Old August 20th 03, 10:45 PM
Bob D

Default Sony 7600 GR Reception of WGN Chicago (AM 720)

The question is: does the Sony 7600 GR have a problem with frequency
override (if that is the proper term I'm radio naive beyond finding the
dial) with AM 720 by AM 1630 (or frequencies close to 1630)

I purchased a Sony 7600 GR several weeks ago (via mail order) and was
able to receive during the day with no problems WGN Chicago (AM 720).
It performed somewhat better than a Yachtboy 400 PE, which I ended up
returning. I am about 150 air miles from WGN.

About two weeks ago I noted that when I tuned to frequency 720 AM that
frequency 1630, a local station transmitting with 10,000 watts, was
overriding the 720 signal and that was receiving 1630 reasonably clear.
By using the ATT (believe I've got this correct) switch and adjusting I
was able to get 720, but very poorly.

Note: I have checked with the local 1630 station and they have not
changed there transmitter power. I've not checked with WGN however, my
reception on my non Sony radios appears to be about the same has is has
for the past year or more.

I've placed the Sony 7600 GR, my GE Superadio, and Panasonic RF-B65 side
by side (all operating on batteries) on multiple occasions and the
Panasonic and GE get 720 cleanly and the Sony does not.

I returned the Sony to the dealer and they state they have not
duplicated the problem, however, do not have a 720 station that they can
compare.

The dealer is willing to replace the Sony or offer a refund. I want the
Sony (my Panasonic has gone thru two problems with its internal
connection to the wall wart and it eats batteries).

Any advice? Am I experiencing a problem that is inherent in the Sony
7600 GR?

Thanks

Bob D

Old August 21st 03, 12:07 AM
J999w

Perhaps orient the radio to put the 1630khz station in the null of the internal
antenna. That would attenuate the signal, much as the ATT button does, but not
affect WGN. If you have trouble finding the null, tune off freq. slightly from
1630khz and try it there.

They are probably so darn loud by you that it's overloading the radio.

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee
Old August 21st 03, 03:08 AM
RHF

I know of no known problems with the Sony 7600GR being weak on AM/MW
or subject to overload or images from other local stronger
broadcasters.

? Have you tried using a small AM/MW Loop Antenna (R/S, Terk, SAT)
with the 7600GR to 'boost' (fine-tuning and directional peaking) the
WGN 720 kHz signal and attenuate the 1630 image ?

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Bob D"

Old August 21st 03, 04:21 AM
Dale Parfitt

(1630 - 720) / 2 = 455 kHz, which is likely the IF frequency (say the radio
beats 720+455 against the signal and listens on 455; it will hear both
720 and 1630. presumably it attenuates the 1630 somehow; maybe it has dual
conversion or something. If 1630 is really strong the attenuation may not
be enough.)

Correct Ron. This is most likely an image of 1630 KHz.

Dale W4OP

I'm just recalling 455 as a common IF frequency; it may be something different.

Anyhow it would not be surprising, and is not exactly a flaw but rather a result
of price. You can suppress it more with more money.

Orienting the radio to take out the 1630 by aiming the long edge of the case at it
is the easiest solution. Another way is a preselector that knocks down 1630
but the 7600GR isn't built conveniently for that since the internal loop stays on.
A sort of preselector is a MW loop (Select-a-tenna or Terk loop), and it may
solve the problem. Put it next to the radio and you'll be much happier on MW
in any case, the range of daytime stations you can hear being very greatly
increased. It will both raise 720 and lower 1630.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 21st 03, 12:42 PM
Bob D

Have not tried a small AM/MW loop antenna.

What I'm puzzeled by is that my Panasonic RF-B65 and GE Superadio do not
experience this same problem. Is there and explanation for that?

Thanks!

Bob D

om...

.

Old August 21st 03, 12:58 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Bob D schrieb:

Have not tried a small AM/MW loop antenna.

What I'm puzzeled by is that my Panasonic RF-B65 and GE Superadio do not
experience this same problem. Is there and explanation for that?

Yup, rather poor image rejection... one of the few non-minor flaws of
the design. As suspected, the 7600G/GR uses a 2nd IF of 455 kHz, and the
images of that are not rejected as much as would be desirable (my
guesstimate for the 7600G: ~40 dB, probably a few dBs higher since I was
comparing the audio S/N by hearing and fiddling the the attenuator, but
that's still not much). Probably the filtering on 1st IF level (55.845
MHz) isn't great. Images have mainly been annoying me on 60 and 20
meters. To confirm the image theory, tune away 1 kHz or so from the
nominal frequency - you should get a noticeable het. This is because
images behave differently from real stations: If you tune 1 kHz upwards,
a real station will be 1 kHz lower (of course), while an image will be 1
kHz higher. A selective tuneable MW loop would probably help here.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 256 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W
Old September 8th 03, 02:29 AM
FRANCIS NWAOKOBIA

Do anyone knows what short-wave frequency the bbc world service is
broadcasting to North America. I have a Grundig Satelit 700.

---Francis
nk.net...

Old September 12th 03, 02:44 AM
Mitchell Regenbogen

I found it at 5975.

"FRANCIS NWAOKOBIA" wrote in
:

Old September 12th 03, 03:34 AM
Diverd4777

-BC can Also be found at 12.095 in the daytime. . .

In article , Mitchell Regenbogen
writes:

I found it at 5975.

"FRANCIS NWAOKOBIA" wrote in
:

Old September 12th 03, 03:22 PM
David

How do you know they are suddenly getting biased? What are you
comparing them to?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:56:00 GMT, helmsman
wrote:

Mitchell Regenbogen wrote:

I found it at 5975.

"FRANCIS NWAOKOBIA" wrote in
t:

Do anyone knows what short-wave frequency the bbc world service is
broadcasting to North America. I have a Grundig Satelit 700.

To bad there news is becoming so biased. I've been listening to them
on and off since 1951 and now see them via satellite. But I suppose
when listening if the wheat can be separated from chaff they are still
reliable as hell.