Old October 1st 05, 07:20 PM
TOM

Default What Amateur Radio Emergency Communications?

I thought I might share a couple of observations I've made regarding the
Amateur Service; the situation in other locations may differ.

Based upon my adventures last year in Florida when we got pounded by three
hurricanes I was interested in finding out the utility of my Ham two meter
transceiver by taking advantage of Field Day (simulated emergency test) in
June. I raised a collinear with an advertised gain of 7 dB to thirty feet
and powered my transceiver with a deep cycle battery. Operating on the
'National Simplex Calling Frequency' 146.52 MHz with 75 watts output power I
attempted to find out how many stations I could contact and the extent of my
operating range during the test. From my numerous calls I was able to
contact NO ONE! Not one person responded to my Field Day calls throughout
the day and I heard NO ONE calling Field Day! Not one Ham could I find
operating Field Day on the two meter National Simplex Calling Frequency! Yet
to my surprise, I was able to consistently 'key-up' repeaters from
Jacksonville to Palm Bay---approximately 2/3's the length of the state of
Florida. And to consider, this is an amateur service simulated emergency
test in Florida occurring only 10 months after the destruction of Charley,
Frances, and Jeanne. It made me wonder just how interested Hams are in
emergency communications. I did have a nice conversation with a fellow 100
miles away via his repeater.

With regard to the Alaskan Emergency Frequency of 5167.5 kHz. As the FCC
recently granted amateurs five channels in the HF (60 meter) band: 5332,
5348, 5368, 5373, and 5405 kHz, it would seem to me that the ARRL would have
taken an interest and evaluate those frequencies for channelized emergency
operations. The frequencies between the 75 and 40 meters bands might offer
propagation characteristics of both bands and make those channels
particularly useful for short and long haul message handling.
Furthermore, the Alaskan Emergency Frequency channel might be added to the
new assignment for emergency use in the lower 48. Ideally, the 60 meter
amateur band might become an important part of an emergency response
provided by the amateur service. But, I just don't see any interest by the
ARRL and those frequencies, every time I check them, remain unused.
A citation from the ARRL's Petition for Rule Making to the FCC
concluded, in part, "An Amateur Allocation in this band (60 meters) would
improve the Amateur Service's already exemplary record of providing
emergency
communications during natural disasters when even modern communications
systems typically fail." Perhaps the ARRL may take a break from their
publishing activities someday and investigate its possibilities.

Additionally, its odd about the amateur service that proclaims itself to be
devoted to emergency service but dropped its distress frequencies. Until
the 1960's the ARRL had specific calling frequencies reserved for distress
and safety in the HF bands for radiotelephone and radiotelegraphy. These
frequencies were regularly printed in its journal 'QST'. I haven't found
out why the ARRL dropped them. Its beyon my comprehension that a
communications service, world wide in extent, that doesn't assign
frequencies,
routinely monitored, for distress signaling and calling. Similarly, some
years ago,
a manufacturer hardly wanted to discuss the necessary modifications of my
transceiver so I could access the, FCC authorized, 5167.5 kHz amateur
service Alaskan Emergency Frequency. It was only through the force of my
professional credentials did they finally agree and sent me the service note
I required. I like to point out that until recently, as far as I know,
Yaesu, (FT-857 and FT-817 for example) is the first amateur equipment
manufacturer to provide amateur equipment capable of accessing the Alaskan
Emergency Frequency without equipment modification. If the amateur service
is so concerned with emergency communications why did it take so long for
this to occur?

After nearly forty years as an amateur radio operator, these are some of the
issues that make me reconsider the utility of the amateur service as an
emergency communications provider . Although the amateur service has
played a significant role in handling emergency communications in the past,
the changing face of technology has relegated the amateur service to
a position of little consequence---possibility, with better leadership,
the amateur service can regain its former stature.

