Old June 6th 05, 12:43 AM
Tebojockey

Default ID assistance for a Brazilian station

Folks, I had a great opening to Brazil the other night and got a
station on 4775, which I'm not too sure of. Horrendous static crashes
and high speed data on channel were maddening!

Anyway, this started around 0944 GMT on 4775. The announcer truly
believed in the "Power of Echo" as that effect was on constantly (or
maybe it was studio room acoustics).

Played standard Brazilian pop. Several times I heard an ID, and
several times in that ID I heard "liberal." Now, there was a Radio
Liberal out of Belem on there, but the WRTH says it's inactive. Radio
Congonhas and Radio Portal da Amazonia are also listed, but heard
nothing like that in the ID. Radio Amarela is supposedly only a
construction permit as of this date....

So.....Has anyone heard what's active on this freq? I'm hoping it's a
re-activated Radio Liberal, but I'm gonna be pragmatic in any case!

Al in CNMI

Old June 6th 05, 04:34 AM
John Plimmer

Al, the only two entries I can find in the latest Danish DX Club Tropical
Band survey a
A 4775 1 B R Congonhas, Congonhas, MG [¤ Oct-Feb] 0830-2400v P. Usually with
Evangelical px MAY05
A 4775 0,5 PRU R Tarma, Tarma, Junín W 1000-1400 2000-0400, Su 1100-1400
2000-0400 S APR05

But if I have a difficulty IDing a Brazilian station, I usually send an
audio clip to the chaps at:
www.ondascurtas.com
they are very helpful and usually manage to ID my clips without any
dificulty.
Good luck!

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old June 7th 05, 01:24 AM
Tebojockey

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 05:34:34 +0200, "John Plimmer"
wrote:

Al, the only two entries I can find in the latest Danish DX Club Tropical
Band survey a
A 4775 1 B R Congonhas, Congonhas, MG [¤ Oct-Feb] 0830-2400v P. Usually with
Evangelical px MAY05
A 4775 0,5 PRU R Tarma, Tarma, Junín W 1000-1400 2000-0400, Su 1100-1400
2000-0400 S APR05

But if I have a difficulty IDing a Brazilian station, I usually send an
audio clip to the chaps at:
www.ondascurtas.com
they are very helpful and usually manage to ID my clips without any
dificulty.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info, John! Unfortunately, I had a moment of brain
freeze and didn't make audio clips, so I guess I'm S.O.L. until maybe
I heard them again. I have all kinds of notes, but no recordings.

Your info has definitely been stored for future reference! Thanks
again!

Al in CNMI

Old June 7th 05, 02:48 AM
dxAce

Tebojockey wrote:

Folks, I had a great opening to Brazil the other night and got a
station on 4775, which I'm not too sure of. Horrendous static crashes
and high speed data on channel were maddening!

Anyway, this started around 0944 GMT on 4775. The announcer truly
believed in the "Power of Echo" as that effect was on constantly (or
maybe it was studio room acoustics).

Played standard Brazilian pop. Several times I heard an ID, and
several times in that ID I heard "liberal." Now, there was a Radio
Liberal out of Belem on there, but the WRTH says it's inactive. Radio
Congonhas and Radio Portal da Amazonia are also listed, but heard
nothing like that in the ID. Radio Amarela is supposedly only a
construction permit as of this date....

So.....Has anyone heard what's active on this freq? I'm hoping it's a
re-activated Radio Liberal, but I'm gonna be pragmatic in any case!

I looked all over and could not find a reference to Radio Liberal being reactivated.
Doesn't mean it's not so however.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 8th 05, 04:20 AM
Tebojockey

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:03:03 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

Tebojockey wrote:

Folks, I had a great opening to Brazil the other night and got a
station on 4775, which I'm not too sure of. Horrendous static crashes
and high speed data on channel were maddening!

Anyway, this started around 0944 GMT on 4775. The announcer truly
believed in the "Power of Echo" as that effect was on constantly (or
maybe it was studio room acoustics).

Played standard Brazilian pop. Several times I heard an ID, and
several times in that ID I heard "liberal." Now, there was a Radio
Liberal out of Belem on there, but the WRTH says it's inactive. Radio
Congonhas and Radio Portal da Amazonia are also listed, but heard
nothing like that in the ID. Radio Amarela is supposedly only a
construction permit as of this date....

So.....Has anyone heard what's active on this freq? I'm hoping it's a
re-activated Radio Liberal, but I'm gonna be pragmatic in any case!

I did listen this morning around 0915 and there was a station there which may have been
Brazilian, however the static crashes were so great it was hard to tell. After 0930 the
station was totally gone which seemed pretty odd, but about that time sunrise is
overtaking Brazil.

I tuned back in to 4775 about 0955 and found a station there in Spanish but I didn't
stick around due to the static (I want to protect my ears!). The 0955 time, and the
absence of anything there after 0930 would lead me to believe that the station you
heard was possibly Radio Tarma out of Peru which seems to sign on around 0950 or so:

http://www.sover.net/~hackmohr/sw.htm

I'll try to check it out again one of these mornings when I get up early and the static
isn't so bad.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Wow, I appreciate all the work you've done to try and help out. The
station I did hear was most definitely in Portuguese (everything ended
in "ao" versus "ion"). I had it again last night with a smaller
opening, but the signal was so weak and the static so bad, that I just
gave up. I intend to keep plugging. This is a matter of principle!
LOL

Thanks again for your help. Nice to know there are people out there
willing to lend a hand (ear?) when one gets stuck!

Al in CNMI

Old June 8th 05, 12:23 PM
dxAce

wrote:

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

No problem. One way or the other we'll figure out who is there and at what time. That's part
of the fun!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 9th 05, 01:52 AM
John Barnard

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

Maybe this website will be of some use to you (and others):
http://paginas.terra.com.br/arte/sar...orasBrasil.htm

The last update is for May 2005 and it lists 4 Brazilian stations on 4775 kHz
(including Radio Liberal) as being active. The bad news is that all 4 stations are 24
hr stations!

Good luck with getting an id on the station!

Good DX

John Barnard

Old June 9th 05, 11:58 PM
Tebojockey

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:52:49 GMT, John Barnard wrote:

Tebojockey wrote:

[...]

I finally did ID it guys! I had another excellent opening last night,
and it was R. Congonhas. It is the only signal I can hear there, so I
am betting that it was one and the same station, especially since it
came in at the same time and format.

Al in CNMI

Radio call letters: What do they mean? Mike Terry Broadcasting 34 March 7th 05 04:47 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 03:51 PM
FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM