Old August 31st 10, 09:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.

Where would you place 'Point' the Bottom-Far-End for the
best DXing ? [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ] & WHY ?

Given that it is claimed that in general the Sloper produces
it's best reception in the direction of the Bottom-Far-End.

Coax Cable to the Feed-Point and Top-End-Feed-Point.

Thinking of Rigging a Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
as a Sloper or buying one of these Pre-Make Slopers.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html

Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0799.html

Eavesdropper Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0013.html

i want to know ~ RHF
Old August 31st 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 31, 7:11*am, dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.

Where would you place 'Point' the Bottom-Far-End for the
best DXing ? [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ]& *WHY ?

Top-fed slopers in an open space are essentially omnidirectional. *Most
of the radiation happens at the feed point. The slantwire and the
support structure form a low Q mass that also radiates, equally well in
all directions.

Dale P. has always recommended using his PAR end-fed as a sloper with
the feedpoint near the bottom and thus giving a nice short run to
ground. Good omni results and a high radiation angle. I think this
would work for me if I did not have such a battery of RFI generators
around my home.

Bruce
Old August 31st 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 31, 10:00*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11*am, dave wrote:

RHF wrote:
[...]

-
- Bruce

BpnJ,

Now that is very Smart of Dale Par [W4OP]
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3707
{Now... Why Didn't I Think of That !?!}

Plus -if- you run the Coax Cable directly underneath
the Antenna Wire; it would act as a Counterpoise
and a more uniform ground field.
- simplify - simplify - simplify -

Sort of the same approach that Wellbrook in the UK
recommends for a Far-End feed-point for a better
Inverted "L" Antenna.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html

But that would eliminate the Tall rotational Center-Point
for directional testing : Which is OK since I am only
looking for the best single Direction be it N? E? W? S?

I guess that the SWL Sloper Antenna Designs by
both Alpha Delta and Eavesdropper were built around
using the Side of a House* as the High-Mounting-Point.
* Taking what the Customer already has and building
on that; to make the installation as simple and easy
as possible. {A No Brainer}

While most Amateur {Ham} Sloper Antennas generally
have a Bottom Feed-Point except for those attached
to an existing Tower/Mast.

BpnJ - tyvm for the tip ~ RHF
Old September 1st 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 31, 7:11*am, dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.

- - Where would you place 'Point' the
- - Bottom-Far-End for the best DXing ?
- - [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ] & WHY ?

- Top-fed slopers in an open space are essentially
- omnidirectional. Most of the radiation happens at
- the feed point. The slantwire and the support
- structure form a low Q mass that also radiates,
- equally well in all directions.

Dave - Tha is All very True for Transmitting Antennas
that are 'Radiating' Power from them; be it 1W, 10W,
100W, 1KW . . .

But a Receiving Antenna collecting 'free' Radiated
Power from the Either in the order of mW ~ nW :
The Direction {lay of the wire}; Ssize {length of the
wire}; and Position {angle of the wire} can each and
all contribute to the 'general direction' that the Wire
will gather 'more' RF Signals from : Given that some
RF Signals will be Radiating from a Point-Source
and mostly Traveling a specific Path between the
originating Point-Source and the specific Location
of the Receiving Antenna.

in search of the one-best answer . . . ~ RHF
[ N ? E ? W ? S ? ] & WHY ?
Old September 1st 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 31, 2:45*am, Bob Dobbs wrote:
- - RHF wrote:
[...]

.
.

- If you've got the room to select a direction, why not have a series
of stakes at
- different points of azimuth and maybe a carabiner fastening setup so
the thing
- could be quickly changed depending on your preferred direction at
the time?
-
- --
-
- Operator Bob
- Echo Charlie 42

"OB",

Given that I am on the West Coast of the USA
Northern California Sierra Foothills.

1 - Receive Trans Pacific Shortwave strongly from
New Zealand & Australia & Singapore & China &
Japan & Russian Far-East

2 - Receive Shortwave from the East Coast of the
USA very good.

3 - Receive Shortwave from South {Latin} America good.

4 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from Europe well.