I sincerely think, that with the devastation of Charley, Frances and Jeanne
last year, and Katrina this year, the ARRL really needs to get off their ass
and come up with a serious emergency communications plan. I suspect that
the ARRL is a 'has been' organization and a new vision for amateur radio
(emergency communications) needs to take their place.

Old October 1st 05, 08:11 PM
Dave

"TOM" wrote in message
I thought I might share a couple of observations I've made regarding the
Amateur Service; the situation in other locations may differ.

Based upon my adventures last year in Florida when we got pounded by three
hurricanes I was interested in finding out the utility of my Ham two meter
transceiver by taking advantage of Field Day (simulated emergency test) in
June. I raised a collinear with an advertised gain of 7 dB to thirty feet
and powered my transceiver with a deep cycle battery. Operating on the
'National Simplex Calling Frequency' 146.52 MHz with 75 watts output power

ok, so you don't know about the modern field day. today field day is not
about emergency communications, its a time to get out in the woods, drink
some beers, tell war stories, and maybe make some contacts... since vhf
isn't a place to make lots of contacts most field day operations are on hf.

As the FCC
recently granted amateurs five channels in the HF (60 meter) band: 5332,
5348, 5368, 5373, and 5405 kHz
every time I check them, remain unused.

ok, so you aren't checking them at the right time. they are used, though
lightly since many radios need modifications, lots of people don't have
antennas for them, and the channelized requirements are rather odd so lots
of people aren't really interested in them... especially since there are no
operating events, contests, awards, or other reason to be there if you
aren't interested in propagation exploration.

A citation from the ARRL's Petition for Rule Making to the FCC
concluded, in part, "An Amateur Allocation in this band (60 meters) would
improve the Amateur Service's already exemplary record of providing
emergency

yeah, yeah, what else did you expect them to say? thats probably
boilerplate they put on every memo they send to washington or gettysburg.

Additionally, its odd about the amateur service that proclaims itself to
be
devoted to emergency service but dropped its distress frequencies. Until

this might be nice to have, but then again there are so many frequencies
claimed by so many different nets and organizations that finding some place
to do this would be a real pain. then it would end up being a constant
battle between those who want to keep it clear and those who want to use any
clear frequency they can find. emergency frequencies are easily proclaimed
for short periods by the fcc and as seen in recent hurricane operations they
are relatively well respected world wide and very well utilized.

out why the ARRL dropped them. Its beyon my comprehension that a
communications service, world wide in extent, that doesn't assign
frequencies,

the arrl is not a communications service. they are a membership body, if
the members aren't interested it won't get done. world wide allocation of
frequencies would have to be done via the iaru and then would only have the
force of a recommendation on each of the member countries since each one has
its own regulatory body like the fcc who may or maynot add the force of law
to such recommendations.

transceiver so I could access the, FCC authorized, 5167.5 kHz amateur
service Alaskan Emergency Frequency. It was only through the force of my

i thought you were in florida? anyway, mods for most radios can be found
easily on-line these days. and for radios like the ft-1000mp its just a
matter of pressing a few secret button combinations and you can transmit
anywhere, right out of the box you could receive anywhere anyway so you
could monitor those frequencies.

Although the amateur service has
played a significant role in handling emergency communications in the
past,
the changing face of technology has relegated the amateur service to
a position of little consequence---possibility, with better leadership,
the amateur service can regain its former stature.

then why are they now recruiting for relief operators to go in to the
katrina and rita areas to continue operating with fema and other agencies?
if we were of so little use why do they still want our help? and apparently
will want it for a while yet in just that area??

I sincerely think, that with the devastation of Charley, Frances and
Jeanne
last year, and Katrina this year, the ARRL really needs to get off their
ass
and come up with a serious emergency communications plan.

have you talked to your section emergency coordinator recently, that is the
starting place? he/she should be able to provide you with the local plans
and links to training courses and all the other stuff you want to know.

Old October 1st 05, 08:44 PM
Korbin Dallas

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:20:03 +0000, TOM wrote:

[...]

