Old October 7th 03, 06:08 PM
Twistedhed

Default Tampa Bay Hammies

A great bunch of folks who understand and comprehend the true threats to
amateur radio.
_
http://www.eham.net/articles/6675

_
The Tampa Bay Hamfest Issues a Challenge
Dan Johnson (W4BNC) on October 7, 2003
Add a comment about this article!
The Tampa Bay Hamfest Issues a Challenge
In Defense of Amateur Radio
By: Dan Johnson - W4BNC
October 6, 2003
This December 6th and 7th, the twenty-eighth annual Tampa Bay Hamfest
will continue the celebration of everything good that is Ham Radio. But
our celebration will be tempered by a new and ominous threat to our
frequencies and our operating privileges. A proposal to allow Broadband
over Power Lines (BPL) is currently pending before the Federal
Communications Commission. BPL has the potential to cause devastating
interference to the entire radio spectrum between 2 MHz and 80 MHz.
The Florida Gulf Coast Amateur Radio Council (FGCARC), sponsors of the
28th Annual Tampa Bay Hamfest, has overwhelmingly voted to donate $1.00
of each admission ticket sold at this year's hamfest to the ARRL - BPL
Legal Defense Fund. FGCARC is proud to issue the Tampa Bay Hamfest
Challenge to every other major Hamfest nationwide. We challenge you to
follow our lead by contributing ONE DOLLAR per ticket to the ARRL
Amateur Radio Defense Fund.
"I am very pleased that our group has chosen the high road to defend our
frequency privileges", says Dan Johnson, W4BNC, this year's council
president and hamfest chairman. Our success has been derived from the
dedication of a loyal core group of members from 28 ham clubs within the
West Central Florida Section that have come together with one common
goal; that is to promote a successful hamfest. At a time when many
events are on a decline we have been fortunate to experience growth over
the last 3 years.
The Florida Gulf Coast Amateur Radio Council, Inc. recognizes the
substantial threat BPL is to the over eight hundred sixty thousand
Amateur Radio licensees nationwide. For this reason, the 2003 TampaBay
Hamfest will be conducted "In Defense of Amateur Radio". ARRL Labs
Technical Manager Ed Hare, W1RFI will present information on BPL. ARRL
Southeastern Division Director Frank Butler, W4RH will discuss the
ARRL's actions, to date, to stop this threat. Other forums will focus on
positive steps Hams can take to advance the Amateur Radio art. And, our
vendors will bring the latest Ham Radio technology to their booths.
Come help us "In Defense of Amateur Radio" at the twenty-eight annual
TampaBay Hamfest, December 6th and 7th at the Manatee Co. Civic Center,
Palmetto, FL. For more information, visit our website,
http://www.fgcarc.org.

Old October 7th 03, 06:56 PM
Hambone the Magnificent

"Twistedhed" wrote in message
A great bunch of folks who understand and comprehend the true threats to
amateur radio.

How about it's greatest threat, this being ham radio has
been technologically obsolete and stagnant for
over 10+ Years now.....?

http://www.eham.net/articles/6675

_
The Tampa Bay Hamfest Issues a Challenge
Dan Johnson (W4BNC) on October 7, 2003
Add a comment about this article!
The Tampa Bay Hamfest Issues a Challenge
In Defense of Amateur Radio
By: Dan Johnson - W4BNC
October 6, 2003
This December 6th and 7th, the twenty-eighth annual Tampa Bay Hamfest
will continue the celebration of everything good that is Ham Radio. But
our celebration will be tempered by a new and ominous threat to our
frequencies and our operating privileges. A proposal to allow Broadband
over Power Lines (BPL) is currently pending before the Federal
Communications Commission.

I guess these fools do not know that the FCC has already
given the green light to BPL...

See: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-239079A1.doc

BPL has the potential to cause devastating
interference to the entire radio spectrum between 2 MHz and 80 MHz.
The Florida Gulf Coast Amateur Radio Council (FGCARC), sponsors of the
28th Annual Tampa Bay Hamfest, has overwhelmingly voted to donate $1.00
of each admission ticket sold at this year's hamfest to the ARRL - BPL
Legal Defense Fund.

