Old January 21st 04, 07:13 PM
Simon

Default FC-20 Antenna Tuner broken on 10m ?

Hi,

I'm using a Yaesu FC-20 ATU but find it won't work on (or near) the 10m
band. IF I try to tune the tuner takes ages and the 'SWR bars' on the 100D
seem to flicker as if there is a bad connection and then the tuner gives up.
It's not because the antenna is a bad match because i've tried a windom with
about 2-1 match and also a half-wave vertical whch is a good match at 1.5-1
but the tuner still can't 'see' this good match and won't tune.

Is there something in the tuner that is only used for 10m? Maybe a certain
inductor with a bad connection/broken that when it tries to 'select' for 10m
doesn't work? Or could it be the radio istelf? The tuner seems to work very
well on all the other bands (though it can be quite slow and sometimes
misses the best swr and finishes with 'two bars' for the match)

Thanks for any help,

Simon
gm1exk

Old January 22nd 04, 01:04 AM
Jim

Hi- Have the same tuner , on my FT-847 , and works great, even in excess of
4:1, on all bands.
Might be possible that (because of reactive components), even tho swr looks
low, that they
causeing greif, OR might be bad component. Might try this: If you haven't
got a dummy load,
beg, borrow, or buy one at least at your transmitter's output power. Connect
your antenna tuner,
input, and, your tuner output port to your dummy load.
Now , turn on the tuner, and repeat, allowing it time to try to tune your
1:1 load to maximum.

IF it fails step 2, then probably has at least one bad component, has had
arcing, or a cold
solder joint in it! Also, be sure to check your patch cable from xcvr to
tuner!
Best of luck and 73, Jim NN7K

"Simon" Sent:

Old January 22nd 04, 02:19 AM
'Doc

Simon,
Some auto tuners won't 'work' if the match isn't 'bad'
enough...
'Doc
Old January 28th 04, 01:45 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

What's your shack RF ground look like? Sounds like
you're up on the second floor to me...
__
Steve
KI5YG