Old February 27th 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Downconverters For VHF/UHF ?

Hello,

Anyone know of an "inexpensive" Downconverter that would enable the
hearing of vhf/uhf Aero frequencies on a sw radio that presently goes up
to the typical 30 MHz ?

Thanks,
B.

Old February 27th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bw bw is offline

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message ...

Hello,

Anyone know of an "inexpensive" Downconverter that would enable the
hearing of vhf/uhf Aero frequencies on a sw radio that presently goes up
to the typical 30 MHz ?

Thanks,
B.

No ideas off the top of my head for UHF, but the VHF air frequencies are
pretty easy. A standard FM radio can be easily modified to receive those,
sometimes by merely spreading the coils and doing a simple alignment.
Then, if you wish to listen on your SW, just tap off the IF strip and tune
in on 10.7 MHz.

ARRL manuals from the 80s to 90s had practical downconverter circuits. I've
listened to single channel air bands, so I suggest the OP try a wide band
scanner. eBay usually has a selection, such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIOSHACK-2...em3cc2d5 ba00

Old February 28th 12, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 27, 11:36*am, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know of an "inexpensive" Downconverter that would enable the
hearing of vhf/uhf Aero frequencies on a sw radio that presently goes up
to the typical 30 MHz ?

Thanks,
B.

This will receive the VHF aero band for $45:

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/5012.html

I don't know how good it is or if it has an
external antenna jack. I suspect you get
what you pay for.

Old February 28th 12, 02:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:05:10 +0000, Hils wrote:

ISTR that VHF-to-HF receive converters were relatively common in the
magazine adverts of the 1970s and 80s. I guess they faded out as
ready-made VHF-and-upwards receivers became more affordable (and
better). Ah, here's a nice one:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/datong_..._converte.html

Alive in well up the 101 fwy from here, Elecraft makes universal
transverters.

http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm

Old February 29th 12, 10:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 27, 8:36*am, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know of an "inexpensive" Downconverter that would enable the
hearing of vhf/uhf Aero frequencies on a sw radio that presently goes up
to the typical 30 MHz ?

Thanks,
B.

Robert11,

You might try searching eBay for :
"Air Band (Radio,Receiver,Scanner,Converter)
in Catagory 'Consumer Electronics/Shortwave'
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Radios-CB-Ha...2CConverter%29

-and- 'Vintage Electronics'
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Elec...2CConverter%29

-also-
"SW AIR Radio" in 'Consumer Electronics'
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=293&_from=R40

+plus+ "AIR Scanner" in 'Consumer Electronics'
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=293&_from=R40

hth ~ RHF