Old June 30th 05, 01:01 AM
james

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:29:26 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

The rig has no way of detecting any alleged "reflected power". It can't
tell the difference between a feedline with a lot of "reflected power",
a feedline with no "reflected power", and a plain resistor. It behaves
exactly the same in all cases, provided only that the impedance that
each provides to it is the same.

*****

Agreed that a rig cannot detect the difference between forward and
reflected power. If the reflection coeffiecient of the source is zero
then final stage of a transmiter will look purely resistive to any
power reflected by the load. Thereby that refelcted power is
dissapated as heat. Other reflection coefficients at the source will
yield lesser amounts of reflected power from the load as heat.

james

Anyone not convinced of this should put a couple or more dummy loads in
series or parallel, make up a few lengths of transmission line of
various impedances, and see for himself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

james wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:42:49 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the reflected current arrives out
of phase with the forward current, then the final dissipation can
actually be *reduced* by the mismatch.

*****

Power is power. Phase is not a problem. Take the mafnitude of the
transmitted power and teh magnitude of the reflected power. The
results are phaseless. The magnitudes add linearly.

QED

james

Old June 30th 05, 01:10 AM
Frank Gilliland

On 29 Jun 2005 14:53:29 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote in
.com:

Frank Gilliland wrote, among other things, "The point is that the error
is insignificant when the directional coupler is much shorter than the
wavelength."

Certainly "directional couplers" for HF may be built at essentially
zero length, and ideally would have exactly zero length, monitoring the
current and voltage at a single point on a line. Then SWR or
reflection coefficient magnitude or even complex reflection coefficient
may be calculated under the assumption we know the desired reference
impedance. But if the equipment combines the voltage and current
samples in the wrong ratio, you will get the WRONG answer. Even if the
coupler looks like a perfect 50 ohms impedance section of transmission
line (with some attenuation), the error _in_measurement_output_ can be
significant indeed. Just because the coupler looks like a 50 ohm line
to the line it's hooked to doesn't mean it will read zero reflection
when IT's presented with a 50 ohm load.

SWR is a ratio, not an absolute value. It doesn't matter if the meter
reads a forward power that's off by 1 or 1000 watts just as long as
the reflected power is in error by the same percent, which will be the
case unless you are using two different meters for forward and
reflected power. Calibrated or not, SWR is the same.

And by the way, not everyone who measures and cares very much about SWR
(or reflection coefficient) cares a whit about field strength. Not all
loads are antennas.

That point might be relevant if this thread were cross-posted to
alt.heaters.induction or rec.dummy-loads.

Indeed, as Reg says, we might do better in amateur applications to
consider the SWR meter as an indicator of the degree to which we're
presenting a transmitter with the desired load.

I agree 100%.

That's really what
we're using it for, most of the time.

Unfortunately, it's that "most of the time" part that starts threads
like this. Some radio operators mistakenly think SWR is a measure of
antenna efficiency.

It may ALSO be interesting to
know the field strength, but please be aware that a transmitter's
distortion products may be significantly higher if it's presented the
wrong load impedance, even though the power output may be increased.
Field strength alone is not acceptable to me as a means to adjust an
antenna load to a transmitter, or as a way to adjust the operating
point of the transmitter.

True story. It's certainly better to use a tunable FSM if one is
available. And such meters are readily available -- any receiver with
a good S-meter.

Old June 30th 05, 01:12 AM
Tom Donaly

james wrote:

wrote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the reflected current arrives out
of phase with the forward current, then the final dissipation can
actually be *reduced* by the mismatch.

*****

Power is power. Phase is not a problem. Take the mafnitude of the
transmitted power and teh magnitude of the reflected power. The
results are phaseless. The magnitudes add linearly.

QED

james

Cecil was talking about current, not power. You can't add
power the way you can voltage and current. If you could, you
could build a very nice perpetual motion machine just by using the
reflections in a transmission line to add power so that the output
was greater than the input.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

******

Tom

The problem is that current is not reflected back from the load, power
is. Thus the you can add magnitudes of power.

james

Nope. You need a course in electromagnetics. Who put all these
ideas into your head, anyway?
73,
Tom
Old June 30th 05, 01:12 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:44:57 GMT, james wrote
in :

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:18:56 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

Yep. And I should add that 18' of coax is recommended not because of
it's propogation characteristics -inside- the coax, but because of
it's velocity factor on the -outside- of the shield which is nearly 1.
IOW, when the shield of an 18' length of coax is grounded only at one
end, that ground will be reflected at the other end of the coax. At
least that's the theory. In practical use it's not perfect, but it's
still better than a fully ungrounded radio or antenna

*****

your reasoning does not pass the common sense rule.

if 18 feet is special because the velocity factor outside the shield
is nearly 1, then no other length has a velocity factor of nearly 1?

