Old April 4th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Drake TR-4 questions

I've stared at the underside and tried to follow wires buried deep in the
tightly-bound wire bundles till my eyes are about to pop out. Can anyone
direct me where to find resistor "R-63" which is 22 meg ohm? My receiver is
very very weak, almost sounds dead although I can hear signals at a very low
level and am thinking my AVC may be the culprit.

Old April 4th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:03:26 -0500, Ernie wrote:

I've stared at the underside and tried to follow wires buried deep in
the tightly-bound wire bundles till my eyes are about to pop out. Can
anyone direct me where to find resistor "R-63" which is 22 meg ohm? My
receiver is very very weak, almost sounds dead although I can hear
signals at a very low level and am thinking my AVC may be the culprit.

Can you turn off the AVC and get better results with manual gain? I
don't know if the TR-4 does it, but many radios just hook the S meter
into the AVC line, and many just control the AVC line with manual gain:
if the TR-4 does both of those, and if the S meter doesn't move when you
change the RF gain manually, then that would be a good indication that
something is messing you up.

And, if you can manually crank up the RF gain and get a nice loud signal,
then you know it's AVC!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old April 5th 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks for your thoughts Tim.

No, there's not means to switch the AVC off. The TR-4 has a scheme whereby
signal is taken off an IF transformer and applied to an "AVC amplifier" that
feeds it
across a plate resistor that develops current which then varies the voltage
to the grids of the
preceding IF amplifiers and detector. As the voltage is varied, the output
from their plates
increases or decreases the gain, depending on whether the signal is stronger
or weaker which provides the AVC control. The S-meter comes off of the same
system. My S-meter will not adjust any lower than "S6" with the S-meter zero
pot, so I am guessing that there is too much current being drawn somewhere
resulting in too much grid bias which provides too much AVC action, which is
the same thing that rotating the RF GAIN control down does.

My problem is that I hear almost no "receiver hiss" even with the volume
control all the way up. I do hear signals, but they are very weak and
rotating the IF and RF transformer trimmers has an effect on the amount of
signal from my sig gen that I get. But the overall volume is way, way down.

In addition, if I inject a 9 MHz signal to the grid of the 1st IF
transformer, I get lots of
signal from the plate. But if I inject a signal to the grid of the 2nd IF
transformer, the signal level from its plate is very low. Ordinarily that
would mean the tube is defective, but it's not. I've swapped two NOS tubes
(that all test well on a reliable professional tube tester).I've checked
that IF amp's bypass caps and load resistors. Nothing.

So my focus is still on the AVC.

By the way, I was mistaken. What I thought was a "22 Meg" resistor is
actually a 2.2 Meg. I thought the 22 meg figure was a little "out there" but
until I compared my copy of the manual with another copy, I discovered the
printing of the
schematic was somewhat blurred causing the decimal point to be unseen. So
finding the "missing
22 Meg resistor" isn't an issue anymore. Unfortunately, as it turns out, the
2.2 Meg resistor was within tolerance. That would have
been just too easy.

Old April 5th 12, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Ernie wrote:
In addition, if I inject a 9 MHz signal to the grid of the 1st IF
transformer, I get lots of
signal from the plate. But if I inject a signal to the grid of the 2nd IF
transformer, the signal level from its plate is very low. Ordinarily that
would mean the tube is defective, but it's not. I've swapped two NOS tubes
(that all test well on a reliable professional tube tester).I've checked
that IF amp's bypass caps and load resistors. Nothing.

I'd be much more apt to suspect the IF transformer (or the ceramic cap
used to peak it) rather than the tube. Still, I'd check plate and cathode
voltages on the tube to make sure they're realistic.
--scott

Old April 5th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Ernie" wrote in message
m...
I've stared at the underside and tried to follow wires
buried deep in the tightly-bound wire bundles till my eyes
are about to pop out. Can anyone direct me where to find
resistor "R-63" which is 22 meg ohm? My receiver is very
very weak, almost sounds dead although I can hear signals
at a very low level and am thinking my AVC may be the
culprit.

