Old October 28th 03, 07:07 PM
Rich

Default Help Please! Extremely Poor Reception In Turkey

Hello all. I own a Sony ICF-SW77 ... it's a hot receiver and it
worked INCREDIBLY well in the US before I left to come overseas again
(the reason I bought it in the first place). Bottom line is that my
reception SUCKS (with a capital "K")!

My high-rise apartment faces Europe (West-NorthWest of my location in
Ankara). I have been using current primetimeshortwave.com
schedules and I have not been receiving much other than weak and
spotty VOA broadcasts and occasional French, Russian, British (BBC)
and Belgian broadcasts, but that's about it. I am using the near 20'
wire that comes with the radio and hanging it out of my window ... but
no help ... same as leaving it in the apartment. I've tried using the
preamp selector in all 3 modes (off, hotter'n'hell, and
super-hotter'n'hell). I've tried it from the hotel I lived in for two
months and now at my apartment for over 6 months. I have never heard
the Voice of Turkey either ... ? I bought a Torus Tuner, but like Ed
said, it wouldn't work too well with this hot receiver, so I don't use
it much. I might have to get another receiver so I can enjoy the
loop's benefits ... but the XYL will kill me ... again ... ;-)
Further, there's no point in buying another radio if I can't get this
one to work well.

The noise is unlike I've ever heard before ... my Timewave DSP-599zx
doesn't even help much in this environment. I'm beginning to wonder
if this darned country/government is jamming shortwave broadcasts.
Can't be ... or is it??? Thoughts or suggestions?

Please don't reply via e-mail as I have a dead e-mail address. It's
the ultimate spam-stopper. ;-)

Sincerely,
Rich Seifert, KB2ZMF
Ankara, Turkey
Old October 29th 03, 02:34 AM
Diverd4777

In article ,
(Rich) writes:

Hello all. I own a Sony ICF-SW77 ... it's a hot receiver and it
worked INCREDIBLY well in the US before I left to come overseas again
(the reason I bought it in the first place). Bottom line is that my
reception SUCKS (with a capital "K")!

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/7125749.htm

Geomagnetic storms can also destroy satellites and electronic equipment and
short out power grids. A 1989 solar flare smaller than the latest one caused a
massive blackout in Quebec. The CFA warns that the storm could even hinder
those trying to contain fires blazing in Southern California. Firefighters
there are depending on satellite communications since ground-based microwave
antennas have been damaged by fire.

Old October 29th 03, 08:19 AM
Rich

donutbandit wrote in message

reception SUCKS (with a capital "K")!

The fact is that the solar storms are wiping out propagation at this time.

Okay ... but has this been the case since June? Any idea how long we
can anticipate the storms continuing? Thanks, Rich
Old October 29th 03, 11:36 AM
RHF

RS,

Are you using the 1/8" External SW Antenna Jack on the side of the
radio with the simple 20 Ft Wire Antenna strung outside ?

Or, are your using the simple 20 Ft Wire Antenna strung outside
"Clipped" to the Sony ICF-Sw77's WHIP Antenna ?
* Something like RadioShack Catalog #: 278-1374 = Portable Shortwave
Antenna

You did not identify whether you were using a Ground Connection; or
not.
- - - Are you using a Ground with the radio and antenna ?

PARTS: Here are two simple SWL Antenna Ideas using a few common
RadioShack TV Antenna type parts:
Catalog #: 15-1174 = 50-Ft. 300 Ohm (Flat) TV Twin-Lead
Catalog #: 15-1230 = 75 to 300 Ohm Matching Transformer (2 Ea.)
Catalog #: 15-1148 = 75 to 300 Ohm Mini-Plug Adapter
Catalog #: 15-1547 = 8 Foot Coax Cable with F Connectors (8Ft~25Ft)
Catalog #: 274-286 = 1/8" Mono-Plug

Two "TV" Parts SWL Antennas with Noise Reduction Properties:

INDOOR - Wall/Ceiling Perimeter Loop Antenna made from 300 Ohm (Flat)
TV Twin-Lead and using a 75 to 300 Ohm Mini-Plug Adapter to connect
the Antenna Element to the radio.
* The Loop Antenna Element circles the Ceiling of the Room (or a Wall
of the Room).
* The Loop Antenna Element forms a continous double loop around the
room.
* The Down Lead (FeedLine) connects to the ends of the Loop Antenna
Element.
* The TV Twin Lead is connected to the 300 Ohm Terminals of the
Mini-Plug Adapter.
* The 75 Ohm (1/8" Mono-Plug) is plugged into the radio's External
1/8" Antenna Jack.
NOTE: The Horizontal Ceiling Loop Antenna should
balance-cancel-reduce most man made noise and be Omni-Directional.
The Vertical Wall Loop Antenna will have more noise but may show some
directional properties.

