Old January 23rd 04, 12:41 AM
Keith

Default FCC Vanity Call Sign Dispute

Before the Federal Communications Commission Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of Amateur Radio Station License of Richard L. Smith to
Modify the Call Sign of Amateur Station KC4USH File No. 0000993298

ORDER OF MODIFICATION Adopted: January 16, 2004 Released: January 22, 2004

By the Chief, Public Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division, Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau:

1. Introduction. In this Order of Modification, we modify the license for
Amateur Radio Station KC4USH, Chesapeake, Virginia. Specifically, we
modify the Amateur Radio Service station license issued to Richard L.
Smith (Smith) to show the call sign KG4UKV, which was the call sign
assigned to his amateur station prior to the grant of the captioned
application. As explained in further detail below, we take this action
pursuant to an earlier order proposing to modify Smith s license.1

2. Background. In the Modification Proposal, we concluded that the grant
of the vanity call sign KC4USH to Smith s amateur station was defective
because the call sign is included in the call sign block KC4USA through
KC4USZ which is available to the Department of the Navy for the use of
amateur stations at U. S. Navy Antarctic stations.2 We were unable to set
aside the grant of Smith s abovecaptioned application because we did not
become aware of the error until more than thirty days after the grant
occurred. As a result of our error, we proposed to modify Smith s license
pursuant to Section 316(a) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended,3
by exchanging KC4USH with the call sign previously assigned to Smith s
amateur radio station, KG4UKV.4 In this connection, we tentatively
concluded that the proposed modification would serve the public interest
by ensuring that the call sign block KC4USA-KC4USZ is only used to
identify amateur stations that are located at U. S. Navy Antarctic
stations as provided in the Commission s Rules.

3. Discussion. A copy of the Modification Proposal was sent to Mr. Smith
with the requirement that any protest thereto be submitted within thirty
days of its the release date.5 On July 30, 2003, Mr. Smith submitted a
letter protesting the proposed modification.6 In support of his protest,
Mr. Smith states that the call sign KC4USH was the only call sign he
wanted as a vanity call sign because it was the call sign used at Cape
Hallett Station, Antarctica, when his father was located there during
Operation Deep Freeze 60,7 that he applied for the call sign in good
faith, and that he has spent considerable personal funds to make others
aware that he was assigned this call sign.8 Mr. Smith also notes that the
call sign KC4USH has not been issued since 1974 and that, with the
exception of the call sign KC4USV, the U.S. Navy is not using any call
signs in the call sign block made available to it.9

4. We have considered the statement and evidence that Mr. Smith has
submitted. As an initial matter, we note that the reason a licensee
requests a particular vanity call sign is not a sufficient basis to allow
a licensee to retain a call sign that is otherwise unassignable to the
licensee s station pursuant to the Commission s Rules. In this case, all
call signs from the call sign block KC4USA through KC4USZ have been made
available to the Department of the Navy for the use of amateur stations at
U.S. Navy Antarctic locations.10 For this reason the rules applicable to
our call sign systems, including the vanity call sign system, have
consistently stated that call signs from the call sign block KC4USA-KC4USZ
are not available for assignment to amateur stations licensed by the
FCC.11 We conclude, therefore, that we must modify Mr. Smith s license to
show a call sign that is available to the FCC-licensed amateur station.

5. With regard to Mr. Smith s contention that the U.S. Navy is only using
one call sign in the call sign block made available to it, we note that
such claim, even if it is correct, does not provide a sufficient basis for
Mr. Smith to retain the call sign KC4USH in contravention of the FCC s
rules and policies. In this regard, we note that other call sign blocks
have been made available to other agencies12 and that with the exception
of the call sign block KG4AA-KG4ZZ, very few of these call signs have been
assigned. Nonetheless, once the FCC makes a call sign block available to
another licensing agency, those call signs may no longer be assigned to
amateur stations by the Commission. Call sign assignment policies
applicable to those call signs, including when and whether to assign them,
become the responsibility of the other agency. We also note that we are
unaware of any reason that the U.S. Navy could not resume assigning these
call signs to stations operating from Antarctica. Further, given the FCC s
prior decision to make such call signs available to the U.S. Navy, the
record in this proceeding does not present a sufficient basis for
revisiting this issue or suggesting modification of the U.S. Navy s
flexibility in this regard.

