Old August 31st 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default How do you get a ground rod to 6 feet ?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:57:32 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in

As a last resort I will hack a trench with a pick and lay in the rod
at a shallow angle to the surface. Would this give an adequate
ground ? I could also bond it to an outdoor brass spigot
10 yards away or even to an anchor fence in the other direction.
Dave WB3DWE

-
In my opinion the trench would be ok, but I'll leave that to the
experts on the group.

However, I remember chiseling through the caliche to be annoying, but
not that difficult with the right tools. It can be done with a
"shooter" style shovel, but that is a bit more effort. However, I
doubt if you would ever get a copper rod driven through without some
major damage to the rod.

If the soil is permiable to water, you could try another of my hack
methods. Sweat a garden hose connection onto a piece of copper tubing.
Attach a garden hose to the fitting, and point the rod down in the place
you want to sink int. Then let it rip. In my area, we have a few inches
of topsoil, than a really hard clay, then rocky clay, followed by sandy
clay/sand. It will even move some rocks out of the way. The tubing
becomes the ground rod of course.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Water worked ok for me and I replaced the Steel pipe I used with a
clad ground rod after I made the "hole". Now on the job I see
electricians using a neat tool. I think Milwaukee makes it. It
attaches to the rod and hangs off the side and appears to be able to
be clamped on anywhere and hammers it into the ground. Seems to work
very well under different conditions. Try rental houses first. If ya
belong to a club it would be a good club buy.

Dan, N9JBF
Old September 4th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave WB3DWE wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:29:03 GMT, "Wayne"
wrote:

-
I lived for many years in the Dallas area. The caliche was down about 2
feet and was about a foot thick. I had to dig a hole with a shovel down
the caliche, then use a heavy hammer and long chisel to get through the
caliche. Then, backfill and proceed as normal. Don't know what your
configuration would be. Good luck.

Thanks Wayne.
As a last resort I will hack a trench with a pick and lay in the rod
at a shallow angle to the surface. Would this give an adequate
ground ? I could also bond it to an outdoor brass spigot
10 yards away or even to an anchor fence in the other direction.
Dave WB3DWE

Not familiar with that soil, but what would happen if you soaked the ground
with water? Would it soften it and/or make a mud that you could sink the
rod into? I do that around nere in the NC clay and it works pretty
well---unless you hit ROCKS. And that is pretty likely, too.

73