Old October 15th 04, 02:08 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Butternut HF6V

Does anyone in the group have a Butternut HF-6V? I bought a used one,
and some of the insulators have cracked.

I have new insulator material, but a couple of the pieces are missing
and I can't quite tell the length.

If you had pix, or if it was near enough that I could travel to get pix
of the offending parts, I would be most grateful.

TIA - Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 15th 04, 03:35 PM
William

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Does anyone in the group have a Butternut HF-6V? I bought a used one,
and some of the insulators have cracked.

I have new insulator material, but a couple of the pieces are missing
and I can't quite tell the length.

If you had pix, or if it was near enough that I could travel to get pix
of the offending parts, I would be most grateful.

TIA - Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, I've never had a butternut, but there are manual sellers all
over the place, and a lot of websites, many for getting the antenna on
160m.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...al&btnG=Search
Old October 15th 04, 09:28 PM
Mike Coslo

William wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Does anyone in the group have a Butternut HF-6V? I bought a used one,
and some of the insulators have cracked.

I have new insulator material, but a couple of the pieces are missing
and I can't quite tell the length.

If you had pix, or if it was near enough that I could travel to get pix
of the offending parts, I would be most grateful.

TIA - Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, I've never had a butternut, but there are manual sellers all
over the place, and a lot of websites, many for getting the antenna on
160m.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...al&btnG=Search

I've been trying that. I have the manual, but it doesn't give the
dimensions I need. I suppose I could just cut some out sort of at
random, but I don't know if that might alter the performance if I get
the wires too far or too close to the main tube.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 16th 04, 12:00 AM
Dave Heil

Mike Coslo wrote:

Does anyone in the group have a Butternut HF-6V? I bought a used one,
and some of the insulators have cracked.

I have new insulator material, but a couple of the pieces are missing
and I can't quite tell the length.

If you had pix, or if it was near enough that I could travel to get pix
of the offending parts, I would be most grateful.

TIA - Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, you may download the manual for free at:

http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00366IZV.pdf

Dave K8MN
Old October 16th 04, 12:07 AM
Dave Heil

Mike Coslo wrote:

William wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

[...]

Are you writing of the fiberglas insulators in the main vertical tubing?
If so, the length isn't critical and can be compensated for in tuning
the antenna, something you'll have to do anyway. An inch or so of
exposed insulator should do it. Get plenty of the stuff inside the
aluminum tubing for strength.

Dave K8MN

Old October 16th 04, 12:11 AM
Mike Coslo

Dave Heil wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

William wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

[...]

The tube insulators are okay. The parts that are cracking are the 1/4
or 3/8 inch flat insulators made of plexiglas or the sort. Mine are
crazing, and a couple are broken. The missing parts of the borken ones
are the problem.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 16th 04, 08:42 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Does anyone in the group have a Butternut HF-6V? I bought a used one,
and some of the insulators have cracked.

I have new insulator material, but a couple of the pieces are missing
and I can't quite tell the length.

If you had pix, or if it was near enough that I could travel to get pix
of the offending parts, I would be most grateful.

I see where someone else gave you the link to Bencher...I also
have a copy of the manual for the CAP version that covers 65, 40 and
20 meters, if that would help at all...?!?

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old October 18th 04, 01:02 AM
Mike Coslo

Steve Robeson, K4CAP wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Does anyone in the group have a Butternut HF-6V? I bought a used one,
and some of the insulators have cracked.

I have new insulator material, but a couple of the pieces are missing
and I can't quite tell the length.

If you had pix, or if it was near enough that I could travel to get pix
of the offending parts, I would be most grateful.

I see where someone else gave you the link to Bencher...I also
have a copy of the manual for the CAP version that covers 65, 40 and
20 meters, if that would help at all...?!?

Thanks all! I was able to get a handle on the insulator size. I made
the new ones, and put the antenna up this afternoon. Now I just need to
hook up the ground wires and tune 'er up. This winter I'll be doing a
lot of comparison between the new one and my OCF dipole.

- Mike KB3EIA -