Old March 16th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default improve fm reception on transistor radio

I bought this old-fashioned style radio from LL Bean to listen to a
Prairie Home Companion on.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...fea t=7985-tn

It is broadcast locally on PBS radio, but I am in an apartment and am
not getting strong reception. Beyond moving the radio (which I have
tried to several locations) is there anything else I can do to improve
it?

Thanks, Scott
Old March 16th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

"Uncle Scotty" wrote in message
I bought this old-fashioned style radio from LL Bean to listen to a
Prairie Home Companion on.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...fea t=7985-tn

It is broadcast locally on PBS radio, but I am in an apartment and am
not getting strong reception. Beyond moving the radio (which I have
tried to several locations) is there anything else I can do to improve
it?

Thanks, Scott

Not much you can do unless there is an antenna input on the back.

Tam

Old March 16th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 15, 11:09 pm, "Tam" wrote:

Not much you can do unless there is an antenna input on the back.

There's no input, but there is an antenna wire that comes out of the
back of the unit about 18" long. Can I attach something to that that
might boost the signal?

Old March 16th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Uncle Scotty wrote:
There's no input, but there is an antenna wire that comes out of the
back of the unit about 18" long. Can I attach something to that that
might boost the signal?

Without a schematic, you won't know until you try it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 16th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sure, try extending that length of antenna and see what happens. If
it helps, then you have a chance of finding the optimum length for
your particular situation. Quit when you don't hear any more
improvement (or when you run out of wire or places to run it).
- 'Doc

Old March 16th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

On Mar 15, 11:09 pm, "Tam" wrote:

Not much you can do unless there is an antenna input on the back.

There's no input, but there is an antenna wire that comes out of the
back of the unit about 18" long. Can I attach something to that that
might boost the signal?

Extend it to about 30 - 31 inches with the whole wire in a straight line.

Tam

Old March 17th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If you can run a wire to a water pipe or electrical ground and over to
'close proximity' to your radio, it will probably increase reception.
It did for my little transistor radio when I was a kid (a few years back).

Old March 17th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 15, 11:09 pm, "Tam" wrote:

Not much you can do unless there is an antenna input on the back.

There's no input, but there is an antenna wire that comes out of the
back of the unit about 18" long. Can I attach something to that that
might boost the signal?

Hi Uncle

If you are ambitious, you could consider building a multiturn loop antenna
( http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/ )and coupling it to your receiver
by wrapping several turns of wire around it. A 2 foot diameter loop can
improve reception appreciably, when tuned properly.

Jerry