6. As we noted in the Modification Proposal, the assignment of the call
sign KC4USH was an error. We apologize for any inconvenience this error
has caused Mr. Smith. We have reviewed our call sign assignment systems
and policies and made corrections necessary to ensure that these systems
do not assign call signs that are unavailable to FCC-licensed amateur
stations in the future. Based on the record in this matter, however, we
conclude that it would be in the public interest to modify Mr. Smith s
amateur station license for KC4USH, Chesapeake, Virginia, by exchanging
the call sign KC4USH with the call sign KG4UKV.13

7. ACCORDINGLY, IT IS ORDERED, pursuant to Sections 4(i) and 316(a) of
the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. §§ 154(i), 316(a),
and Section 1.87 of the Commission s Rules, 47 C.F.R. § 1.87, that the
station license for Amateur Radio Station KC4USH IS MODIFIED to show the
call sign KG4UKV.

8. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that this Order of Modification shall be sent by
certified mail, return receipt requested to Richard L. Smith, 509
Homestead Road, Chesapeake, Virginia 23321.

9. This action is taken under delegated authority pursuant to Sections
0.131 and 0.331 of the Commission s Rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 0.131, 0.331.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
Dwana R. Terry
Chief, Public Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau

Footnotes: 1 See Memorandum Opinion and Order, DA 03-2183 (w/copy to Mr.
Smith) (rel. July 3, 2003) (Modification Proposal).

2 Id. at 1.

3 47 U.S.C. § 316(a). Section 316(a) requires that we notify the affected
station(s) of the proposed modification(s), the public interest reasons
for the action, and afford at least 30 days to respond.

4 See Modification Proposal at 1.

5 47 C.F.R. § 1.87(a).

6 Letter from Richard L. Smith (filed Jul. 30, 2003) (Letter).

7 See Letter at 1.

8 Id. at 2.

9 Id.

10 See Letter dated July 21, 1959, from Secretary, Federal Communications
Commission, to Dr. T. O. Jones, Office of Special International Programs,
National Science Foundation (NSF) (making available to NSF the call sign
block KC4AAA-KC4AAF and reciting conditions applicable to use of the call
sign block KC4USA-KC4USZ by the U. S. Navy.)

11 See Public Notice FCC Announces Amateur Station Call Sign Assignment
System Mimeo No. 98607 (released Mar. 30, 1978) (call signs not assignable
to amateur stations by the FCC: KC4AAA-KC4AAF and KC4USAKC4USZ) and
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...y/index.html#2
(the following call signs are not available for assignment: KC4AAA-KC4AAF
and KC4USA-KC4USZ.)

12 For example, the call sign block KA2AA-KA9ZZ is available to U.S. Army
authorized amateur stations in Japan, the call sign block KG4AA-KG4ZZ is
available to U.S. Navy authorized amateur stations at Guantanamo Bay,
Cuba, and forty call signs having the first two letters AF, KF, NF, or WF
and the letters EMA following a numeral are available to the Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

13 47 C.F.R. § 1.87(i).

--
Best Regards, Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/

CALL SIGN LOOKUP Sarah Fender Antenna 15 August 19th 04 04:47 PM
FYI: Vanity Call fee going up in August Minnie Bannister General 40 July 11th 04 10:21 PM
SX8E Special Call Sign October 28,29,30/2003 Deos General 1 October 29th 03 12:06 PM
SX8E Special Call Sign October 28,29,30/2003 Deos Dx 0 October 24th 03 01:49 AM
Vanity Call Sign Lookup Bob Policy 1 September 17th 03 01:10 AM