Well FM on 2, 6 or 10m is not used for Field Day, I don't know why but its
not,

However if you had gone to 2M SSB you would of had better luck.
In North Texas we usually work just over 100 stations on 2 quite a few more on 6m.
In fact 6m was open most of field day and we worked most of the USA that
day.

Over all the years going to field day I can only remember working 1
station on 146.52 on field day and that was a accident as we were using it
as a local calling channel and happened to hear another Field Day group
doing the same thing some 300 miles away.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Old October 1st 05, 09:12 PM
TOM

Dave wrote in message
news

"TOM" wrote in message
[...]

yea... your are right---poor leadership and vision. The simulated emergency
is not a simulated emergency test but more of a sales opportunity for ARRL
pins and tee-shirts. HOW ABOUT AN FD IN WINTER?

[...]

Yea... that's why I provided the cite

Additionally, its odd about the amateur service that proclaims itself to
be
devoted to emergency service but dropped its distress frequencies.

Until

this might be nice to have, but then again there are so many frequencies
claimed by so many different nets and organizations that finding some

place
to do this would be a real pain. then it would end up being a constant
battle between those who want to keep it clear and those who want to use

any
clear frequency they can find. emergency frequencies are easily

proclaimed
for short periods by the fcc and as seen in recent hurricane operations

they
are relatively well respected world wide and very well utilized.

yea... a screwed up mess---amateur radio. If I needed to pass distress I'd
go military/commercial instead of trying to convince a bunch of knob
twisters that I am legit traffic.

out why the ARRL dropped them. Its beyon my comprehension that a
communications service, world wide in extent, that doesn't assign
frequencies,

the arrl is not a communications service. they are a membership body, if
the members aren't interested it won't get done. world wide allocation of
frequencies would have to be done via the iaru and then would only have

the
force of a recommendation on each of the member countries since each one

has
its own regulatory body like the fcc who may or maynot add the force of

law
to such recommendations.

yea... how many decades of proclaimed emergency service---CFR Title 47,
Part 97 Amateur Radio Service

transceiver so I could access the, FCC authorized, 5167.5 kHz amateur
service Alaskan Emergency Frequency. It was only through the force of

my

i thought you were in florida? anyway, mods for most radios can be found
easily on-line these days. and for radios like the ft-1000mp its just a
matter of pressing a few secret button combinations and you can transmit
anywhere, right out of the box you could receive anywhere anyway so you
could monitor those frequencies.

yea... besides hobby lobby radio I worked global communications for numerous
military/commercial telecommunications circuits at locations thoughout the
world. Yea... no internet back then, picked up new rig and headed
overseas---needed info not BS.

Although the amateur service has
played a significant role in handling emergency communications in the
past,
the changing face of technology has relegated the amateur service to
a position of little consequence---possibility, with better leadership,
the amateur service can regain its former stature.

then why are they now recruiting for relief operators to go in to the
katrina and rita areas to continue operating with fema and other agencies?
if we were of so little use why do they still want our help? and

apparently
will want it for a while yet in just that area??

yea... last I heard FEMA was phasing them out and besides, what took the
ARRL so long to respond (many comments). Furthermore, what was the state of
affairs of comms in NO---hams said practically everything was down.

I sincerely think, that with the devastation of Charley, Frances and
Jeanne
last year, and Katrina this year, the ARRL really needs to get off their
ass
and come up with a serious emergency communications plan.

have you talked to your section emergency coordinator recently, that is

the
starting place? he/she should be able to provide you with the local

plans
and links to training courses and all the other stuff you want to know.

I'm trying to raise and interest outside of 'normal' channels---SEC's
haven't shown any initiative---can't get out of their wheelchairs.

Isn't this a poor way of responding to a post? Thanks Dave for your
comments though.

Old October 1st 05, 09:12 PM
TOM

Korbin Dallas wrote in message
news
[...]

Howdy Korbin:

Back decades ago it was not uncommon to operate FD on 2 meters---only
simplex exchanges are allowed (we let the novice operators use the club
call). Of course, back in the 1970's and 80's there was much more 2 meter
activity than now.

I couldn't think of a better frequency that the 'National Simplex Calling
Frequency' to make my FD calls on. As you suggest, 2 meter SSB might have
proven better but I was interested in common FM (base/portable/mobile)
operation.

From the ARRL website:

[snip]
Field Day 2005 Rules

2. Object: To work as many stations as possible on any and all amateur bands
(excluding the 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands) and in doing so to learn to
operate in abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions. A premium is
placed on developing skills to meet the challenges of emergency preparedness
as well as to acquaint the general public with the capabilities of Amateur
Radio.
[snip]

Old October 1st 05, 10:02 PM
Mike Coslo

TOM wrote:
[...]

How many hams do you think are going to be on two meters?

Knowing the propagation characteristics of two meters, do you
extrapolate how many hams are on two meters across the nation?

hint: there *are* some, but not very many. If you think about it a bit,
you will come up with the reasons why.

[...]

Why the ARRL? Go straight to the FCC with your idea. They are the ones
who are calling the shots.

Additionally, its odd about the amateur service that proclaims itself to be
devoted to emergency service but dropped its distress frequencies. Until
the 1960's the ARRL had specific calling frequencies reserved for distress
and safety in the HF bands for radiotelephone and radiotelegraphy. These
frequencies were regularly printed in its journal 'QST'. I haven't found
out why the ARRL dropped them. Its beyon my comprehension that a
communications service, world wide in extent, that doesn't assign
frequencies,
routinely monitored, for distress signaling and calling.

Whenever there is an emergency, frequencies *are* designated for
emergency handling net purposes.

And as for a full time designated frequency, it isn't needed. Is there
a good reason why a person should call on a frequency where no one might
be listening. If I have an emergency and need to get hold of someone,
I'm going to go to some frequency where I can hear someone already.

Of course, we *could* always use CB channel 9! ;^)

[...]

I don't think it works that way any more. Volunteer amateurs were kept
out of the affected areas, at least for Katrina. In the system as it is
set up now, we aren't anywhere near calling the shots. Unfortunately
those who have been are perhaps not doing a very good job themselves.

It ain't the ARRL's fault

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 1st 05, 10:19 PM
Dave

"TOM" wrote in message

Dave wrote in message
news

"TOM" wrote in message
[...]

there is nothing outside of 'normal' channels. and about all you are going
to get for posting those comments in here are 2 things... more 'amen'
messages from arm chair complainers like you, or 'get bent' messages from
others. like it or not the arrl is as close are you are going to get to a
nationwide organization that could do anything about what you are
complaining about. if your sec can't do the job, then find their boss and
convince them that you can do a better job... don't think their boss works,
then try to take their job. you obviously have the experience, so get in
there and do it.

Isn't this a poor way of responding to a post? Thanks Dave for your
comments though.

which other response would you like... a hollow 'amen' that does nothing, or
a nasty 'get bent' that just stirs the pot with the same result?

Old October 1st 05, 10:34 PM
LRod

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:20:03 GMT, "TOM" wrote:

I thought I might share a couple of observations I've made regarding the
Amateur Service; the situation in other locations may differ.

Based upon my adventures last year in Florida when we got pounded by three
hurricanes I was interested in finding out the utility of my Ham two meter
transceiver by taking advantage of Field Day (simulated emergency test) in
June.

Problem #1. The event in June (Field Day) is not a simutlated
emergency test. It is an emergency preparedness exercise. I believe
there are a couple of SETs (actual title) during the year, and at
least one is in the winter, if I recall.

Operating on the 'National Simplex Calling Frequency' 146.52 MHz

Problem #2. I didn't check the FD rules specifically, but the rules
for ARRL contests generally (and don't think that FD isn't a contest)
prohibit contacts on the calling frequencies.

