Old November 23rd 04, 03:39 PM
Ken Bessler

Default Help measuring freq of 2m rig?

I live about 15 miles from the N0KTA 146.715
repeater. I like to talk to the 146.700 repeater in
Pratt, KS (about 95 miles).

Problem is that when I transmit on 146.100 for
the Pratt machine, I inadvertantly also key up the
146.715 machine.

At first I suspected my transmitter was off freq so
I tested 3 other repeaters - 145.370 at 1/2 mile
away, 146.895 at 1 mile away and 146.850 at
3 miles away. On all three tests, I could key up
those machines as long as I was +/- LESS than 15
khz from the correct input freq. On all 3 when I
went to the next channel (15 khz spacing) up or
down, I could not key up the machine.

I also did a simplex test with an OP about 1/2 mile
away. I tx'ed DTMF #5 for 30 seconds while he
moved above and below my freq. He reported
he lost my signal as soon as he got more than 10 khz
from me. He also reported that the signal levels at
10 khz were equal between + and - .

All these tests were done with a known good antenna
& new CQ-102 coax. Rig is a 1 year old Kenwood
TM-271A. All tests were done at an indicated 68 w
which is about normal for hi power from this rig.

I'll refrain from using the Pratt repeater until this is
fixed.

My question is this - have I done enough to assume
that the problem is not on my end? Sending in my
rig for service monitor testing would be difficult & a
genuine pain in the neck.

Ken KG0WX

Old November 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
Ken Taylor

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message
[...]

Since you've tested with *very* close repeaters and not interfered with
them, it isn't your set. It's more likely inadequate filtering at the
146.715 repeater which is keying up on your adjacent channel signal. To
prove this try another set at your location; also try your set (and another,
pref.) at various locations around the area to confirm this. You could also
try with low power from your (and another?) set.

To *really* confirm that you aren't putting out spurii you need to get hold
of a spectrum analyser; a VHF radio test set would do this, but I'm a little
far to help. :-) Doubtless there's someone a little closer with the
correct gear to help out if it becomes a requirement, but I don't think it
is.

Cheers.

Ken
VK3KCT / ZL1WKT

Old November 24th 04, 01:13 AM
nitespark

Ken Bessler wrote:

All these tests were done with a known good antenna
& new CQ-102 coax. Rig is a 1 year old Kenwood
TM-271A. All tests were done at an indicated 68 w
which is about normal for hi power from this rig.

I'll refrain from using the Pratt repeater until this is
fixed.

My question is this - have I done enough to assume
that the problem is not on my end? Sending in my
rig for service monitor testing would be difficult & a
genuine pain in the neck.

Ken KG0WX

The only way to determine your rigs frequency would be to put it on a
service monitor or at the least, a frequency counter.

I have 3 service monitors and would be glad to check your rig free of
charge if you pay postage both ways.

My test equipment is calibrated to an HP GPS frequency standard so I can
give you a pretty accurate measurement.

73
Andy
WD4KDN

--
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I
approved of it."

Old November 24th 04, 04:07 AM
Ken Bessler

"nitespark" wrote in message

Ken Bessler wrote:

[...]

I resolved the question with testing. I had 5 other stations
all over the county try the same trick - I.E. transmitting 15kc
below the input to the N0KTA repeater. All 5 were able to
make the repeater key up easily.

That plus the fact that my TM-271A comes standard with a
TXCO and the simplex tests I've done has convinced me that
it's NOT my rig.

I contacted N0KTA but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Thanks to all for the advice & help.

73's de Ken KG0WX