Old June 30th 04, 04:44 AM
Telamon

In article ,
John Doty wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Yeah I'm miffed about the cross posting not about you or your
interests but you are to thick in the head to get that.

There's nothing wrong with cross posting of messages that are on
topic: the designers of USENET intended it to be used in this way.

Of course, you could perhaps argue that this thread is only
superficially on topic in rec.radio.shortwave, since it's not about
brain dead political ideology, the real focus of the group. I suppose
you could make a similar objection to its presence in
rec.antiques.radio+phono since greed does not appear to motivate the
participants.

Personally, I find this thread interesting: envelope detectors are
fascinatingly subtle. How to make one that sounds good for real
signals remains poorly understood. To me it's more on topic than 95%
of the messages in these groups.

And two wrongs make a right? I used to think more of you. Guess I was
wrong.

Very considerate of you to post your justification. Hope it makes you
feel better about yourself.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 30th 04, 05:46 AM
Phil Allison

"John Doty"

There's nothing wrong with cross posting of messages that are on topic:
the designers of USENET intended it to be used in this way.

** There is *plenty* wrong with crossposting - as a Google search on the
term will inform you.

That some message may be superficially "on topic" for several NGs is not
the point - different NGs have different agendas so their respective
readers will see the same matter in vastly different ways. These differing
views, brought about by differing levels of factual knowledge, life
experience and mindsets are incomprehensible to some posters and often a
flame war is the result.

............ Phil

Old June 30th 04, 03:10 PM
Willy EHart

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:44:05 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

And two wrongs make a right? I used to think more of you. Guess I was
wrong.

Two wrongs make a right for your Republican boys. Should be OK for
you.

--------------- From W's website

We Agree, It’s Disgusting

On Thursday, the campaign launched a web video titled Kerry's
Coalition of the Wild-eyed. The video featured Democrats who support
John Kerry making negative and baseless attacks against the President.
Interspersed in the video were segments of two ads that appeared on a
website sponsored by MoveOn.org - a group campaigning for Kerry - in
January.

On Friday night, John Kerry's campaign denounced our use of these ads,
and called that use "disgusting."

The Kerry campaign says, "The use of Adolf Hitler by any campaign,
politician or party is simply wrong." We agree.

We created this web video to show the depths to which these Kerry
supporters will sink to win in November.
Old June 30th 04, 07:13 PM
John Doty

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Doty wrote:

Telamon wrote:

[...]

Huh? Where did I say two wrongs make a right? Cross-posting of on-topic
material to a small number of groups is simply right, an appropriate use
of a USENET capability put in the sytem by design. See:

http://kb.indiana.edu/data/affn.html

Cross-posting can be abused, but this is not a case of abuse here.
Perhaps the original poster should have designated a followup group to
make the picky folks happy, but I'm not so picky.

Perhaps my sarcasm about the dominance of off-topic posts in a couple of
these groups confused you.

In any case, the discussion of diode detectors was interesting and
on-topic in all of these groups. Can we return there, please?

-jpd