OUTSIDE - Vertical [Skinny Flat Loop] Antenna 300 Ohm (Flat) TV
Twin-Lead and using a Coax Lead-In. The Coax Lead-In would be a 300
to 75 Ohm Matching Transformer; 8 Foot Coax Cable with F Connectors;
75 to 300 Ohm Matching Transformer; and 1/8" Mono-Plug to connect the
Antenna
* The Loop Antenna Element is dropped outside vertically from your
window.
* * The Loop Antenna Element is formed by connecting the two ends of
the bottom tip of the 300 Ohm TV Twin Lead.
* * This forms a continuous single skinny vertical flat loop going
down and back up.
* * This also represents a Balance 300 Ohm Load to match-up with the
300 Ohm Matching Transformer.
* The 300 Ohm Leads of the Matching Transformer connects to the ends
of the Loop Antenna Element.
* The 75 Ohm F Connector of the Matching Transformer is connected to
the 75 Ohm Coax Cable.
* The 75 Ohm Coax Cable acts as the Lead-In from the Outside to
inside the room.
* The other end of the 75 Ohm Coax Cable is connected to the 75 Ohm F
Connector of the Matching Transformer.
* The 300 Ohm Leads of the Matching Transformer are connected to the
Center/Tip and the Outer/Barrel of the 1/8" Mono-Plug.
* The 1/8" Mono-Plug is plugged into the radio's External 1/8"
Antenna Jack.
NOTE: Using the 300 Ohm TV Twin Lead in a Skinny Flat Loop Antenna
should balance-cancel-reduce most man made noise and be
Omni-Directional.

OBTW: Once this Vertical Antenna is 'assembled' it makes a good
travel SWL Antenna.

GROUND: Find a Grounding Point within/about your dwelling.
* Secure a good Grounding Point for your Radio and Antenna.
* Run a Heavy & Short Ground Wire to your Radio.
* Locate a good Case/Signal Ground Point on your Radio.
* Attach/Secure the Ground Wire to the Radio's Ground.

FWIW: Both these Antennas using common TV Antenna type parts should
be effective as SWL Antennas above 5MHz and beyond 30MHz.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Rich)
. com...

Old October 29th 03, 05:24 PM
Rich

I am using the simple 20 Ft Wire Antenna "Clipped" to the whip
Antenna. I guess I'll need to go to radioshack.com and get some
parts. This is frustrating. Thanks RHF!

Rich

Old October 30th 03, 04:05 AM
Diverd4777

Rich:
Is this lack of reception during the day or at night?
Night SHOULD be much better..
ALSO:
- have you taken the set outside and tried it there? there may be " local"
noise
that you pick up. You might be able to find a " Quiet " spot in your apt, then
put up an antenna there & feed it into your set via co-ax.

Are you running it on Batteries to eliminate line noise ?

It's Possible a pre selector hooked to an external antenna MIGHT filter out
some of the crap and leave SW signals..

Dan

Old November 1st 03, 06:31 AM
Rich

Dan, the lack of reception ocurrs both day and night. I have not
taken it outside ... I'll do that today. I'll even look for a quiet
spot as you suggested. Batteries/power adapter seem to make no
difference. Can you please tell me more about the "preselector"
you're mentioning. What is this? How does it work? Where can I get
one? How much will it cost? Is it possible to build myself
(schematic)? Sorry your reply resulted in more questions.

Thanks for all of your help ... all of you who posted...

Old November 1st 03, 06:39 AM
Rich

RHF, I went to radioshack.com and tried to see what some of your parts
were ... I have no idea. They're not listed in the catalog any more.
For example, Cat#: 15-1148 = 75 to 300 Ohm Mini-Plug Adapter
It's an old part number and apparently not available any more ... I
even searched for a "Mini plug adapter" and "75 300" and got nothing
similar.

What do you suggest for me? Thanks kindly...

Rich Seifert, KB2ZMF
Ankara, Turkey
Please don't reply to this e-mail address ... it's a dead address ...

Old November 1st 03, 12:17 PM
MRe

"Rich" schreef in bericht
om...
Dan, the lack of reception ocurrs both day and night. I have not
taken it outside ... I'll do that today. I'll even look for a quiet
spot as you suggested. Batteries/power adapter seem to make no
difference. Can you please tell me more about the "preselector"
you're mentioning. What is this? How does it work? Where can I get
one? How much will it cost? Is it possible to build myself
(schematic)? Sorry your reply resulted in more questions.

Use of a preselector is (in most cases) a bad advise. I don't think it will
help in your case/situation. A preselector will help ONLY in the case when
the radio is badly overloaded by a transmission OFF the recieved frequency.

You have to find the source of the extremely high (man made) noise in your
surroundings. And beat it, either by eliminating the noise, either by
finding an antenna solution (shielded loop).

MRe
(Netherlands)