Old October 29th 03, 12:18 AM
Its Me Again !

Default Buyer Seller Beware Scam Alert

Got an answer on my ad on a radio I am selling Here is what I got in reply
after I told him my price.He must think we are all dimwits or dopes.

Dick Burke,

ok i will with immediate effect instruct my client who is owing the
sum of $1,720. to prepare you a cashier check of this said amount and as
soon as you receive the check and you cash it you will deduct yours and wire
back the diffreence back to me via [ WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER ] .
moreso i want you to calculate the cost of shipping to west africa in
additing to the said amount .

get back to me with your complete information such as ;

NAME=====

ADDRESS=====

STATE======

CITY======

PHONE NUMBER=======

reply soonest .

prince chike .

Old October 29th 03, 01:08 AM
Bruce Markowitz

Too funny
Do people actually fall for this?

Old October 29th 03, 06:14 AM
Marvin Moss

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third party
cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and he wanted
me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even answered him
with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Old October 29th 03, 08:37 PM
Panzer240

"Marvin Moss" wrote in
ink.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you !!!!

--
Panzer

Old October 29th 03, 09:00 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

"Panzer240" wrote in message

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you !!!!

When the check comes back as invalid, or forged, the bank is going to come
knocking on your account to get that hot little cash back from you...

PH

Old October 29th 03, 09:02 PM
Jonny Mc Nickle

There are doing this scam in Ireland at the moment as well. They will buy a
£10 Cashiers Cheque from a bank and then cut off the hologram and put it on
a £5000 forgery. Cashiers in the bank are even having trouble telling the
difference because they are so well done.

"Panzer240" wrote in message
"Marvin Moss" wrote in
ink.net:

Old October 29th 03, 09:08 PM
Jim_not_from_nigeria_!

Problem is the 'official' looking check arrives, you deposit to your bank,
the check clears just fine, then about ten or more days later, you get a phone
call
or a letter in the mail from your bank that tells you the check in question
was a
forged instrument and is worthless, plus you bank may also charge you fees to
handle this forgery.

regards
jimbo

Panzer240 wrote:

"Marvin Moss" wrote in
ink.net:

Old October 29th 03, 09:11 PM
Howard

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:37:39 GMT, Panzer240
wrote:

"Marvin Moss" wrote in
link.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you !!!!

The checks are forgeries, which leaves you responsible to return the
funds to the bank where you cashed the check.

Howard

Old October 29th 03, 09:49 PM
Gary Woods

Panzer240 wrote:

I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??

Because the cheque isn't as secure as you think, and will bounce, causing a
chargeback to your account _after_ you have sent the goods and money.
Depending on the source, ask your bank how long you need to hold the
money...

Old October 29th 03, 10:04 PM
w4jle

The rub comes when your bank calls and tells you the check was phony and
your responsible. Now your rig and the total check amount goes in the gone
column.

Replacing to the bank the amount you charged for the rig, makes your net
losses the difference you sent the scammer plus your rig.

Had you cashed the check, and never sent the rig, the bank would get the
check amount back, you would still have the rig, and it is unlikly the
scammer would ever post that you cheated him in any newsgroup.

"Panzer240" wrote in message
"Marvin Moss" wrote in
ink.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you !!!!

--
Panzer

Buyer Seller Beware Scam Alert Its Me Again ! Scanner 3 October 29th 03 08:37 PM
buyer beware ebay coal-76 Jerry Swap 3 October 19th 03 06:15 AM
Scam Alert swiftpay or swiftSpay or swiftASpay scam alert Policy 0 July 23rd 03 09:01 PM
Scam Alert swiftpay or swiftSpay or swiftASpay scam alert Swap 0 July 23rd 03 09:01 PM
Beware of $2 of RSGB Sign Up Scam Scam Alert Policy 0 July 18th 03 05:02 AM