......huh?

What would cause the outside velocity factor to change?

Change from what?

Beisdes I really don't care to rehash this topic to much more. Been
there, done that and don't care to review it right now.

Good, because I don't think you have a very good grasp of the concepts
involved.

Old June 30th 05, 01:17 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:36:26 GMT, james wrote
in :

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:24:44 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

And #4 is exactly why #1 is incorrect: the 'characteristic' impedance
of a coax is constant, but it's 'input' impedance varies according to
load mismatch at the other end. If it wasn't for this fact, a tuner at
the radio end would be useless. But the point here is that if the SWR
meter is left floating with the coax shield (both of which should be
RF grounded) then the measurement can be darn near anything.

*****

What I will agree with is that the impedance seen at the input to the
coax is a reflection of the load impeadance as transformed, altered if
some don't like the word transformed, by the length of the coax. I
have no problem with that. Still this impedance is highly dependant on
the load and its reflection coefficient.

That's basically what Lance said, just in different words. So what's
the problem?

Old June 30th 05, 01:19 AM
Tom Donaly

wrote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the reflected current arrives out
of phase with the forward current, then the final dissipation can
actually be *reduced* by the mismatch.

*****

Power is power. Phase is not a problem. Take the mafnitude of the
transmitted power and teh magnitude of the reflected power. The
results are phaseless. The magnitudes add linearly.

QED

james

You need to read _Reflections II, Transmission Lines and Antennas_
by M. Walter Maxwell, W2DU. Even better, get a book on electromagnetics.
You might be able to puzzle some of it out although much of
the math might be too esoteric for you.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old June 30th 05, 01:22 AM
james

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:45:03 GMT, "Tom Donaly"
wrote:

james wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:07:17 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

What is the reason a 2:1 SWR can cause such havoc?

How can I avoid this catastrophic condition?

I feed my dipoles with 450 Ohm ladder line, but the last 20 feet or so is 50
Ohm coax, I guess that makes it work ok. I haven't blown up my finals yet.

Lions and tigers and bears Oh my...

*****

Actually can happen if you push the finals to where there is
insufficeint margin to the maximum heat dissapation. Tubes are a bit
more forgiving. Transistor inadequately heatsinked and overdriven,
typical CB usage, often have little of no margin for heat dissapation.

If the transmitter has a refelction coefficient of zero and the load
say .3, then that reflected power from the load is dissapated as heat
in the output circuits and any final transistors or tubes. Now if the
radio has a reflection coefficient other than zero that will lessen
the heat dissapation on the transimiiter. Now you get load and source
reflections convoluting within the transmission line.

You ought to model a 400 Mhz square wave with source and load
refelctions coefficients other than zero. It can get ugly

james

Consider the MRF 140, a 150 Watt 2.0 - 150.0 Mhz N-Channel
linear RF power fet. From the technical data sheet: "100% Tested
For Load Mismatch At All Phase Angles With 30:1 VSWR." You'd have
a tough time damaging this device with a mere 2:1 VSWR.
How do load and source reflections convolute within the
transmission line? That's a new one on me. My old dictionary
defines 'convolute' as "Rolled or folded together with one part
over another; twisted; coiled." The rest of the post is pretty
fanciful, too. A trip to the library would do wonders.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

******

In electrical engineering it is the instantaneous power density of two
signals passing at the same spot from two directions. That is called
Convolution. It also is a nice mathematical means of modeling SWR at
any point on a transmisison line at a particular time.

Well if you knew CBers, they are not satidied getting 150 watts from
a transistor rated for 150 watts. But in my first paragraph I thought
I made it clear but evidently I did not. I guess I must strive to
better explain myslef.

james

Old June 30th 05, 01:25 AM
james

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:12:31 GMT, "Tom Donaly"
wrote:

Nope. You need a course in electromagnetics. Who put all these
ideas into your head, anyway?
73,
Tom

Electromagnetics

james
Old June 30th 05, 01:25 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:45:03 GMT, "Tom Donaly"
wrote in
:

snip
..... A trip to the library would do wonders.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

I keep trying to stress that fact, but some people persist under the
delusion that they can learn everything they need from the internet.

Old June 30th 05, 01:31 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:22:48 GMT, james wrote:

In electrical engineering it is the instantaneous power density of two
signals passing at the same spot from two directions. That is called
Convolution.

Hi James,

No, it is called Superposition, and that is done only with voltage or
current. What you are describing may be associated with the Fourier
convolution of power series - an entirely different field (and not
even additive).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC