Old May 17th 04, 06:57 PM
Caveat Lector

I built my Ham Desk into a 8 foot closet. First removed the sliding double
doors from the closet
then used a regular unfinished room door for the desk top -- installed into
the closet. Secured door to studs in the closet wall and used three legs to
support the front.

Covered the desk top with wall paneling. Nice appearance

Advantage -- this makes a wide desk -- plenty of room to hide cables in the
back of the rigs.

Next I built 3 shelves above the desk top. And added drawers underneath the
desk top.

This arrangement put all my Ham gear and test equipment. computers etc all
in one neat desk with plenty of space for books etc on the upper shelf

Cost is low compared to a 8 foot piece of furniture which most are not wide
enough for a good Ham Desk.

One of these days I may come out of the closet -- hi hi
--
Caveat Lector Ya All

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

Old May 17th 04, 08:56 PM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:57:23 -0500, Caveat Lector wrote
(in article 727qc.7208$65.3909@lakeread06):

[...]

There's also the old tried and true "quicky" instant-desk:

Get two full-suspension (for strength and depth (usually))
file cabinets and pot a door across them.

I used one like that when I was in school and it sure is great
for moving; much easier to move than most other desks ('cept for
my WW2 conference table).

Gray

Old May 17th 04, 09:38 PM
Rob Mills

"hamzio" wrote in message

so I'm thinking 2X8s, pressure treated.

2X8's? Pressure treated? Tell me your kidding. RM~ :-(

Old May 18th 04, 02:28 AM
hamzio

Well the piece of wood I have the ART13 on is 11" wide, about 1 1/4" thick,
and as long as the hutch (54"), and it doesn't sag in the middle. 2x4 sagged
in the middle with no support. Pressboard is out of the question. This is
the only piece of wood I found strong enough to support almost a 100 lbs of
radio and computer monitor on top shelf of hutch...

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Mon 17 May 2004 04:38:45p, "Rob Mills" wrote in

message

"hamzio" wrote in message

so I'm thinking 2X8s, pressure treated.

2X8's? Pressure treated? Tell me your kidding. RM~ :-(

2x4's and 1/2" ply built with common sense would hold as many people as

you
could stand on it. There's nothing wrong with 2x8's if you already have

them,
but it seems a bit of over-engineering otherwise. Still nothing wrong with
them though - to each his own...

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)

Old May 18th 04, 03:49 AM
Rob Mills

"hamzio" wrote in message

2x4 sagged in the middle with no support.

Your right about the support. I've built benches that would support a lot of
weight using nothing bigger than 1X's and 3/4 in MDF and plywood but have
used plenty of support, aprox every 18 in. under the top surface. Regardless
of the structure that you choose, I'd skip the pressure treated stuff for
indoor use. They don't recommend it for anything other than out door use
(decks, fences and etc.). You have to use either hot dipped galvanized or
stainless steel fasteners, anything else will rot out the newer pressure
treated stuff. Also some of the chemicals used for treating can be a hazard,
particularly when burned.

Good Luck, Rob Mills

Old May 18th 04, 05:31 AM
hamzio

I know too little about wood - I sure do appreciate the tips on the
pressure-treated boards. I won't go with those. Thanks a million!

Old May 18th 04, 06:22 PM
Tom S

And make sure to leave a 2-3" gap between the door and the back wall to
allow cable routing behind rather then on top of the desktop.

Old May 19th 04, 08:53 AM
Amish Tech Support

On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:59:24 GMT, "hamzio"
wrote:

Anyone know of a maker/distributor for exclusive-built ham radio desk
stations?

Look for used dispatch consoles from your local agencies. They
usually sell them for scrap.