5 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from Middle-East
Region well at all.

6 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from Africa well.

7 - Do NOT receive Shortwave from India etc well.

What Diriection would you 'Point' the Bottom-End of
a Sloper Antenna for the best DXing from : Europe ?
Middle-East ? Africa ? and India ?

? N ? E ? W ? S ? and WHY ?

in search of the one-best answer . . . ~ RHF

Old September 1st 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 31, 4:01*pm, RHF wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11*am, dave wrote:

RHF wrote:
What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.

- - Where would you place 'Point' the
- - Bottom-Far-End for the best DXing ?
- - [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ] & *WHY ?

- Top-fed slopers in an open space are essentially
- omnidirectional. *Most of the radiation happens at
- the feed point. The slantwire and the support
- structure form a low Q mass that also radiates,
- equally well in all directions.

-correction- 'Tha' to "That" just for M II )

- Dave - That is All very True for Transmitting Antennas
- that are 'Radiating' Power from them; be it 1W, 10W,
- 100W, 1KW . . .

But a Receiving Antenna collecting 'free' Radiated
Power from the Either in the order of mW ~ nW :
The Direction {lay of the wire}; Ssize {length of the
wire}; and Position {angle of the wire} can each and
all contribute to the 'general direction' that the Wire
will gather 'more' RF Signals from : Given that some
RF Signals will be Radiating from a Point-Source
and mostly Traveling a specific Path between the
originating Point-Source and the specific Location
of the Receiving Antenna.

in search of the one-best answer . . . ~ RHF
[ N ? E ? W ? S ? ] & *WHY ?
*.
*.

Old September 1st 10, 06:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 31, 7:18*pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

Though I have not been living on the West coast, nevertheless one
cannot expect strong signals from certain areas over there . In
dealing with such unstable propagation as we had in the last few years
a single antenna may not be sufficient and re-orienting it may not be
enough. Over here,in NYC I tried using a commercially made sloper
antenna in the early 90's and didn't see it performing substantially
better than a simple random length wire. That applies only to my
location,that is. . . The best antenna I EVER had was a home-made
T2FD. Much quieter,had some gain and it was absolutely
omnidirectional as far as I know. It used a 9:1 balun transformer from
Palomar (sadly they stopped making it). Reception was
outstanding,considering the RFI and other man-made noise omnipresent
over here.
Old September 1st 10, 11:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 31, 10:37*pm, wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:18*pm, RHF wrote:

[...]

T2FD : Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole Shortwave Antenna
http://www.johncon.com/john/T2fd/

- It used a 9:1 balun transformer from Palomar
- (sadly they stopped making it).

-fyi- The Palomar Engineers "MLB-1" Magnetic
Longwire Balun for Shortwave {Radio} Listening
Antennas is still being made. ~$50US
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/MLB-1/mlb-1.html

-*Reception was outstanding,considering the RFI
- and other man-made noise omnipresent over here.

Several years ago I bought a used Wellbrook [UK]
Universal Magnetic Balun UMB T2FD and never
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/UMBT2FD.html
got around to using it. IIRC it is somewhere down
in sub-basement # 3 -but- like I bought it and
stuck it on a shelf and don't think that I have seen
it in years. Heck I have not been down to check
out sub-basement # 3 in years . . . hope that the
sump pumps are still working . . . got to add that
to my To-Do List on the next trip to Alameda, CA.

I already have two SWL Antennas up here in
Twain Harte, CA -but- neither seems bring in
Europe; the Middle-East; Africa and India.
Old September 1st 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:00 am, wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11 am, wrote:

RHF wrote:
[...]

I have an Alpha Delta DX-B half sloper. It feeds at the top. That's why
it works so good. The current max is 40 feet in the air.
Old September 1st 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

Dave - Tha is All very True for Transmitting Antennas
that are 'Radiating' Power from them; be it 1W, 10W,
100W, 1KW . . .

Reciprocity says that the same rules apply to receiving.

Here's the listen only version of the Alpha Delta. It is top fed for
best performance as well.

http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxswlii.htm