Old January 3rd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jim Bradley

Default Antron 99 SWR problems - weird set up

I bought a used A99 a figured I would give it to my brother to put up
in his attic. so he monted the antenna on a PVC mast that he made in
the 20' tall attic. It was a 1.5 (SWR) 1 & 40. My father decided to
play with it and now it is showing infinity on both 1 & 40 turning the
rings changes little it never drops below 3.0. can someone tell me the
correct way to tune the antenna (this way I can make sure I am doing
everything right) also does the antenna need to be grounded by anything
other then coax (ie a ground strap to cold water pipe or something
alont them lines)... please help

Jim

Old January 4th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S.

On 3 Jan 2006 14:10:03 -0800, "Jim Bradley" wrote:

I bought a used A99 a figured I would give it to my brother to put up
in his attic. so he monted the antenna on a PVC mast that he made in
the 20' tall attic. It was a 1.5 (SWR) 1 & 40. My father decided to
play with it and now it is showing infinity on both 1 & 40 turning the
rings changes little it never drops below 3.0. can someone tell me the
correct way to tune the antenna (this way I can make sure I am doing
everything right) also does the antenna need to be grounded by anything
other then coax (ie a ground strap to cold water pipe or something
alont them lines)... please help

Jim

Should have left it where it was. Call Solarcon, and see if they can tell you
the positions of the rings. Otherwise, hang a 1/2 dipole vertically. Should work
the same.

Vinnie S.
Old January 4th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dungeon Master

Hello Jim,

The A99 should have a good DC ground reference. It's sounding like the
internal parts were fried. The only time I have seen this is with high
power being fed into the A99. Go through the system. Check your coax
and connections. You may have a short in one of them. Disconnect the
coax from the antenna. use an ohm meter to measure from center to
shield of connector. This must read infnity. measure from center to
center and then shield to shield. In both cases it should be less than
1.5 ohms. When you connect the coax back onto the antenna, you should
have around 2-3 ohms through the antenna.
I hope this helps....

Dungeon Master

Old January 4th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jim Bradley

is DC ground the same as earth ground?

if everything checks out (I am going to check the coax and antenna
tomorrow) to be OK what would be my next step...

Jim

Old January 5th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

On 4 Jan 2006 13:59:49 -0800, "Jim Bradley"
wrote:

+is DC ground the same as earth ground?
+

essentially yes

james
+if everything checks out (I am going to check the coax and antenna
+tomorrow) to be OK what would be my next step...
+
+Jim
+
+Dungeon Master wrote:
+ Hello Jim,
+
+ The A99 should have a good DC ground reference. It's sounding like the
+ internal parts were fried. The only time I have seen this is with high
+ power being fed into the A99. Go through the system. Check your coax
+ and connections. You may have a short in one of them. Disconnect the
+ coax from the antenna. use an ohm meter to measure from center to
+ shield of connector. This must read infnity. measure from center to
+ center and then shield to shield. In both cases it should be less than
+ 1.5 ohms. When you connect the coax back onto the antenna, you should
+ have around 2-3 ohms through the antenna.
+ I hope this helps....
+
+ Dungeon Master

Antron 99 SWR problems - help me with this strange set up [email protected] Antenna 0 January 4th 06 12:30 AM
weird ass hams Fred Garvin CB 1 November 18th 05 06:53 PM
WEIRD AL'S HATE RADIO stamplaw Broadcasting 12 February 2nd 05 06:28 AM
OT - TELEPHONE PROBLEMS Keith Hosman KC8TCQ CB 0 June 30th 04 11:36 PM
Sangean Problems? DeWayne Shortwave 11 March 10th 04 10:36 PM