Old September 29th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Remote Serial Access via TNC?

I have a question, and Im not sure how to ask this but I'll give it shot.

Is there a way, to connect to a remote TNC and have the remote TNC almost in some kind of passthrough mode, where it will basically show the serial interface of a computer or device connected to that remote TNC?

Thanks in advance KU1W.
Old September 29th 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Steve White wrote:
I have a question, and Im not sure how to ask this but I'll give it shot.

Is there a way, to connect to a remote TNC and have the remote TNC almost in some kind of passthrough mode, where it will basically show the serial interface of a computer or device connected to that remote TNC?

Almost, yes.
That is the default for a TNC. It passes what you type on the serial
port on to the serial port on the other side. That is how the early
bulletin boards like W0RLI worked.

Of course there are pesky details like the character that will flush
the packet through, but when I remember well it can be configured.

And it will never be completely transparent, so you have to watch out
what is passing over that link.
Old September 29th 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 2:05:31 PM UTC-6, Rob wrote:
Steve White wrote:
I have a question, and Im not sure how to ask this but I'll give it shot.

Is there a way, to connect to a remote TNC and have the remote TNC almost in some kind of passthrough mode, where it will basically show the serial interface of a computer or device connected to that remote TNC?

Almost, yes.
That is the default for a TNC. It passes what you type on the serial
port on to the serial port on the other side. That is how the early
bulletin boards like W0RLI worked.

Of course there are pesky details like the character that will flush
the packet through, but when I remember well it can be configured.

And it will never be completely transparent, so you have to watch out
what is passing over that link.

What mode do I put the remote TNC in for this to work? Is that Host mode?
Old September 29th 15, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Steve White wrote:
I have a question, and Im not sure how to ask this but I'll give it shot.

Is there a way, to connect to a remote TNC and have the remote TNC almost in some kind of passthrough mode, where it will basically show the serial interface of a computer or device connected to that remote TNC?

Almost, yes.
That is the default for a TNC. It passes what you type on the serial
port on to the serial port on the other side. That is how the early
bulletin boards like W0RLI worked.

Of course there are pesky details like the character that will flush
the packet through, but when I remember well it can be configured.

And it will never be completely transparent, so you have to watch out
what is passing over that link.

What mode do I put the remote TNC in for this to work? Is that Host mode?

No, not hostmode. That is doing something completely different.

Just the default "command mode".

And of course the TNC will spew out messages in-band that may confuse
the remote, like *** CONNECTED to AB1CDE

When that is not too fatal, it may work. You also may need to set
the setting for local echo.

It is all too long ago for me to remember the commands and details,
just read the TNC manual.
Old September 30th 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

On 9/29/2015 3:57 PM, Steve White wrote:
I have a question, and Im not sure how to ask this but I'll give it
shot.

Is there a way, to connect to a remote TNC and have the remote TNC
almost in some kind of passthrough mode, where it will basically show
the serial interface of a computer or device connected to that remote
TNC?

I would think that's pretty normal operation. TNCs were designed to let
terminals, or more likely computers running terminal emulators, do
keyboard-to-keyboard chat between their respective serial ports. So if
TNC 1 connects to TNC 2, it is talking to the serial port, and thus the
device behind it. Your application might work best in Transparent mode.
-de k1io

Access to archive jawod Antenna 1 December 31st 05 12:23 AM
Unauthorized Access Steveo CB 3 October 19th 04 09:01 PM
FA: COLLINS KWM-2 ACCESS. David Stinson Boatanchors 0 August 25th 04 08:41 PM
Any remote head/remote mount CB's? 2LD751 CB 7 April 23rd 04 02:26 PM
Access flooring Jerry McCarty Boatanchors 0 October 15th 03 12:50 PM