Old January 31st 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RFI/EMI/EMC Why

This link has the single best explanation of why the EMI radiation and
emission levels were set at
their current specifications.

See page 2 of the PDF.

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/81915.pdf

Terry
Old February 1st 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 31, 9:14 pm, RHF wrote:
EMI and Emissions: Rules, Regulations, and Options
http://www.edn.com/contents/images/81915.pdf

Wow 7 Pages and all too Technical for my little Brain
to Absorb in one Reading : So I will have to go back at
least 2~3 times to get a better understanding of it all.

Why not Tighten-Up the RFI/EMF/EMC Part 15 Regs by 1/3
for 5 Years; and then tighten that up by another 1/3 of that for
5 Years; with with a final 1/3 of those. Over the course of 15
Years you would end-up-with a new Reduced RFI/EMF/EMC
Level-of-Acceptance that would be 30% of the current Standard.
Allows for long term Product and Process Improvement over
a normal Manufacturing and Technological Change Cycle.

IMHO - Practically speaking for the average Consumer that
uses Over-the-Air TV and AM/FM Radio along with Cable TV
and Satellite TV/Radio the Standard has NOT Changed. The
only significant RFI/EMF/EMC Improvement for them has been
the migration to and the use of Quad-Shield RG-6 Coax Cable
from the old Single Shield RG59 Coax Cable.

~ RHF
.

Hey, I wish the FCC would just start by enforcing the current
regulations.
It will do no good to have tighter regs when the present ones are
ignored.
The FCC allows companies to "certify by design", that is if they tweak
their simulator (SPICE, PSPICE) and get a 'clean' bill of health, they
get to tell the FCC they are compliant.

As to "over the air radio and TV" they are dead or dieing medias.
Sad but true. In the Lexington area over 90% of the homes have
cable TV.

Most of the electronic garbage does pretty well at VHF and up, but
fail badly in the below 30MHz spectra.

Even this article, as informative as it is, misses maybe the biggest
culprit. Any device that bridges two or more conductor classes is
almost certain to be a RFI problem.

By classes of of conductors I mean:
AC mains and telephone; Modem, Answering Machine, Pay Per View Box
AC mains and RF (cable or antenna or satellite): decoder/receiver, TV,
VCR
AC mains and ethernet: PC with network, Hub/router

I hope you get the idea. I know for certain the FCC requires EMI
limits on all
conducted emissions, but from what I have been able to find out,
almost no
one tests their devices with all of the ports connected as they would
be
used.

Terry
Old February 8th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 31, 1:14*pm, RHF wrote:
On Jan 31, 10:34*am, wrote:
-
- This link has the single best explanation of why
- the EMI radiation and emission levels were set
- at their current specifications.
-
- See page 2 of the PDF.
-
- http://www.edn.com/contents/images/81915.pdf
-
- Terry
-

Terry/SWLer,

[...]

*.
-ps- Telamon be sure to Count* this as another one
of my 'Clueless Posts' -cause- IT IS ! ;-{
Plus Extra Credit for the : Cut, Copy and Paste Stuff. )
* Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup Readers :
Please I Need Your Votes ! -and- I Want Your Votes !
In this Weeks Race for the RRS "Clueless Troll" Award.
*.

Telamon,

This Message and Thread Needed both
Your Vast Knowledge and Great Expertise.

but alas you were once again 'mia' ~ RHF

-ps- that's 13 for me and 0 for you