Let's see.....about 1000 old crotchety curmudgeon hams will
attend to the Tampa Bay Hamfest. That's $1000
Counter this with the ISP industry's estimated $3-6 BILLION in
Lobbyist Money floating around DC at and given time......

FGCARC is proud to issue the Tampa Bay Hamfest
Challenge to every other major Hamfest nationwide. We challenge you to
follow our lead by contributing ONE DOLLAR per ticket to the ARRL
Amateur Radio Defense Fund.
"I am very pleased that our group has chosen the high road to defend our
frequency privileges", says Dan Johnson, W4BNC, this year's council
president and hamfest chairman. Our success has been derived from the
dedication of a loyal core group of members from 28 ham clubs within the
West Central Florida Section that have come together with one common
goal; that is to promote a successful hamfest.

Yeah, have another good hamfest or two before Ham Radio is
sent into the dustbin of history.....

Just speakin the truth and they can't take it.
(YOU BOYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO WAYNE
GREEN ALL ALONG! IT'S TOO LATE NOW. OH WELL.....)

Old October 7th 03, 07:12 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Hambone=A0the=A0Magnificent)
"Twistedhed" wrote in message
A great bunch of folks who understand and comprehend the true threats to
amateur radio.
_
How about it's greatest threat, this being ham

radio has been technologically obsolete and

stagnant for over 10+ Years now.....?

_
Hammie radio's greatest threats are hammies like yourself, Dave.

http://www.eham.net/articles/6675
_
The Tampa Bay Hamfest Issues a Challenge
Dan Johnson (W4BNC) on October 7, 2003
Add a comment about this article!
The Tampa Bay Hamfest Issues a Challenge In Defense of Amateur Radio
By: Dan Johnson - W4BNC
October 6, 2003
This December 6th and 7th, the twenty-eighth annual Tampa Bay Hamfest
will continue the celebration of everything good that is Ham Radio. But
our celebration will be tempered by a new and ominous threat to our
frequencies and our operating privileges. A proposal to allow Broadband
over Power Lines (BPL) is currently pending before the Federal
Communications Commission.
_
I guess these fools do not know that the FCC

has already given the green light to BPL...

See:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachm

atch/DOC-239079A1.doc

_
The only "fool" is one that can't see the forest for the trees. The gist
of the article, is matters that are of inherent concern to hammie radio,
are widely agreed upon, unlike the few who hammies in rec.radio.cb who
like to lay their life's problems at the feet of cbers who may dx.
_

BPL has the potential to cause devastating interference to the entire
radio spectrum between 2 MHz and 80 MHz. The Florida Gulf Coast Amateur
Radio Council (FGCARC), sponsors of the 28th Annual Tampa Bay Hamfest,
has overwhelmingly voted to donate $1.00 of each admission ticket sold
at this year's hamfest to the ARRL - BPL Legal Defense Fund.
_
Let's see.....about 1000 old crotchety

curmudgeon hams will attend to the Tampa

Bay Hamfest. That's $1000 Counter this with

the ISP industry's estimated $3-6 BILLION in

Lobbyist Money floating around DC at and

given time......

_
Perhaps when you rid yourself of the "Sybil" complex from which you
suffer, you may comprehend. Until then, feel free to continue to pull
numbers from your rectal orifice and set them forward as if they had
some type significance or relevance.
_

FGCARC is proud to issue the Tampa Bay Hamfest Challenge to every other
major Hamfest nationwide. We challenge you to follow our lead by
contributing ONE DOLLAR per ticket to the ARRL Amateur Radio Defense
Fund.
"I am very pleased that our group has chosen the high road to defend our
frequency privileges", says Dan Johnson, W4BNC, this year's council
president and hamfest chairman. Our success has been derived from the
dedication of a loyal core group of members from 28 ham clubs within the
West Central Florida Section that have come together with one common
goal; that is to promote a successful hamfest.
__
Yeah, have another good hamfest or two

before Ham Radio is sent into the dustbin of

history.....

_
LOL..poor chap.
_
Just speakin the truth and they can't take it.

(YOU BOYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN

LISTENING

_

And therein is your problem,,,,,,you're laughed at when you demand what
others should and shouldn't do.
_
IT'S TOO LATE NOW. OH WELL.....)

LOL,,,only for those such as yourself that cemented your lid-like
reputation, etched in usenet stone.

Old October 7th 03, 09:39 PM

Snip

The only "fool" is one that can't see the forest for the trees. The gist
of the article, is matters that are of inherent concern to hammie radio,
are widely agreed upon, unlike the few who hammies in rec.radio.cb who
like to lay their life's problems at the feet of cbers who may dx.

Snip

Not that I favor any BPL technology but it will be interesting to see
how the ever present letter of the law frequency police that troll
this group react to new rules concerning amateur radio and BPL. I
wonder if they will adhere to the letter of the law when it concerns
them?

Old October 7th 03, 10:23 PM
Mike Cavenaaugh

wrote in message
Snip

The only "fool" is one that can't see the forest for the trees. The gist
of the article, is matters that are of inherent concern to hammie radio,
are widely agreed upon, unlike the few who hammies in rec.radio.cb who
like to lay their life's problems at the feet of cbers who may dx.

Snip

Not that I favor any BPL technology but it will be interesting to see
how the ever present letter of the law frequency police that troll
this group react to new rules concerning amateur radio and BPL. I
wonder if they will adhere to the letter of the law when it concerns
them?

What it will do is shut down both ham radio and cb.
Power lines (unlike CATV) are usually unshielded
and BPL will cover the ham and cb bands with solid
10 dB over s9 white noise once it gets going. The FCC wants
this BPL so bad because it will enable "Internet Ready"
appliances like Microwave Ovens, and Refrigerators.
The FCC wants everyone to click a few keys on their
cell phone and be able to tyrn on their microwave oven
or crock pot while their still on the way home on the
Interstate like George Jetson of the cartoon series of the
same name. It will also generate huge revenue for the telephone
and power line carriers who will no doubt be able to
charge big bucks for this service like the cable TV providers
do right now. Bottom line: It's all about MONEY. Always was.
Always will be. Case closed.

Old October 7th 03, 11:47 PM
Steveo

"Mike Cavenaaugh" wrote:
wrote in message
Snip

[...]

Yep, the BPL spells gloom and doom for air to air use. BIG money will
always win the band spectrum, and all you'll be able to do is -attempt-
to jam in incoming interference.

Does that make you a keyclown if you attempt to jam something that
is stepping on your toes!?

Shame on the mess.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old October 8th 03, 12:45 AM
Jim Hampton

It will be interesting as it will not be protected from legitimate users. I
did not keep the URL, but tests were run in one area with BPL. Filters were
in use to "reduce" interference to the amateur bands. A test was run
connecting through BPL with a computer and a 20 meter dipole up some modest
height (again, I don't recall exact figures). It seems 20 watts or so
caused 70% packet loss and 50 watts rendered BPL 100% unusable. I'm not
going to say what will or will not be; it seems, to me at least, that there
was a lot of salesmanship and little technical thought in this whole
process. We shall see.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

---

Old October 8th 03, 12:49 AM
Steveo

"Jim Hampton" wrote:
It will be interesting as it will not be protected from legitimate users.
I did not keep the URL, but tests were run in one area with BPL. Filters
were in use to "reduce" interference to the amateur bands. A test was
run connecting through BPL with a computer and a 20 meter dipole up some
modest height (again, I don't recall exact figures). It seems 20 watts
or so caused 70% packet loss and 50 watts rendered BPL 100% unusable.
I'm not going to say what will or will not be; it seems, to me at least,
that there was a lot of salesmanship and little technical thought in this
whole process. We shall see.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

I'm not sure anyone really knows what will happen if they
plug that in.

"We shall see" is it.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/