Old May 26th 04, 11:46 PM
Mike Terry

Default WABC re-creates the past next Monday

New York's WABC-AM (770 kHz) will sound different next Monday, Memorial Day,
between 6am and 6pm local time (1000-2200 UTC). The station will present its
annual "Rewound" special, 12 complete hours of original programming from the
60's and 70's when WABC was America's, and the world's, number one Top 40
station. Everything will be played back just as it was, including the news
and commercials.

Special guest for the day is Dan Ingram, one of the DJ's who helped create
the special sound of "77". Between 6 and 8pm local time (2200-2400 UTC) he
will join current WABC program director Phil Boyce to talk about the
station's heritage and take phone calls.

The special programming has been put together by WABC personality Johnny
Donovan, who stayed with the station after it switched to a talk format in
1982. The good news is that Donovan says he has enough material to present
these specials for the next ten years, thanks to the help of aircheck
collectors.

The first hour (1000-1100 UTC) will be a real treat for those who remember
WNYW, Radio New York Worldwide. It's a show by Les Marshak from 1970.
Marshak was the presenter of WNYW's Worldwide Hit Parade.

The WABC tribute site http://musicradio.computer.net/

(media network)

Old May 27th 04, 05:20 AM
Rose___

"Mike Terry" wrote in message ...
New York's WABC-AM (770 kHz) will sound different next Monday, Memorial Day,
between 6am and 6pm local time (1000-2200 UTC). The station will present its
annual "Rewound" special, 12 complete hours of original programming from the
60's and 70's
Special guest for the day is Dan Ingram, one of the DJ's who helped create
the special sound of "77". Between 6 and 8pm local time (2200-2400 UTC) he
will join current WABC program director Phil Boyce to talk about the
station's heritage and take phone calls.

The WABC tribute site http://musicradio.computer.net/

(media network)

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

but I'm happy for Dan Ingram, I would love to hear him again on a
regular basis

Rosemary

Old May 27th 04, 04:07 PM
Scott Dorsey

Rose___ wrote:

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.
--scott

Old May 27th 04, 05:41 PM
Sid Schweiger

Occasionally subject to interference from one of the Cuban stations but
generally an easy catch on your car radio on most of the east coast at night.

That would be nice for a nighttime program, but Rewound is running 6 AM to 8
PM...mostly under daytime conditions in the eastern US.

Old May 27th 04, 05:41 PM
Taliesyn

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Rose___ wrote:

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.
--scott

WABC comes in clear as a bell in the Montreal area. I used to listen to
it often back in the Seventies when music still ruled AM. Today it's
just another news/talk station littering the band.

Clear channel is great, though. Living in the Vancouver area back in the
mid to late Sixties I used to pick up several eastern and east coast
stations at night. Doesn't seem to work in reverse though :-(, I can't
get anything past Minneapolis, Texas and Winnipeg. The good old days!

-Taliesyn

Old May 29th 04, 01:18 AM
SFbobby

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

The entire Rewound will be streamed live on the WABC site..It will have hiccups
due to the glitchy software they use to remove copyrighted material and AFTRA
voiced spots. Maybe they've improved it...haven't listened to the regular
programming lately because of the wacko wingnut talkers.

"More Music!! On 77...W..A...B...Ceeeeeee"

Old May 29th 04, 01:18 AM
Bobby The D

Taliesyn wrote in message news
WABC comes in clear as a bell in the Montreal area. I used to listen to
it often back in the Seventies when music still ruled AM. Today it's
just another news/talk station littering the band.

Clear channel is great, though. Living in the Vancouver area back in the
mid to late Sixties I used to pick up several eastern and east coast
stations at night. Doesn't seem to work in reverse though :-(, I can't
get anything past Minneapolis, Texas and Winnipeg. The good old days!

My guess is that you wouldn't have much luck picking up east coast
stations in Vancouver today with the increased electrical noise and
just general band clutter.

Another reason it's tough to hear west coast radio on in the east is
that there aren't many powerful signals out that way, and even fewer
that aren't directional.

Old May 29th 04, 01:18 AM
King Pineapple

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.

Unfortunately, this programming will only be on the station during
"daylight" hours....I can get WABC in the daytime up here in New Hampshire,
but usually only in the cold weather months.

Craig