Old February 15th 14, 12:10 AM
Senior Member

Default Yaesu FT 8900R and FLDigi

So a local group of know nothings started doing FlDigi over their local repeater - mainly because they didn't own HF radios or have General Class Licenses or their wives or HOA would not allow them to put up HF antenna's.

When I tried to explain to them that in a emergency that you have to believe that the repeater is not going to be there and that in simplex mode their walkie talkie is going to be worth about as much as a used firecracker on the 5th of July, no one would listen.

To add to the misery, they were using acoustic coupling which made their transmissions sound horrible, and you could hear fans running, people talking, the televisions blaring, and dogs barking while they transmitted.

Not to be intimidated, I already owned a Signalink and had the module and the cable for my Yaesu FT 8900R and had FlDigi installed in my primary computer.

Moving some things around in the shack, cleaning off an area on the bench for the additional equipment, and hooking it all up was the easy part.
The instructions for operations were practically useless as is the people who writes this technical garbage.

It is as if these people thinks that everyone already knows this stuff and that it should be common sense how to set it up.
Conflicting reports says that audio quality suffers unless you use 9600 Baud.

Nothing anywhere on the Internet says anything about how to interface the computer with the radio.
Using what little knowledge I had about the two, I was able to deduce that it would not be that much different then just using my HF radio, although the FM radio side is much different then the HF.

Menu 17 in the radio says - INET - this should be set to INT.MEM

MENU 18 - INET C = CODE 0
MENU 19 - INET M = ......
MENU 20 - KEYMOD = KEY 1

MENU 26 - PCKT S = 1200 BPs
MENU 27 - PCKT B = MAIN
MENU 28 - PG P1 = BAND
MENU 29 - PG P2 = VFO/MR
MENU 30 - PG P3 = TONE
MENU 31 - PG P4 = LOW

MENU 32 - RF SQL = OFF

MENU 41 - TIME OUT TIMER = 6 MINUTES
MENU 42 - VFO.TR = OFF

FLDigi Configuration -

AUDIO - DEVICES -
+ PORT AUDIO - USB AUDIO CODEC - WINDOWS 8
BOTH CAPTURE AND PLAYBACK

THEN IF YOU WANT, YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AUDACITY AND YOU CAN RECORD WHAT EVER YOU HEAR ON YOUR RADIO.....

I was able to get it to monitor but not transmit.
I don't know what I did when I downloaded Audacity that made a difference.
But after I downloaded it, I was surfing the Internet when something weird started to happen.

The RED transmit light in the Signalink started to click on and off.
I left the web page - realizing that there was something in the page that was trying to play something or download something onto my computer.

Having realized that the computer was trying to transmit to the radio I reopened the FlDigi and tried it and it worked just the same as it did on my HF radio.

Not much else to add except that I found it queer that it would all of a sudden start working.
Since no one else on the internet had the courtesy to post the settings for the 8900 I figured that I would do it in hopes of saving someone else the aggravation.

I don't know why these people that wants to play digital modes would go to all the bother of writing the programs and yet not take the time to make cheat sheets for those that are willing to participate - yet do not know which settings in the radio and the program to use.

This is probably the reason why so many people are stuck using acoustic coupling.
Holding their hand held beside their computer speakers every-time they want to transmit or receive is just plain STUPID!

PS - if you take a colored Sharpe marker and make a mark on the 8 pin min Din plug - between the plug and the speaker wire plug and the power cable, you can insert the plug much easier the next time into the Mini 8 Din.
It took me almost 3 minutes to get the plug into the socket.
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Last edited by Channel Jumper : February 15th 14 at 12:16 AM

FS:yaesu ft-8900r LAS PINAS 27 Swap 0 May 25th 04 10:34 PM
FS: Yaesu FT-8900R 10/50/144/440 MHz [email protected] Equipment 2 February 4th 04 05:57 PM
FS: Yaesu FT-8900R 10/50/144/440 MHz [email protected] Equipment 0 February 4th 04 04:57 PM
FT:YAESU FT-8900R Bob N2BR Swap 0 August 18th 03 01:42 PM
FT: Yaesu FT-8900R Bob N2BR Swap 0 August 10th 03 02:13 AM