Old February 25th 04, 05:03 PM
Gerry Moersdorf

Default RDS technical question

What does it take hardware wise and relative cost wise to add RDS to an
existing FM station. I am puzzled as to why the #1 FM station here in
columbus oh still does not have the RDS channel working.

Old February 25th 04, 07:16 PM
Scott Dorsey

Gerry Moersdorf wrote:
What does it take hardware wise and relative cost wise to add RDS to an
existing FM station. I am puzzled as to why the #1 FM station here in
columbus oh still does not have the RDS channel working.

It doesn't take more than a few hundred dollars to buy a box that just
generates a subcarrier with the station call sign.

But if you want to put actual useful information out from RDS, that can be
substantially more expensive.
--scott

Old March 12th 04, 01:22 AM
Mario dei Pintarei

Hi,
An RDS (or RBDS as you have there in the US) generator is a very simple
machine. What you need is an RDS generator (a complete one may cost around
$1000). You simply connet it after your stereo generator, on the MPX signal
before the FM exciter. If you want perfection you should feed the pilot
19kHz from your FM generator (not all stereo coders have this signal as an
output to use) so that the internal 57kHz generator can lock onto it without
having to extract it from the stereo feed. It isn't absolutely necessary
anyway. I know many manufacturers here in Italy, not any in the US where
prices are higher. If you need any names let me know.

Mario