Old September 28th 13, 04:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Need help identifying these RF modules. (00/38)

I came across a box of 10 of these RF modules made by Mitsumi Electric Co. LTD.
the other day, and I need help identifying them, (schematic, purpose, etc.) if
anyone has a clue.

The box had a label with the following;
Messers. Lear Jet Corp.
Part No. 356-9802
Model No. FT-E3
Spec No. R-16-0053

On the front, you can see another number in the picture that reads, "603.7.2"
and all modules are identical it seems. On each side there are 5 solder
connections labeled 1-5 on the left side and 6-10 on the right. Number 9 is
soldered to the front casing. The shaft seen in the front view is part of a
variable, (tuning) capacitor like you would find in a portable radio. I don't
have a ruler handy, but the module is roughly 2.75"X1.5" looking at the front.
If anyone wants, I can post a picture of it's interior.

These are old, but I have no idea how old. I don't hold much hope in anyone
identifying these, BUT stranger things have happened. If YOU know what these
are, I'd appreciate hearing what you know.

Thanks!
Bob
Old September 29th 13, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:31:52 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

I probably don't know what you have, but I couldn't view your pictures.
How about posting them as a jpg or png and as a much smaller file.

Thanks,

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old September 29th 13, 05:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On 29 Sep 2013 02:24:55 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim. They are jpg files already, but I'll see what I can do about making them
smaller. They are as they came out of a Nikon Coolpix camera. Also, next time
I'll use a different posting program as I noticed the segments were not stitched
together when I retrieved the headers.
Old September 29th 13, 05:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

[...]

Hi again. I have to ask what machine won't allow you to view these? Also, what
size/resolution/max # colors/etc. do they need to be so it can view them? As
every photo viewer I've ever used is capable of zooming in and out, I question
if simply resizing them will fix the problem, but I'm happy to do it. I will
need to know what size you need it to be able to view it before I resize them.
Old September 29th 13, 11:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 00:28:50 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

I'm using Pan 0.136 running under Ubuntu 12.04 (I think) with Xfce 4.8
desktop. When I click on your original post, it brings up a requester
asking where to save the file. I tell it where to put it and it never
appears. The pictures you posted the second time came through fine; it
didn't ask to save them. Pan can deal with yenc files but other common
newsgroup readers can't.

I don't know for sure what your things are, but judging from the labels
stamped into the case, I think they might be TV tuners or modulators or
perhaps a corresponding part for satellite TV. Perhaps they are a
similar part for some other application.

Old September 30th 13, 09:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On 29 Sep 2013 22:39:59 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

I don't know for sure what your things are, but judging from the labels
stamped into the case, I think they might be TV tuners or modulators or
perhaps a corresponding part for satellite TV. Perhaps they are a
similar part for some other application.

I am assuming, perhaps wrongfully so, that since they were made for Lear Jet,
they are the front end of one of their radio receivers, whether it be for the
aircraft band, or locator/directional beacons possibly. That's just a wild
guess. I wrote to Mitsumi requesting information, but I haven't received a reply
from them. Lear Jet is another possibility, but they have since been taken over
by another company, and as these are older parts, there may not be any
information available any more. I was hoping someone in this group may have come
across them in the past. Thanks anyway..
Old September 30th 13, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:40:08 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

LearJet used to do commercial equipment too. They became well known by
making 8 track tape players for cars. Perhaps they made some other
consumer product that used these (just a guess).

LearJet is now a division of Bombardier, http://
businessaircraft.bombardier.com/en.html.

Old October 1st 13, 06:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On 30 Sep 2013 22:31:04 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

LearJet used to do commercial equipment too. They became well known by
making 8 track tape players for cars. Perhaps they made some other
consumer product that used these (just a guess).

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember their 8 tracks in particular. I
never associated them with the business jet makers though, as their products
were labeled as simply "Lear" but you are probably correct. I should have made
that association as coincidentally, I came across a box of old 8 track tapes the
same time I came across the modules. Synchronicity, it's one of the coolest
properties I seem to be cursed with. ;-) It happens to me an awful lot.

Thanks for your input. I'll be contact Bombardier ASAP to see it they can ID
them for me. See, you have been more help than you thought you would be.
Old October 7th 13, 08:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Jim Mueller wrote:

I don't know for sure what your things are, but judging from the labels
stamped into the case, I think they might be TV tuners or modulators or
perhaps a corresponding part for satellite TV. Perhaps they are a
similar part for some other application.

They look like the FM tuner modules that were used in car radios &
tape & radio combos. For one thing, there are two IF transformers.
There are also several adjustments that would appear to be for tracking
over a dial scale.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Old October 7th 13, 08:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Bob wrote:

[...]

I don't think Mitsumi ever made areospace rated electronics. It
doesn't fit with their low cost, high volume operations. the costs to
certify the equipment is very high, and the shielding on those boxes
would never pass the required tests.

Mitsumi has made hundreds of this type module, and a lot were
proprietary. Probably from their Lear series of 4 or 8 track tape
players. They developed the first 12 volt powered playback decks for
broadcast cartridges. Later, the 8 track was developed to lower
manufacturing costs by placing a cheaper roller in each cartridge. That
eliminated the precision machining needed to raise and align the pinch
roller. Early car tape units were mechanical crap.

If you have a lot of them, you might look in the old Sams AR series
manuals for something that uses them but that's tens of thousands of
pages.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Need help identifying radio Jonny Astro Radio Photos 4 July 27th 10 03:40 AM
Help with Identifying This Little Rig Dane Allen Boatanchors 1 March 9th 09 06:55 AM
Need Help Identifying... [email protected] Boatanchors 3 October 14th 08 07:18 PM
Identifying CW Key none Equipment 2 May 20th 08 07:25 PM
Identifying a KWM-2 Bob Rinaldi Boatanchors 0 December 3rd 03 02:44 PM