From my numerous calls I was able to contact NO ONE! Not one person
responded to my Field Day calls throughout the day and I heard NO ONE
calling Field Day! Not one Ham could I find operating Field Day on the two
meter National Simplex Calling Frequency!

Based on my previous paragraph, I'm not at all surprised by that.

Yet to my surprise, I was able to consistently 'key-up' repeaters from
Jacksonville to Palm Bay---approximately 2/3's the length of the state of
Florida.

Problem #3. Did you ID every time you kerchunked those repeaters?

And to consider, this is an amateur service simulated emergency
test in Florida occurring only 10 months after the destruction of Charley,
Frances, and Jeanne.

Problem #1A. Field Day still isn't a simulated emergency test.

It made me wonder just how interested Hams are in emergency communications.

Problem #4. I wonder how interested you are in emergency
communications. Why didn't you get together with any local groups and
participate in their Field Day operation? After all, if it was a
simulated emergency test, as you insist on calling it, and you are all
in a lather about hams' interest in emergency communications why
weren't you actively involved in it instead of kerchunking 2M
repeaters?

I did have a nice conversation with a fellow 100 miles away via his repeater.

Instead of participating in the emergency preparedness exercise? Why
didn't you get on HF and work some of the tens of thousands of FD
staions that are on from Saturday through Sunday? If you think wide
area disasters such as hurricanes are going to be well served by 2M FM
communications through repeaters you are as naive as those who think
cell phones are going to be their salvation in the same event.

Ideally, the 60 meter amateur band might become an important part of an
emergency response provided by the amateur service. But, I just don't
see any interest by the ARRL and those frequencies, every time I check
them, remain unused.

What does the allocation say? I haven't looked at it, but when we got
the 10 MHz allocation several years ago it was on a secondary basis
with a fairly serious proscription regarding interference. That and
the narrow bandwidth of the allocation is why 10 MHz is excluded from
both contests and operating awards. Any chance 60M is similar? It
would seem so based on the FD rules segment you quoted: "2. Object: To
work as many stations as possible on any and all amateur bands
(excluding the 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands)..."

After nearly forty years as an amateur radio operator, these are some of the
issues that make me reconsider the utility of the amateur service as an
emergency communications provider .

After more than forty years as an amateur radio operator, I see the
emphasis on emergency communications the one consistent thread from
the League all these years. In the local club I was involved with in
Illiniois for several years and the one local club here in Florida it
actually got tiresome as more and more of the 2M ops were more
interested in shiny badges and flashing lights than actual
communications preparedness.

Although the amateur service has played a significant role in handling
emergency communications in the past, the changing face of technology
has relegated the amateur service to a position of little consequence---
possibility, with better leadership, the amateur service can regain its former
stature.

Leadership begins from within. Instead of kerchunking repeaters and
trying to make "contest" contacts on the calling frequency, you should
be participating in FD--if not with an organized group, then by
yourself, on HF, not whining on usenet three months after the event.

I sincerely think, that with the devastation of Charley, Frances and Jeanne
last year, and Katrina this year, the ARRL really needs to get off their ass
and come up with a serious emergency communications plan. I suspect that
the ARRL is a 'has been' organization and a new vision for amateur radio
(emergency communications) needs to take their place.

You said, "based upon my adventures last year in Florida when we got
pounded by three hurricanes..." Did you get off your ass and provide
any emergency communications assistance? Or did you spend your time
kerchunking repeaters in 2/3 of the state?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Old October 2nd 05, 12:28 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Gee TOM....do you think you had problem on the "National Simplex Frequency"
of 146.52 because you are NOT SUPPOSED TO USE IT for contesting?

Just a thought.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 2nd 05, 12:36 AM
Caveat Lector

Read the ARRL Field Day Rules at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2...s-fd-2005.html

SEZ "9.3. Remember that the national simplex FM calling frequency of 146.52
MHz should not be used for making Field Day contacts."

We made lots of contacts on 2M SSB often 144.200 MHz

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !