Old April 27th 05, 05:25 PM

Default Virus Alert for Rec. Radio. Shortwave

I ahve only been on rec.ra this week and was scanning the posts on
Monday when I had a brief glimpse of one line repeating endlessly for a
half second by which time it had used up all 400mb of memory, not
leaving enough mem to even shut down. Some of you might know which
virus this is. It happened so fast that I didn't even get the post. It
was not an attachment. I use Sygate, Norton, ad-aware and Spybot and
got rid of it only to pick it up again Tues somewhere off Rec Radio.
Same routines again to clear. This is just a warning to use all the
anti-virus defenses when on the site. Someone is playing games.
73...ken

Old April 27th 05, 07:10 PM

Panda is Good.I have it installed in two of my older computers.Avast is
ok too.Norton System Works with GoBack works just fine for me,no
problems so far.Here is a good website to check out about those error
messages, www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/messages.htm
cuhulin

Old April 27th 05, 07:16 PM

My computer has Windows XP Home Edition.I use Opera (I like Opera best)
and Firefox browsers.I only click on IE for downloading the latest
patches.Windows IE browser will Never be safe,it has too many inherent
ongoing problems.
cuhulin

Old April 27th 05, 09:32 PM

If you got a computer virus in your computer,I believe you got it from
somewhere else other than in the rec.radio.shortwave news group.I
haven't been useing my computer for very long so I certainly am not a
computer expert nor do I pretend to be. www.smartcomputing.com has
a free computer tech help site if you want to check it out and Kim
Komando www.komando.com has a free (she is pretty to look at
too,I think she is a real Hottie) computer help thingy too and she also
has a radio talk show on Saturday mornings.I have been getting her free
email newsletters for over five years.
cuhulin

Old April 27th 05, 10:50 PM

BARF ALERT! BARF ALERT! YOU CAN NOT! GET COMPUTERY VIRUSES FROM TEXT!
BARF ALERT! BARF ALERT! Of course you can get viruses from them wimmins
if you aren't very,very,very carefull.I once caught the Crabs off a
woman in down town Saigon in 1964.But that wasen't a virus,it was
millions of little bitty no see em's biteing the crap out of my private
parts.I went to the Medic,he gave me a little brown paper baggy of some
kind of a powder stuff.(it looked like baby powder you powder a babby's
butt with) Go take a shower and dry off and sprinkle this powder on
there,he done told me.I did that and the next morning,all of them little
bitty no see em's was Dead,Dead,Deader than Hell! I went and I took me
another shower and did it all over again.Ahhhhhhh,,, FREEDOM!
cuhulin

Old April 27th 05, 11:19 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

wrote in message
BARF ALERT! BARF ALERT! YOU CAN NOT! GET COMPUTERY VIRUSES FROM TEXT!
BARF ALERT! BARF ALERT! Of course you can get viruses from them wimmins
if you aren't very,very,very carefull.I once caught the Crabs off a
woman in down town Saigon in 1964.But that wasen't a virus,it was
millions of little bitty no see em's biteing the crap out of my private
parts.I went to the Medic,he gave me a little brown paper baggy of some
kind of a powder stuff.(it looked like baby powder you powder a babby's
butt with) Go take a shower and dry off and sprinkle this powder on
there,he done told me.I did that and the next morning,all of them little
bitty no see em's was Dead,Dead,Deader than Hell! I went and I took me
another shower and did it all over again.Ahhhhhhh,,, FREEDOM!
cuhulin

All you crabs are belong to us.

73,

Steve
--
Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Every moment of a human life is an act of worship.

Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

Old April 28th 05, 12:46 AM

All Your Base Are Belong To Us.
cuhulin

Old April 28th 05, 12:48 AM

Dan wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Dan wrote:
In article

. com,
wrote:

I ahve only been on rec.ra this week and was scanning the posts

on
Monday ...

You're nuts. You can't "get a virus" from reading text

messages.

If you actually got a virus, you got it somewhere else, not from

reading
messages here.

Get a clue.

Dan

.................................................. .............................
I hadn't been anywhere else, and I got it again from the same post.
Still interested in useful clues.......73........

Here's a clue - text messages can *not* give you a "virus". *If*

the
message contains a binary attachment, and *if* you save it, and *if*

you
then execute it, then it can happen.

But not from just reading plain text messages.

Dan

.................................................. ..................................
It did it again today on rec.radio.shwve. 400meg of memory used up in
an instant. I did the usual clean-up routines mentioned above and later
surfed the net, looked through ebay, paid some bills, read lots of
mail, sent some...the computer worked flawlessly. However, on returning
to rec.radio, this time I went through AOL wondering if their virus
protection (McAfee) would make any difference. I looked around the site
as per usual but this time nothing went wrong. Is it the AOL filters
that make a difference or has the perp gone to supper? Or is it
something else? All I know is what happened and these are the facts:
1. The thing (I am unsure what it is) uses up 400 mb of memory and
freezes the computer in an instant.
2. It only does it when I am reading rec.radio.shortwave. No other
sites are affected.
3. It gets by Norton, Sygate, Ad-Aware, and Spybot.
4. The above programs clean it up, ready for the next round.
5. No attachments or links are opened.
6. I have read rec.radio for years using Netscape and the same computer
without any problem.

Is it a program bug somewhere? Has anyone else been affected? Is it a
deep virus that emerges for some purpose? And why only rec.radio? Maybe
some mysteries are too deep for the human mind to fathom.

So, as a work-around, I can comfortably access the site through AOL and
move on to other things: I just thought that some of the group
hot-shots would recognize the virus (if it is a virus) but it's not a
big deal. The thing is that there is no point in saying that because of
this and that it could not happen. It DOES happen exactly the way I
described. Also, I realize that this is not a computer forum but thanks
to those who offered their ideas....73.......ken........end.....

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 06:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 08:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1415 ­ September 24, 2004 Radionews CB 0 September 24th 04 05:55 PM
183 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (30-MAR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 6 April 2nd 04 04:09 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1379 – January 16, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 January 18th 04 10:34 PM