radios were made here in Rochester NY. I know some companies
had more than one location, but I am curious where yours was made.

Resistance is not futile, it's voltage divided by current!
Old May 26th 14, 10:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Chester Copperpot

wrote:

1935 Stromberg Carlson Model 84 floor model. I have had this for years
but just yesterday I removed the chassis for the first time. It was
stuck on the large rubber mounts and I had to saw them off with a long
kitchen knife to get it out.
I heard it was serviced in the early 80's and saw where 3
electrolytics were replaced. The repair guy removed the original
chassis mount caps from the top. There was really no reason to do that
except maybe to make a little more room or to show the customer that
they actually did something.

Is there any label stating where it was made? I was told when I was younger that
Stromberg Carlson radios were made here in Rochester NY. I know some companies
had more than one location, but I am curious where yours was made.

Resistance is not futile, it's voltage divided by current!

I'm pretty sure it was made in Rochester. As far as I know they only
had one U.S. radio factory. They also made Stromberg Carlson radios in
Canada but they had different model numbers and cabinet styles than
the U.S. ones. Those were only for sale in Canada.
I've seen Australian SC's too but they were made only for that market.
Old May 26th 14, 10:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Chester Copperpot

wrote:

1935 Stromberg Carlson Model 84 floor model. I have had this for years
but just yesterday I removed the chassis for the first time. It was
stuck on the large rubber mounts and I had to saw them off with a long
kitchen knife to get it out.
I heard it was serviced in the early 80's and saw where 3
electrolytics were replaced. The repair guy removed the original
chassis mount caps from the top. There was really no reason to do that
except maybe to make a little more room or to show the customer that
they actually did something.

Is there any label stating where it was made? I was told when I was younger that
Stromberg Carlson radios were made here in Rochester NY. I know some companies
had more than one location, but I am curious where yours was made.

Resistance is not futile, it's voltage divided by current!

I just took a photo of the cabinet label and it pretty much says
Rochester

Old June 5th 14, 03:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Newsgroupie

wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed it does. Thanks so much for the replies and photo. Yet another
Rochester company no longer with us. A shame. They had a reputation for making
quality stuff. I should have remembered they made telephones too.

Resistance is not futile, it's voltage divided by current!
Old June 6th 14, 03:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Chester Copperpot

wrote:

[...]

This is my most prized radio. The quality is excellent. I drove
through Rochester in the early 90's (I spent a month in N.Y. taking
classes in Binghamton) and was amazed at how big Kodak was. It just
went on and on . . .

Philco Model 20 chassis Brenda Ann[_2_] Radio Photos 1 August 13th 11 12:45 AM
Airline Radio Model #? Chassis Photos Dave[_4_] Radio Photos 2 May 12th 07 06:07 PM
FA:1948 Chisholm Floor model radio for parts(cabnet sold)speaker,chassis,turntable Old79vette Swap 3 May 2nd 04 04:45 PM
Hot Chassis geojunkie Boatanchors 5 February 15th 04 08:25 PM
Help, I have a hot chassis, 12 v is everywhere tomagain CB 3 October 10th 03 07:41 AM