Old April 1st 12, 02:17 PM
Senior Member

Think about it - Net time - those old hams - their knobs are set in stone and they refuse to operate except on that one frequency.
It might as well be channelized.
40 meters - most people won't even turn the knob and you almost never hear anyone yelling CQ - because the net people has their own little channel where they talk and when they are done talking - they shut the radio off.
20 meters on the weekend and evenings is just as bad.

10 meters is so quiet - the only people you get to talk to most times is someone from somewhere else.
Then when the retarded contests comes along - you can barely find a place to talk between 28.300 and 28.500 mhz.

80 and 160 meters at night is just as bad.
All the cussing and swearing and sex talk going on.

Then you have these new hams - the ones with the cell phones, the internet and walkie talkies - because they do not understand how transmitting works and they refuse to spend any money.

At the same time - you can't buy used equipment anymore, because the vultures scarfs up all the used equipment they can find from the SK hams.
Half the times it is sold on flea bay for more then it is worth!

The quality of people - with the CB radio crowd and kids taking it over - it might as well be CB radio.
You can't teach people who's ears are closed and mouths are open.

At the same time, the doors on the old hams houses might as well be made out of solid steel - because very few people gets into their shacks and you definitely don't get to talk on their equipment.

Because the old hams refuses to teach the new hams, and because some of the old hams are lousy LIDS and doesn't know how to operate in the first place - nothing is being taught.

Its hard to teach ham radio to these people who's only radio is a hand held.
What is there for them to learn except how to program it.
Old April 1st 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Amateur Radio

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message

Multiple snippages of blah-blah-blah

--
Channel Jumper

CJ: Would you mind advertising your malcontentment somewhere else?

"Sal"
( a happy guy in almost total disagreement with all that whining)

Old April 1st 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

[...]

I haven't seen it that way over 50+ years of hamming. What I have seen are
hams off pursuing their own particular technical interests. Some ragchew on
one frequency on 75, and others are always working on moonbounce antennas,
etc. Some are heavily involved in clubs and examinations.

You'll find a diversity of activites among hams throughout the years if you
look at the overall picture.

Old April 1st 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4/1/2012 8:17 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:
Think about it - Net time - those old hams - their knobs are set in
stone and they refuse to operate except on that one frequency.
It might as well be channelized.

I guess you would know, being as you call yourself the "channel
jumper"... :/

40 meters - most people won't even turn the knob and you almost never
hear anyone yelling CQ - because the net people has their own little
channel where they talk and when they are done talking - they shut the
radio off.

Well, of course... I never call CQ on phone.. Only pikers and
people with bad radio breath need to call CQ on phone..

20 meters on the weekend and evenings is just as bad.

People have been known to turn off their radios after
operation for years and years..

10 meters is so quiet - the only people you get to talk to most times is
someone from somewhere else.
Then when the retarded contests comes along - you can barely find a
place to talk between 28.300 and 28.500 mhz.

Well now.. lets see 28.300-28.500.. That's the old "novice"
phone band. Which is a fairly tiny sliver of 10m.
I guess it never occurred to you to maybe bump it up the
band a bit?

80 and 160 meters at night is just as bad.
All the cussing and swearing and sex talk going on.

BS.. You will hear very little of this on 160m..
And not nearly as much as you might think on 75..

Then you have these new hams - the ones with the cell phones, the
internet and walkie talkies - because they do not understand how
transmitting works and they refuse to spend any money.

What about them? As long as they don't bother me, I could care
less what they do. If they want to prowl the neighborhood with
a belt full of HT's, how would this effect you?

At the same time - you can't buy used equipment anymore, because the
vultures scarfs up all the used equipment they can find from the SK
hams.

BS again.. No one is scarfing up anything unless the estate
decides to sell, and they are the ones in a position to decide
a price.

Half the times it is sold on flea bay for more then it is worth!

Only in America is such a thing possible.. :|

The quality of people - with the CB radio crowd and kids taking it over
- it might as well be CB radio.

It's obvious that you really don't have a clue.. CB radio crowd?
There is no CB radio crowd, and there hasn't been a CB radio crowd
for many years. I listened to an old E.F. Johnson CB the other day,
when I dug one out of my vast supply of radios, and gave it away
to a friend of mine.
I didn't test it out before I took it over there, but we plugged
it in at his house. It worked. But there was no crowd on the CB
spectrum. :/ You would be lucky to hear a lost truck driver..
BTW, my friend is not a CBer per say.. He just likes to overhaul
these old radios and then sell them on flea bay for vast amounts
of money.

You can't teach people who's ears are closed and mouths are open.

You also can't teach people who spend all their time channel
jumping..

At the same time, the doors on the old hams houses might as well be made
out of solid steel - because very few people gets into their shacks and
you definitely don't get to talk on their equipment.

This is true. I don't want any hairy legged whiners bothering me.
My door isn't steel, but it's fairly thick wood, and I'm quite well
armed. So if the door doesn't stop you, I will, when one comes
crashing through it. And I never miss.

But also, you have to consider that if you have seen one shack,
you have pretty much seen them all. :/
Also, I'm generally bored with radio at the house, and spend much more
time tinkering with and flying my 737 NG simulator these days,
than playing with all my radios.
I spend much more time on the radio when I'm at my recreational
living center, than I do at home.

Because the old hams refuses to teach the new hams, and because some of
the old hams are lousy LIDS and doesn't know how to operate in the first
place - nothing is being taught.

Life is a bitch, and then some end whining about it..

Its hard to teach ham radio to these people who's only radio is a hand
held.
What is there for them to learn except how to program it.

Funny.. I had no problem learning about ham radio, even when I
had no ham radios at all.

Old April 2nd 12, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 13:17:50 +0000, Channel Jumper wrote:

[...]

Have you considered a Digital mode? There are still mindless babblers but
at least you don't have to hear them. I run psk31 QRP DX. If I make a QSO
it is very short and to the point.

Old April 3rd 12, 04:01 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
[...]

There is two TNC's on the floor - in a box.
That is probably the best place for them.
As long as people thinks that the only reason for APRS is to play Where's Waldo - there is no use putting up the antenna and turning it on.

It looks to me like I hurt some of the forum retards feelings.
I guess there is more then one person on this forum - who's only transceiver is a walkie talkie or that uses echo link to get their radio fix - because they are too cheap or too poor to go out and buy a real radio.

A forum name can be what ever you want.
I could post my call sign - but that wouldn't prove who I am - just that I am a licensed amateur.
Even that does not tell the whole story - since I have been around this longer then what most people who calls themselves old hams has been.

The purpose of most nets is to reserve a certain frequency at a certain time so retards who are mindless and cannot make a QSO or take traffic can get on the air and say their call sign and no traffic and feel like real hams.

Most of them goes into panic mode when you try to pass traffic.
Even the PA 80 meter phone and traffic net is mostly made up of people like that.
So the only thing we can do is wait and see if these people will someday die off and the net die's due to a lack of participation and we get rid of many of these useless / unnecessary nets.
Old November 18th 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ye, that is correct...... Thank you
Old November 19th 12, 08:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

....got it...thanks for the info.....

Old November 20th 12, 11:17 PM
Senior Member

[QUOT[/i][/color]

Have you considered a Digital mode? There are still mindless babblers but
at least you don't have to hear them. I run psk31 QRP DX. If I make a QSO
it is very short and to the point.[/quote]

OLIVIA is what the world is going to as far as RACES is concerned.

I have the equipment here to do so, but can't see the point, since it wouldn't be much different then using the internet - except that there isn't any internet or wires involved - other then the transceiver and the antenna.