Old May 2nd 04, 02:43 PM
Ken

Default Adding lengths to bare wire antenna?

I am making a 40M double extended zepp from bare copper-plated steel
wire (26 ga). The wire will be on two reels, each reel holding 87 ft.
I will also be able to use this arrangment to make shorter, resonant
antennas.

However, the reel is too small to hold 135 ft of wire, which is the
next useful length (160M resonant). What is a good way of adding a 48
ft wire tail to the wire on the reel if I find myself on rare occasion
wanting to use 135 ft. wires?

I am thinking of crimping and soldering small eyes to the wire ends
and joining them with a small stainless nut and bolt. I figure this
will take some tension. Is there a better way?

An unrelated question: If it becomes necessary to splice this wire
permanently, what is a good way of doing it? Will soldering a
twisted 1/2" overlap do the job? How do I keep the solder from
tinning (and stiffening) the wire near the joint? Is there a chemical
that will repel the solder (anti-flux)? Heat sinks?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old May 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:43:16 GMT, Ken wrote:

However, the reel is too small to hold 135 ft of wire, which is the
next useful length (160M resonant). What is a good way of adding a 48
ft wire tail to the wire on the reel if I find myself on rare occasion
wanting to use 135 ft. wires?

Since your wire is so lightweight, only 26 ga., banana plugs/jacks
might work. Otherwise, the stainless nut/bolts should do the trick. It
shouldn't take much -- I've added tails to my dipole with alligator
clips.

Bob
k5qwg

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

Old May 2nd 04, 05:25 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:43:16 GMT, Ken wrote:
If it becomes necessary to splice this wire
permanently, what is a good way of doing it? Will soldering a
twisted 1/2" overlap do the job?

Hi Ken,

By the book, such a join would be done with a "Western Union Splice."

This is a join that would be several inches long:
-----------------------------
--------------------------------------
the first overlap of wires would be three or so turns loosely twisted
about each other;
----------------////-----
-----\\\\----------------------
each tail would then be tightly twisted in at least three turns around
the wire it parallels.
-------------XXX/\/\/\XXX-------------

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 2nd 04, 08:11 PM
William Warren

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:43:16 GMT, Ken wrote:
If it becomes necessary to splice this wire
permanently, what is a good way of doing it? Will soldering a
twisted 1/2" overlap do the job?

Hi Ken,

By the book, such a join would be done with a "Western Union Splice."

This is a join that would be several inches long:
-----------------------------
--------------------------------------
the first overlap of wires would be three or so turns loosely twisted
about each other;
----------------////-----
-----\\\\----------------------
each tail would then be tightly twisted in at least three turns around
the wire it parallels.
-------------XXX/\/\/\XXX-------------

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Please post any URL you know of. TIA.

73, Bill

Old May 2nd 04, 09:15 PM
'Doc

Ken,
Your idea with the nut/bolt should work, or, just solder
the 'tail' on. Any soldered joint is going to be a bit
'stiffer' than the rest of the antenna, so keeping the joint
as short as possible would probably be less 'stiff' than a
longer one (not really, but easier to manage, maybe).
If you had another couple of reels, put the 160 meter tails
on them and use the reel(s) to 'chunk' over a tree limb. Make
the connections with the 'free' ends of the tails...
'Doc

Old May 2nd 04, 09:32 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 02 May 2004 19:11:57 GMT, "William Warren"
wrote:

Please post any URL you know of. TIA.

Hi Bill,

http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14027_122.htm

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 3rd 04, 05:49 AM
Richard Harrison

Ken, KC2JDY wrote:
"Is there a better way?"

Search on "Nicopress".

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old May 3rd 04, 03:03 PM
Richard Harrison

Ken, KC2JDY wrote:
"Smallest Nicopress I could find was 1/32" (.031") cable, 26 ga."

That`s pretty small.

If you don`t Nicopress, the "Western Union Splice" is a good
alternative. It is shown on page 20-4 of the 19th edition of the ARRL
Antenna Book as Fig 3. A copper-wire Table on page 20-2 relates wire
size in AWG / B&S to English and Metric sizes and other characteristics.

Much good information is in the 19th edition of the ARRL Antenna Book,
Chapter 20, for those who would hang wires, rods, or tubing in the air.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI