Old January 24th 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hammarlund HQ-170

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:59:12 -0500, K3HVG wrote:

Randy,
I have both a 170C and a 170AC. The audio of Hammarlunds is not that
great but certainly usable for a vintage station. The HQ-170 uses a
tube rectifier, vs solid-state in the 170A. The A model also has an
SO239 coax connector and a flip-up cabinet top. Beyond that, there's
not a lot of difference.
If the fuse is not blown, the rig is probably OK to fire up, as-is. If
you have a Variac available, its always a good idea to bring it up
slowly the first time. Problems will probably be alignment. The 170/A
is triple conversion and if someone has been hacking at the alignment,
there's no telling how well it will, or won't, perform. One failure
mode is the 2.58 MHz oscillator. If the upper bands are dead, look into
that part of the circuitry. Its been my experience with 4-5 of these
that power supply problems and receiver alignment are the bugaboos.
That, and the crystal oscillator. Fortunately, Hammarlund didn't use any
of the nasty types of paper caps. In fact, most are disc types.
If the receiver is in nice physical condition, I'd say you may well have
a keeper. I use one with a Viking Valiant I and find it just fine on 75
and 40 meters. If yours doesn't have a clock, they can be had from
after-market sources. That goes for the clock lens, too. Oh yeah...
Hammarlund dials have a habit of really smoking up (getting very dirty).
One can remove the front panel fairly easily (more info if you need
it) and it will really brighten things up!

Good luck with your project.

de K3HVG

wb5kcm wrote:
Hello to the group, I am setting up a vintage station and just bought
an unknown/untested HQ-170 on eBay. Can anyone tell me what to check
for or what to expect when this jewel arrives? Let me know what you
think..good or bad..
Thanks, Randy, WB5KCM

Didn't the differences with the HQ-170A include the fact that they
added a separate filament transmformer or perhaps just kept the power
transformer live (don't remember which), in order to run the VFO tube
filaments on a continuous basis?

I added that mod to my HQ-170 and it tremendously reduced its warmup
drift.

After doing that, my only real quarrel with my HQ-170 was I felt that
it had a rather high internal noise level while using narrow
bandwidths with weak signal CW. It was annoying since I work CW about
75% of the time.

I ended up selling it for a good price about three years after I
bought it. I replaced it with an RME 6900 receiver.
Now THAT was a great receiver for a vacuum tube boat anchor!

Doug/WA1TUT
Old January 24th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"wb5kcm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello to the group, I am setting up a vintage station and just bought
an unknown/untested HQ-170 on eBay. Can anyone tell me what to check
for or what to expect when this jewel arrives? Let me know what you
think..good or bad..
Thanks, Randy, WB5KCM

Randy,
I used one from about 1963 to 1975.

At one point I had a strange problem.
It turned out that the voltage regulator was no longer regulating
properly. I changed the tube and it was amazing.

One problem with the 170 family is that the WARC bands were
not covered. The 180 can be used on all bands and has the HC-10/SPC-10
guts built in.

I found my 170 to be quite stable after about 1/2 hour of being on.
Best Luck!
Ed, N5EI

Old January 25th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

COLIN LAMB wrote:
snip
IF bandwidth is wide enough for good am, but some audio engineer came up
with the bizarre idea to vary the fidelity of the audio output depending
upon the avc voltage. It was called "Auto-Response" and assured distortion
when there was qsb. The fact that they promoted it rather than hiding it
never did make sense.

Hi,

The audio feedback percentage is not dependent on the AVC voltage,
but on the setting of the audio gain pot. If you leave the audio
gain at a low setting, you get more negative feedback,
hence a smoother audio response. The feedback is via resistor
R80 (100 Ohms) at the audio output transformer secondary,
to R77 (47 Ohms) between the bottom of the 1 Meg audio gain pot
and ground.

My HQ-170 audio sounded a lot better with the cardboard back removed
from the matching Hammarlund speaker housing.

My HQ-170 responded very well to an alignment, although it is more
drifty than I like. I picked up a small filament transformer
for the VFO and mixer tube continuous filament voltage mod,
but haven't quite gotten around to installing it yet.
(Can it be 5 years, now?)

73,
Ed Knobloch
Old January 26th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, wb5kcm wrote:

Hello to the group, I am setting up a vintage station and just bought
an unknown/untested HQ-170 on eBay. Can anyone tell me what to check
for or what to expect when this jewel arrives? Let me know what you
think..good or bad..
Thanks, Randy, WB5KCM

Here would be my things to check, and priority:

1. Does it turn on?
2. Can you hear stations with it?
3. Is the sensitivity up to where it should be, or low (weak tube(s)?)?
4. What is the calibration like on all bands?
5. Functionality of other stuff (AVC speed, slot filter, etc.)
6. Scratchiness/dirt in bandswitch, and pots.

I bought a HQ-170 at a hamfest several years ago and it wasn't in the best
or worst of conditions. I heard stations but the S-meter needle never went
up all that high. I actually used the receiver for many contacts. Yes,
there is warm-up drift (maybe 10 kc on 75 meters). Also, I noticed that
the receiver sensitivity actually got a little better after an hour's
warmup. Also, the crystal calibrator never worked cold (also, worked fine
after an hour warmup). Selectivity was better than on my Icom 707 and you
could move the BFO freq to adjust the position of the steep sides of the
IF passband to beat some close signals. However, my slot filter does not
work. My 170 is 160 through 6 meters; I think maybe earlier ones were only
160 through 10 meters.

Overall, its not too bad. And, when I get done with some other higher
priority work, I'm going to go through the tubes and check whether they
are weak or OK.

Yes, I'm going towards "retro" myself. Ultimate goal is to build (with
drill and soldering iron) a complete, total, homebrew tube station (AM and
SSB) mainly for 75 and 160). I already have most of a total homebrew
transmitter finished (including pair of 813s in GG). You can see some of
this at: http://www.panix.com/~asd

Public Notice: Unless you are on my whitelist for this email address, all
email to this address ) is now automatically sent permanently
into nonexistence (i.e.: /dev/null) without ever being read. If you need
to communicate with me privately, then indicate so in a newsgroup post or
response to one of my posts.

Old January 26th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks Straydog and others...lots of very good advice. Hopefully the
HQ-170 will arrive soon but I expect it early next week. I have printed
out the manual and some of the other tech notes. Making a book with all
this info. I enjoy listening to the Amers on 75 and 160 and hope to
have my own vintage station setup eventually. This HQ-170 is my first
item. After I get the HQ-170 going well, I will start looking for a
transmitter. Thanks again and 73 de Randy, WB5KCM Fort Worth, Texas

Old January 26th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi Chuck:

Well, that was from memory. You are right it is an audio feedback based
upon the gain control. The Drake 2B had negative feedback audio and sounded
better.

The last one I worked on, someone had run 100 watts into the antenna input
and that required manufacturing new coils. The forms were ruined. It would
not have been so bad, but when the radio quit, he switched bands to find out
why - with the transmitter still on.

73, Colin K7FM

Old January 27th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

And, that was Ed, rather than Chuck. I sometimes get confused after
midnight and before 11:59 pm

K7FM

Old January 27th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

1/26/07: Well I got the HQ-170 in via UPS last night. Unpacked the box
and put it on the bench. Noticed several things bouncing around inside.
Removed the 3 case screws from the rear and pulled off the cover. What
was rattling around was about 3 tube shields. I replaced these and
straightened several tubes. Checked the fuse and it looks good. Made
several checks to make sure there was no shorts, all checked good.
Don't see any burned components.
I do see a couple interesting items:
1. The first IF transformer, T1 has had several things soldered to it.
Looks like it may have been replaced some time in the past.
2. The can transformer at the rear of the chassis near V13 has been
removed and it looks like an open type adjustable transformer has been
installed in its place. There is a coax cable connected to this
transformer that is connected to the vernier tuning cap.
Connected a speaker and antenna. Plugged it in and turned it on. Got
one dial lamp burning and all the tubes look to be lighting up. After a
short warmup period, I can hear some signals on 40 meters....very nice,
the SSB and AM signals sound good. Trying the other bands...I can hear
some...only a couple signals on 75 meters and nothing on 160. I can
hear static on 20 meters and the other higher frequency bands, I can
hear static but no signals. I can hear the calibrator on these bands.
Looking at the overall physical condition of the receiver it has all
the knobs, including the clock knobs. The plastic lens on the clock is
cracked. The cabinet has a few paint abrasions, a couple dents. Needs
cleaning inside and out.
Looks like I have a good project here. Hope to get started on it this
weekend. Appreciate all the comments and hints on the restoration. If
you see something I need to look for from my description please pass it
on to me.
Thanks and best 73 de Randy, wb5kcm

On Jan 25, 5:25 pm, "wb5kcm" wrote:
[...]

response to one of my posts.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 27th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I posted some photos of my HQ-170 project on my Flickr site if anyone
maybe interested in taking a look, let me know what you think...Thanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32773176@N00/

On Jan 25, 5:25 pm, "wb5kcm" wrote:

[...]

response to one of my posts.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -