Old February 23rd 04, 03:18 PM
Judah Smith

Default Realistic \ Radio Shack DX-200 improve audio mods

I have been told one of this radio's particular weakness is poor bass
response, kind of along the lines of the DX-160. Does anyone know a
simply way to take out some of the harshness of the treble, or improve
the bass response slightly? Anyone messed around with this radio at
all, tried any mods...etc?

Thanks
Judah Smith
Old February 23rd 04, 03:47 PM
elg110254

Judah, try replacing the stock audio output cap with a 1,000uf one, as well as
replacing those thin speaker wires with thicker gauge wire. Should notice an
aural improvement! As for your DX-160, W4JBM has a list of mods on his DX-160
home page @ www.geocities.com/w4jbm/dx160.html WA6020SWL
Old February 23rd 04, 05:08 PM
Mike Knudsen

I have been told one of this radio's particular weakness is poor bass
response, kind of along the lines of the DX-160. Does anyone know a
simply way to take out some of the harshness of the treble, or improve
the bass response slightly? Anyone messed around with this radio at
all, tried any mods...etc?

I had a DX-200 for a hile, liked it, but as you say the audio was very harsh in
the treble. The problem is that this radio has very tight selectivity, which
allows no program audio above 3 or 4 KHz, but the audio section has treble
response way up above that.

I intended to hack the audio section but sold the radio first. I'd suggest
shunting the audio signal at various places with little caps, which is
basically what a tone control does. When you get the right value cap at the
right place, the harshness will go away but the program will not sound any less
clear. Good luck, mike k.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old March 5th 04, 10:24 PM
Judah Smith

I don't suppose anyone would be nice enough to tell me where I might
find that cap on the DX-200? Anyone got a number? (I see numbers
printer on the board inside next to each component (resistor,
capacitor etc.) Is there a number you can give me so I know which
capacitor to replace with the 1,000 uf one?