Old May 27th 04, 05:11 PM
Tallion

Default Adjust output power of IC718 ?

Hi All !

I have a ICOM IC 718 #08 and i obtain only 100 watts max when i adjust R1707
(80 watts on 20 M)while some obtain 200 watts, why ?
and how i do for to obtain about 150 watts ?

Thanks !
John FBCZ
)

Old May 27th 04, 05:49 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

The IC-718 is rated at 100 Watts -- see URL:
http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic718/specs.htm

I would be very careful of adjusting it above the manufacurers specs. (;-(

I have known folks who did this on other rigs and eventually blew out the
finals (:-(

Being there is 6dB per S-unit -- increasing power from 100 to 150 Watts
(less than 2 dB) will not be noticeable on the receiving end.

Your frazzled finals may vary (:-)

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

Old May 27th 04, 06:00 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Forgot to add -- repairing blown finals is VERY expensive unless you can do
it yourself but that can be messy (;-(

Old May 27th 04, 09:21 PM
Billybob

Whoever gave you the idea they are getting 200 watts out of an Icom IC-718
is a complete and useless moron!

Obviously a lowlife CB'er that has had his screwdriver inside his own
wattmeter!

IT WONT PUT OUT 200 WATTS

DONT TRY!

I work for ICOM!

Old May 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Tallion

Billybob wrote:
|| Whoever gave you the idea they are getting 200 watts out of an Icom
|| IC-718 is a complete and useless moron!
|| Obviously a lowlife CB'er that has had his screwdriver inside his own
|| wattmeter!
|| IT WONT PUT OUT 200 WATTS
|| DONT TRY!
|| I work for ICOM!

Ok Billybob, this mod (200 watts) come of www.mods.dk and many forums,
however i have enought output power with 80 watts (mesured with dummy load
and Bird), I would not like to break my PA, thanks for your advice and your
experience.

John F5BCZ

Old May 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Tallion

Old May 28th 04, 01:20 AM
Keyboard In The Noise

Some Mods are made by folks that don't know what they are doing.
Sadly they find their way onto the web.
Likewise with forums.
Most mod pages have a Caveat about this --- So mod-er beware

Example from a popular mod page

"Before you do anything, please read this.! The modifications are not
verified and tested by us, so if you try some of the articles on your own
equipment, it's on your own risk. Performing modifications of some equipment
may be a violation of local laws. If you have any doubts, do not perform the
modification."