Old September 27th 03, 04:01 PM
Guy Davis

Default Receiver advice needed

I live near New Orleans. A couple of months ago, to prepare for hurricane
season, I bought the "wind-up" Grundig FR-200 at the local Radio Shack.

I used a set of headphones from my Walkman with it, and have really enjoyed
listening to the High and Low shortwave bands (no SSB, though). I'm
hooked -- I really enjoy scrolling through those bands.

So, right now there are two radios on my nightstand (the Grundig FR-200 and
a Sangean CCRadio Plus) which is one too many. The CCR+ has AM/FM/WX/TV (I
couldn't care less for TV sound on a radio). The FR-200 has
AM/FM/SW-Low/SW-High. Both radios are amazingly good quality units, and the
$40 Grundig gets almost as good AM signals as the $160 CCR+, but the "slide
rule" analog tuning skewed to lower AM frequencies can't compare with the
completely even-scaled digital tuning of the CCR+ for finding stations
quickly (especially in higher AM ranges).

I'd like to have the AM/FM quality (including the amazingly good digital
tuning system) of the CCRadio Plus with a good shortwave receiver (this time
with SSB) in one unit.

What do you folks suggest? Would a Sangean ATS-909 be what I'm looking for,
or what? The budget is $300 or less.

Thanks,

G. Davis
Picayune, MS

Old September 27th 03, 04:11 PM
Mitchell Regenbogen

New: Take a look at the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. Superior in sensitivity off-
the-whip to the ATS-909, and less expensive, although they may be
temporarily hard to find. Also, the Grundig YB-400, which is somewhat
less sesnitive than the Sony but with better on-board audio.

Used: You can probably, within your budget, acquire the best AM/FM/SW
portable ever built, the Sony ICF-2010, which can be had used for under
$300. A larger unit, but outstanding on all AM/SW bands, very good
audio, reliability, etc. Check ebay.

"Guy Davis" wrote in
:

Old September 27th 03, 11:21 PM
David

If you're happy with the wind-up Grundig audio and like the CCR, you
may want to check out a Sangean ATS-505. It is very similar to the
CCR in ''style''. Most Sangeans have very good MW performance.

I would avoid the Sony 2010, based on my personal experience. They
are somewhat quirky and sound pretty flat.

Old September 28th 03, 01:09 AM
SW

How can one have "one too many radios"? I have dozens of radios and am
always looking for more (and I know I'm not alone in this addiction)......

Old September 28th 03, 03:03 AM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

My first shortwave was a ATS-909. It was OK. I just found it lacking in
sensitivity. Also, I live in the midwest and I found the performance of
this radio was hurt greatly by the lack of synchronous selectable sideband
(SSB). The fading was pretty bad, even on signals close to my geographic
region.

Based on your budget, I second the reccomendation of a used Sony ICF-2010.

Old September 28th 03, 03:27 AM
RHF

GD,

Well if SSB is not your thing and you are mainly a Broadcast Listener
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR with AM-SYNC is the better choice over the
Sangean ATS-909.

Here is a "Review" of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Mitchell Regenbogen

Old September 29th 03, 12:11 AM
Guy Davis

Mitchell, David, SW, "J.I.A.W", and RHF

Thank you all very much for replying.

SW, on the "too many radios" comment, I meant that my nightstand (next to my
bed) was cluttered. I like to put on headphones and "surf" until I feel
like dozing off, so I was interested in a good all-purpose radio. Also,
it's not that I don't want SSB, it's that my little wind-up Grundig doesn't
have it. I'd like to check it out.

You guys made a long list a lot shorter. Mitchell and "J.I.A.W", that Sony
2010 looks like an incredible unit. I'm just a little nervous about buying
a used radio. I'll be looking for one for sure.

David and RHF, it's definitely between a high-end Sony and a high-end
Sangean now. I'm going to visit some of the "gray market" electronics
places on Canal Street in New Orleans next week and check out your
recommendations.

Thanks again!

Guy

"RHF" wrote in message
m...
GD,

Well if SSB is not your thing and you are mainly a Broadcast Listener
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR with AM-SYNC is the better choice over the
Sangean ATS-909.

Here is a "Review" of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html

~ RHF
.
.