Old July 12th 04, 12:29 PM
Fractenna

Default News: 'Hi Tech Zapper to Stop Car Chases'

Also keeps those pesky UFO's in check:-)....

Hmmm..I though cars were better shielded than that.
Article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...259138,00.html

73,
Chip N1IR
Old July 14th 04, 11:30 AM
Ian Jackson

In message , Fractenna
writes
Also keeps those pesky UFO's in check:-)....

Hmmm..I though cars were better shielded than that.
Article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...259138,00.html

73,
Chip N1IR

In the UK, we're not supposed to use 'unproved' commercial equipment in
modern cars (although I think we can still use homebrew). This is
supposedly to avoid the risk of interfering with the electronics
(although I can't really think why 'approved' equipment should be
better). It's all to do with being a part of the European Community, and
the rule-making bureaucrats in Brussels.

Obviously, the real solution to the problem would be to improve the
immunity of the car electronics (which costs), but you now have a good
reason to justify not doing this.

In the UK, we pay a TV licence. There are detector vans which track down
offenders. The obvious way was to look for the radiation of the local
oscillator in the tuner. However, a radiating local oscillator is a 'bad
thing' because it interferes with things. With modern sets, it's
probably easier to look for the rubbish from the switch-mode power
supplies (which is often worse when the set is in standby).

It used to be said that the TV manufacturers were actually willing to
improve their designs in order to reduce the radiation, but were
pressured not to do so! I'm not sure how true any of this is. I've a
sneaky feeling that costs again come into it somewhere.

Cheers,
Ian.

Old July 14th 04, 04:29 PM
'Doc

"Fractenna" ,
For military use it ought'a work fine. For civilian use, I can see
lots of problems, targeting only the one vehicle, and causing
permanent damage, for instance...
'Doc

Old July 15th 04, 12:36 AM
Tom Ring

Ian Jackson wrote:

In the UK, we pay a TV licence. There are detector vans which track down
offenders. The obvious way was to look for the radiation of the local
oscillator in the tuner. However, a radiating local oscillator is a 'bad
thing' because it interferes with things. With modern sets, it's
probably easier to look for the rubbish from the switch-mode power
supplies (which is often worse when the set is in standby).

It used to be said that the TV manufacturers were actually willing to
improve their designs in order to reduce the radiation, but were
pressured not to do so! I'm not sure how true any of this is. I've a
sneaky feeling that costs again come into it somewhere.

Cheers,
Ian.

Which reminded me of the "Cat Detector Van" sketch. Monty Python was so
good.

tom
K0TAR
Old July 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Howard

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:36:11 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

[...]

Don't you mean the "Looney Detector Van"?

Howard

Old July 15th 04, 04:24 AM
Tom Ring

Howard wrote:

Don't you mean the "Looney Detector Van"?

Howard

I think there may have been that one, too. It was fertile ground for
jokes in the UK at the time as I remember.

tom
K0TAR

Old July 15th 04, 04:59 PM
Jim Kelley

Howard wrote:
Which reminded me of the "Cat Detector Van" sketch. Monty Python was so
good.

tom
K0TAR

Don't you mean the "Looney Detector Van"?

Howard

:-)

"I've never seen so many bleeding aerials." I think it's called the
'Fish License' sketch.

jk ac6xg
Old July 16th 04, 02:46 PM
Brian Kelly

wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

[...]

But . . but . . so the cop punches the button, turns loose a monster
burst of RF and the perp's engine sputters out. What prevents the RF
from also shutting down the engine in the Looney Van? The cops will be
issued Looney Vans equipped with RF-proof 1956 Stromberg carburetors
or what?? That would thrill the EPA and the EU envirofreaks no end . .

Sometimes I wonder about these academics . . last month it was the
University of Rhode Island . .

Howard

w3rv
Old July 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Brian Kelly wrote:
But . . but . . so the cop punches the button, turns loose a monster
burst of RF and the perp's engine sputters out.

What prevents the perp from having his own RF gun? Are the cops
going to be driving 1960 Pontiacs?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 16th 04, 11:26 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:

What prevents the perp from having his own RF gun?

Well, nothing. You can't outlaw them, because then only they would have
them!

Guy runs into a 7-11 wielding an RF gun and says: "Gimme all the money
or I'll screw up your TV reception!" :-)

73, Jim AC6XG