Old December 28th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best Portable for MW DX

Mike wrote:
Here's a general question I want to throw out:

Which portable receivers do you think make the best receivers for
chasing MW DX?

I'm fortunate enough to have collected a lot of portables and here are
the ones I'm currently leaning toward dedicating to MW DX:

1. Panasonic RF-2200

This one is clearly in the group and may be the best single receiver I
own for MW DX. It's only real drawback is the lack of a digital
readout, but 30 years of use has enabled me to develop a pretty good
ability to figure the exact frequency from finely-calibrated dial.

2. Redsun RP2100

I've owned this radio for about a year and continue to be impressed by
it's sensitivity and pleasing audio.

3. Sony ICF-7600GR

Small and very sensitive. The continously adjustable RF Gain makes the
GR model significantly better for MW DX than it's predecessor, the
7600G, which just had a DX-Local switch. It's small size makes it the
easiest to place on a Lazy Susan for directional reception.

4. Grundig S350

Though I have been extremely negative about this receiver (drifting,
tuning and image problems), I must admit that it's pretty impressive
when it comes to MW. I've been using it for MW DX for about the last
week and I have yet to hear an image in the MW band (they're all over
SW).

5. GE SuperRadio

Incredibly sensitive, very low noise floor and great audio.
Unfortunately, the dial is not finely calibrated and is way off. It's
hard to understand why a SR with digital readout was never made (at
least to my knowledge).

But, these five are about to be separated from my larger collection
with the purpose of dedicating them to MW DX.

My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?

Any comments are greatly appreciated,

Mike,
Louisville, KY

All-American 5 tube superhet ca. 1958
Old December 28th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 7:20�pm, Dave wrote:

All-American 5 tube superhet ca. 1958

Dave,

While I appreciate your contribution, the question dealt with
portables. Are there other portables that you think I might be
overlooking?

Mike
Old December 28th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mike" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 7:20?pm, Dave wrote:

All-American 5 tube superhet ca. 1958

Dave,

While I appreciate your contribution, the question dealt with
portables. Are there other portables that you think I might be
overlooking?

Mike

I actually have a nice tube portable AA5* with a tuned RF section that
performs excedingly well. It's a GE set. I've had some older Philcos as
well, but the GE seems to just edge them out in gain and sound quality.

* instead of a rectifier, the fifth tube is an RF amp. Tube lineup is: 1U4,
1R5, 1U4, 1U5, 3V4

Old December 28th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:
On Dec 27, 7:20�pm, Dave wrote:
All-American 5 tube superhet ca. 1958

Dave,

While I appreciate your contribution, the question dealt with
portables. Are there other portables that you think I might be
overlooking?

Mike

You asked for any other radios, period, I thought.

"My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?"

Drake SW8

Magnavox D-2999
Old December 28th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Mike wrote:
On Dec 27, 7:20?pm, Dave wrote:
All-American 5 tube superhet ca. 1958

Dave,

While I appreciate your contribution, the question dealt with
portables. Are there other portables that you think I might be
overlooking?

Mike

You asked for any other radios, period, I thought.

"My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?"

Drake SW8

Magnavox D-2999

He was asking about portables.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 28th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 9:49�pm, Dave wrote:

You asked for any other radios, period, I thought.

"My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?"

Drake SW8

Magnavox D-2999

Dave,

No, I was looking for portables, check the thread title. But thank you
for the two suggestions in your last post. I came close on variants of
both receivers. The Grundig Satellit 800 (basically a SW8 in a big
plastic box) does a very good job with MW DX, but ultimately the noise
floor caused by the display hash, made me choose to keep it with my SW
receivers hooked to external antennas. I don't own a D2999 (I wish I
did!) but I do own a D2935 (basically a smaller, more portable version
of the D2999) and looked at long and hard at it, just last night.
Though the audio is awesome, the broad bandwidth and less sensitivity
resulted in the decision to use it primarily for program listening, as
opposed to MW DX-chasing. Maybe I should see how the D2935 does on a
longer external antenna...

Thanks for your input!

Mike
Old December 28th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 27, 9:28�pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Mike

I actually have a nice tube portable AA5* with a tuned RF section that
performs excedingly well. It's a GE set. I've had some older Philcos as
well, but the GE seems to just edge them out in gain and sound quality.

* instead of a rectifier, the fifth tube is an RF amp. �Tube lineup is: 1U4,
1R5, 1U4, 1U5, 3V4

Brenda Ann,

Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to invest in buying one of
the tube-based TransOceanics off of eBay. I'll keep an eye open for
GEs and Philcos, too, based on your input. My step-father used to work
at an old Philco plant outside of Cincinnati, he'd probably get a kick
out of seeing one of those receivers.

Happy Holidays!

Mike
Old December 29th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Mike wrote:

On Dec 27, 9:28?pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Mike

I actually have a nice tube portable AA5* with a tuned RF section that
performs excedingly well. It's a GE set. I've had some older Philcos as
well, but the GE seems to just edge them out in gain and sound quality.

* instead of a rectifier, the fifth tube is an RF amp. ?Tube lineup is: 1U4,
1R5, 1U4, 1U5, 3V4

Brenda Ann,

Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to invest in buying one of
the tube-based TransOceanics off of eBay. I'll keep an eye open for
GEs and Philcos, too, based on your input. My step-father used to work
at an old Philco plant outside of Cincinnati, he'd probably get a kick
out of seeing one of those receivers.

Happy Holidays!

Those radios had at least two different batteries. A high B+ and another
low voltage battery for the filaments I think.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 29th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 28, 7:12*am, RHF wrote:
On Dec 27, 4:20*pm, Dave wrote:

Mike wrote:
[...]

Vintage Zenith Tube Radio "Long Distance" # K731http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ310110657826http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ330297101246
there is something about the 'sound' of an old
tube radio in a wooden cabinet ~ RHF

I will also throw into the arena albeit a big portable is my RCA
Victor "Strato-World." What is great with this particular receiver is
that using either a loop for the BCB or running a long length of wire-
- both of those antennas are great for the BCB. Usually I have found
that only one of the antenna configs. shine better than the other but
for this specific radio both really do well. Great link here for this
radio.
http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/portables/rcastrat.htm

Old December 29th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 29, 2:15*am, BCBlazysusan wrote:
On Dec 28, 7:12*am, RHF wrote:

On Dec 27, 4:20*pm, Dave wrote:

Mike wrote:
[...]

radio.http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/portables/rcastrat.htm- Hide quoted text -

This is a better link for the RCA Victor
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/RCAstrat.htm