LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 26th 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Apr 2015
Default need help selecting am radio

Greetings all.

I want to buy a good, portable commercial broadcast AM radio. I was heading for the RCA Super Radio but discovered it was a re-engineered (cheaper - doesn't work as well) version of the original GE Super Radio.

I am looking for an AM radio that....

Has good sensitivity/selectivity - pulls in weak stations. If I had to choose, I'd go with sensitivity first. Where I am, there are no "power house" stations to disrupt anything.

DOES NOT QUIET between stations. I purchased a "digital" AM radio from Radio Shack that quieted every time you turned the tuning knob. It had to think. It was very difficult to browse the band. I don't want an auto tuner, I want to spin the tuning knob myself and find stations.

Has an analog tuning. Digital readout is ok, but I want to tune it myself. I'm not even sure what analog tuning means anymore. There are digital tuners that try and act like analog tuners ... and I guess that's ok.

Uses standard batteries. Has to have AA's C's or D's. It would be nice to plug
it into the wall, but it's not necessary.

External antenna optional.

DOES NOT need FM.

Cost less then $100.

I'd be willing to hit Ebay or Craigslist to purchase an old radio too - in the event that this kind of radio isn't even made anymore.

Thanks all.

#2   Report Post  
Old April 26th 15, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 6:21:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Greetings all.

I want to buy a good, portable commercial broadcast AM radio. I was heading for the RCA Super Radio but discovered it was a re-engineered (cheaper - doesn't work as well) version of the original GE Super Radio.

Has good sensitivity/selectivity - pulls in weak stations. If I had to choose, I'd go with sensitivity first. Where I am, there are no "power house" stations to disrupt anything.

DOES NOT QUIET between stations. I purchased a "digital" AM radio from Radio Shack that quieted every time you turned the tuning knob. It had to think. It was very difficult to browse the band. I don't want an auto tuner, I want to spin the tuning knob myself and find stations.

Has an analog tuning. Digital readout is ok, but I want to tune it myself. I'm not even sure what analog tuning means anymore. There are digital tuners that try and act like analog tuners ... and I guess that's ok.

DOES NOT need FM.

Cost less then $100.

I'd be willing to hit Ebay or Craigslist to purchase an old radio too - in the event that this kind of radio isn't even made anymore.

Thanks all.

Update. Ran into this list:

Panasonic RF-2200 ***** (Still The Reference AM Portable)

CC Radio-2E*****

CC Radio-2 *****

CC Radio-EP *****

GE SR I/SR II *****

Grundig Satellit 205/Transistor 5000*****

Nordrmende Globe Traveler*****

found at
//radiojayallen.
com/am-portables-mega-shootout-2015-update/

comments?
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 26th 15, 07:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Apr 2013

Myself, knowing what I know today, would search out on e-Bay or elsewhere a good SR-1 or SR-2, and indeed stay away from the SR-3.

wrote:

Greetings all.

DOES NOT need FM.

Cost less then $100.

Thanks all.

#5   Report Post  
Old April 26th 15, 07:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

dxAce wrote:

Myself, knowing what I know today, would search out on e-Bay or elsewhere a good SR-1 or SR-2, and indeed stay away from the SR-3.

Let me add on the SR-3, stay away from it whether it is the GE version or the RCA.

wrote:

Greetings all.

DOES NOT need FM.

Cost less then $100.

Thanks all.

#6   Report Post  
Old April 26th 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Mar 2012

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 1:56:42 AM UTC-5, dxAce wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Let me add on the SR-3, stay away from it whether it is the GE version or the RCA.

wrote:

Greetings all.

DOES NOT need FM.

Cost less then $100.

Thanks all.

www.universal-radio.com Take a look, see what they have for sale.
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 3rd 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

Ok, I"m looking on ebay for GE Super radios. The part numbers are confusing and I'd like to know what constitutes the good old model
every raves about. Here are some I'm running into:

GE SUPERADIO 7-2887A
GE Superadio 7-2887B
General Electric SUPERADIO II
GE Super Radio 2826A
GE SUPERADIO II Super Radio 7-2885D
GENERAL ELECTRIC GE 7-2964A (says super radio in ad - no so sure)
General Electric Super Radio Model No.7-2880

You get the idea. I'm not a radio guy - just want the best AM radio I can get. Can anyone give me the part numbers to look for?

Thanks again.
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 3rd 15, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

Both my Superadio I's (Though they do not say Superadio on them at all) are model number 7-2880B

My Superadio II is model number 7-2885D

I suspect that the 7-2887 is the SR III which I would avoid along with its RCA variation.

wrote:

Ok, I"m looking on ebay for GE Super radios. The part numbers are confusing and I'd like to know what constitutes the good old model
every raves about. Here are some I'm running into:

GE SUPERADIO 7-2887A
GE Superadio 7-2887B
General Electric SUPERADIO II
GE Super Radio 2826A
GE SUPERADIO II Super Radio 7-2885D
GENERAL ELECTRIC GE 7-2964A (says super radio in ad - no so sure)
General Electric Super Radio Model No.7-2880

You get the idea. I'm not a radio guy - just want the best AM radio I can get. Can anyone give me the part numbers to look for?

Thanks again.

#10   Report Post  
Old May 4th 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster

Thanks for the info. Just committed to a 7-2880B at $61 total. I hope it works out.