First of all I highly recommend you get the DVD for the
TR-4 from Garrey
www.k4oah.com This has a lot of information not in the
handbooks including photographs of the wiring. It also has
the handbooks and schematics for all variations.
I doubt very much that its the AVC. But check the RF
gain control to make sure its not turned way down, this is
the little lever under the receiver volume control.
Another thing to check is the protection lamp. This is
a pilot lamp in series with the antenna to prevent burn out
from strong signals, remember the TR-4 was intended for
mobile use. This is a small bi-post lamp in the compartment
with the final tubes. If its open or if the socket has
gotten corroded the antenna is effectively disconnected from
the receiver. If the thing is dead on all bands this is a
possibility.
There is also a switch on the left side near the back
for Receiver or Transceiver. It can also become dirty. Just
working it a few times will usually fix it.
Beyond that clean the band switches and make sure the
tubes are tight in their sockets.
Tracing wiring is difficult because of the very compact
construction. Check these obvious things first.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old April 5th 12, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Ernie" wrote in message
[...]

OK I didn't see this post when I replied. The up-scale
reading of the S meter does suggest something is wrong with
the bias. Have you checked the voltages around V13a? It is
also worth swapping V13 in case you have a gassy one. My
other suggestions don't apply other than getting the disc I
mentioned.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old April 6th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks Richard. Yes I checked all the obvious stuff first...RF gain control,
persnickety "RCV/TRCV" slide switch on the side, antenna bulb fuse etc. Also
removed and checked the trimmer and coils of the IFs. I'm now focused on
a -0.25 VDC bias measurement on the 2 IF tubes instead of the -0.10 VDC
shown on the voltage chart.

Will update as progress is made.

Old April 6th 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Ernie" wrote in message
Thanks Richard. Yes I checked all the obvious stuff
first...RF gain control, persnickety "RCV/TRCV" slide
switch on the side, antenna bulb fuse etc. Also removed
and checked the trimmer and coils of the IFs. I'm now
focused on a -0.25 VDC bias measurement on the 2 IF tubes
instead of the -0.10 VDC shown on the voltage chart.

Will update as progress is made.

Ernie, I think you may get more help by joining one of
the Drake mailing lists. There is one at:

and another at:

Nearly the same people on both. In particular Garrey
Barrell is quite expert and may know what has happened
immediately.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old April 8th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Problem found.

Actually two problems.

In addition to the atypical grid voltage readings on the IF tubes leading me
to suspect AVC involvement, R195 (68 ohms) that feeds the cathodes of the IF
tubes (V11 and V12) and is delivered to those tubes from a jumper from V5
(6BA6) was open. Once replaced, I still had very low voltage (1/2 volt)
instead of 1.5 volt on the cathode. What else can be left? The filament? Hey
those things NEVER go bad, right? So I checked the filament voltages and,
while V12 was good (12.8 VAC), the 1st IF (6BZ6) was missing. Back and forth
a hundred times checking the little white wire from V5 that feeds the
filaments too but it was good. I look at the filament string on the
schematic and there's a 0.005 uF capacitor in parallel with the filament of
V11 which was good. Here's the very odd thing: Of course the filament for
V11 uses only one side of the leg of the filament string to develop its
voltage BUT MY VOLTAGE CHART SHOWS IT SHOULD BE 12.8 VAC. In addition, it is
clearly silk-screened on the chassis of V5, "12BA6." But yet the voltage
chart refers to V5 as a "6BA6." Figuring I'd better double check the 6BA6 or
12BA6 or whatever was in there I discovered it was a 12BA6 with its
lettering almost rubbed off. Voila. Exchanging the 12BA6 for a 6BA6
immediately returned my filament voltage on V11 to 6.3 VAC (so I notated the
correction on the manual's voltage chart), cathode voltage returned to a
healthy 1.5 VDC, S-meter easily zeroed and worked and finally
again...hissssssssssssssss.

This transceiver was given to me by a gentleman who said the receiver didn't
work very well. I think I know why.

Thanks to Scott, Richard and Garey for your suggestions. They were all good
ones but I think Richard's crystal ball may have been closest when he
stated, "check the obvious."

Old April 9th 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Ernie wrote:
Problem found.

Thanks to Scott, Richard and Garey for your suggestions. They were all
good ones but I think Richard's crystal ball may have been closest when
he stated, "check the obvious."

Good catch, Ernie.

Drake R8A Questions Ken Wilson Shortwave 0 February 4th 07 01:12 AM
Drake questions again Rob Mills Boatanchors 0 March 19th 06 10:05 PM
Drake UV-3 questions Frank Krozel Equipment 0 February 28th 05 03:21 AM
Drake TR-4C questions K5DH Equipment 0 June 14th 04 02:12 PM
Drake TR-4C questions K5DH Equipment 0 June 14th 04 02:12 PM