Old February 4th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Coast Guard Type R-100 Receiver (not the Morale RX)

Hello Folks,

A while back, I recieved an R-100 receiver. After a period of time
searching on the internet, I have been unable to locate much
infomation on this reciever. I do know this is nor the R-100/URR built
in a portable case with clock-type dial - that seems to be a morale/
entertainment reciever made during WW2.

From what I have found, this was a rack mounting unit used for

monitoring the VLF, LF and MF frequencies, up to 1400 KHz. Somebody
has told me that it is TRF. Tuning is performed on what seems to be 4
bands (indicator dial mask is seized). The dial is built like the
Measurements Inc. and some URM- signal generators where a common
tuning dial is masked by a black disc which is rotated in place by the
band knob.

Internal construction is much like the SP-200. All controls are on the
lower half of the panel, which is a black wrinkle painted steel plate.
The particular radio I have was obtaned within a aircraft-like
cabinet, made of lightweight aluminum, rubber isolator mount (four
rubber isolators) and a simple hinged top with two twist-latches.

Any schematics, manuals, power info or such out there?

The radio isn't for sale - it is promised to a friend who can get it
working again. I would make an exception for any nautical museum
looking for such a radio for their collection.

Thanks in advance for the help, any info you can spare will help.

David Goncalves

Old February 5th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

put a pic up on alt.binaries.pictures.radio

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Dave Goncalves" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello Folks,

A while back, I recieved an R-100 receiver. After a period of time
searching on the internet, I have been unable to locate much
infomation on this reciever. I do know this is nor the R-100/URR built
in a portable case with clock-type dial - that seems to be a morale/
entertainment reciever made during WW2.

From what I have found, this was a rack mounting unit used for

Old October 20th 11, 11:53 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goncalves View Post
Hello Folks,

A while back, I recieved an R-100 receiver. After a period of time
searching on the internet, I have been unable to locate much
infomation on this reciever. I do know this is nor the R-100/URR built
in a portable case with clock-type dial - that seems to be a morale/
entertainment reciever made during WW2.

From what I have found, this was a rack mounting unit used for

[...]

David,

The Coast Guard R-100 receiver was used during WWII and as late as 1967 (thats when I got out of the Coast Guard). I was stationed on two Buoy Tenders in Alaska and both ships had the R-100 receiver installed in the radio shack. In addition, all radiomen who took their training at Groton, CN used the R-100 to train on. As you have surmised, it was used for reception of Medium Frequency CW communications and for guarding the International Distress Frequency of 500 KHz. All CG vessels monitored 500 KHz as long as the radio shack was manned. They were a very good receiver. During the 50's and 60's almost all merchant and inter CG communications was CW. The majority of our equipment was leftover stuff from WWII. Some ships used the WWII Navy RBA receiver instead of the R-100. Others were using the Navy RBL receiver for MF. You never knew what kind of old equipment you would find when reporting aboard a new ship in those days. My ships also had the WWII Navy TDE transmitter's installed during the war and were still in service when I departed in 67. The TDE was an MF and HF transmitter for use from 300 KHz to 18100 KHz of around 125W power output on CW and about 35W on AM and about 30W on MCW. Anyway - Congratulations on finding your
R-100. I doubt that there are but a few that may have survived.

Roger Brown, Ex-Coast Guard Radioman (1963-1967)