Old February 1st 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default For the Newbie Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) : Check-Out "PopularCommunications" and "Monitoring Times" Magazines

On Jan 31, 8:07*pm, Telamon
wrote:
- I was looking for Monitoring Times but apparently my local
- Barns & Nobles is to lame to carry it anymore.
- I did find an issue of Popular Communications though.
-
- On the downside one piece in the magazine read like what a
- Nancy Drew story must read like. Just awful filler.
- On the plus side there is a worthy article on propagation.
- Most of the magazine is dedicated to scanning though and
- generally uninteresting to me.
- Then there is the Ham Discoveries. On the whole you can't
- quibble with what was written except that the guy does not
- mention having tuning capability at the antenna instead seeing
- no problem with the standard operating convention of having
- a tuner in the shack.
- I don't get the ham community at all. I know that auto-tuners
- exist for crummy antennas on automobiles and boats so why
- not antennas at home? You would think he would promote
- remote tuning of the antenna and also matching if needed.
- A major thrust of the article was about efficiency after all
- and not needing to use amplifiers.
- Same old ideas you could read in an article written decades ago.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
-

Telamon - TYVM for this On-Topic Post. I may be 'clueless'
-but- I can and do appreciate a good On-Topic Post especially
when it has to do with Antennas. ) ~ RHF

For the Newbie Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) : Check-Out
"Popular Communications" and "Monitoring Times" Magazines

Here is the "Popular Communications" Magazine -website-
http://www.popular-communications.com/
for any Newbie Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) or those
who may be getting interested in Amateur {Ham} Radio.

"Popular Communications" Magazine - March 2008
http://www.popular-communications.co...20March08.html
Highlights {Digests} of this March's major PC Articles

"Popular Communications" Magazine - February 2008
http://www.popular-communications.co...ighlights.html
Highlights {Digests} of this February's major PC Articles

AMAZON - "Popular Communications" Magazine
http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Commun.../dp/B00006LDEW

PLUS - "That Something Extra" for the Newbie Shortwave and
Scanner Radio Listeners : Here is the "Monitoring Times"
(MT) Magazine -website- http://www.monitoringtimes.com/

ABOUT - What is "Monitoring Times" (MT) Magazine ?
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/about.html
A Publication of Grove Enterprises, Inc. Brasstown, NC -USA-
http://www.grove-ent.com/MT.html

NOW ONLINE : "Monitoring Times" (MT) Magazine EXPRESS*
* What is MT EXpress ?
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mt_express.html
+ The fastest-growing way to receive Monitoring Times (MT)
Magazine without Postal Delays.
+ A Big Savings Off the Regular Subscription Price

TIP - How Can I See a Copy of "Monitoring Times" Magazine ?
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/free_sample.html

Current Issue of "Monitoring Times" Magazine
for February 2008 * Vol 27 * No 2
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/current_issue.html
* Features
* Reviews
* Departments and Sample Articles

AMAZON - "Monitoring Times" Magazine
http://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Times/dp/B00006KODK

-ps- Telamon be sure to Count* this as another one
of my 'Clueless Posts' -cause- IT IS ! ;-{
Plus Extra Credit for the : Cut, Copy and Paste Stuff. )
* Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup Readers :
Please I Need Your Votes ! -and- I Want Your Votes !
In this Weeks Race for the RRS "Clueless Troll" Award.