Old December 5th 15, 05:19 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 60 / 40?

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

Keep your eyes out for some of the best solder ever made. It is Western
Electric Nassau solder. Almost worth its weight in gold. Just ask
anyone that is big in the audio field.

It goes along with the oxygen free teflon insulated wire that goes from
the hifi to the wall socket.

:-) ?

Old December 5th 15, 05:32 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI" wrote in message
"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1512042253160.15794@darkstar. example.org...
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, Jim Mueller wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 11:26:31 -0500, Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015, highlandham wrote:
On 03/12/15 18:06, Jeff wrote:
On 03/12/2015 15:20, gareth wrote:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin /
lead?)
solder despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves
these days) ruling that lead free must be used to the exclusion of
all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a
variant of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

Wrong again Gareth!!

tin lead solder is not banned "to the exclusion of all else".
It is still allowed in biomedical, military and some avionics
equipment and for the repair of items that were built with tin/lead.
It is still easy to purchase 60/40.

Jeff

=========================
Agree , I still happily use 60/40 resin core solder and recently
stocked-up . Lead free solder is a pain.

I thought 63/37 was better.

I once got a good deal on that mix, nice and thin too, and it lasted a
long time. Fewer places to get electronic solder now, the replacement
roll cost more and was too thick, and 60/40.

Michael

63/37 is better but the difference is very slight. In the "old days"
they used 50/50 and even 40/60.

The stuff I had was nice and thin, which probably mattered more than the
actual mix.

I suddenly remember buying some solder, I can't remember why or where but
I suspect I got a good price, and then it turned out to be the wrong mix.
It was awful, so maybe it was 50/50. It wasn't acid core, just hard to
use, if I recall properly.

At a garage sale a few years ago, I found a small roll of "IBM Brand"
solder, I assume it was made by someone else and IBM put their brand on
it. Too thick to be useful, it was a good mix though.

Michael

My first soldering iron was a poker in a coal fire. Can't remember where I
got solder from, the local TV repair shop probably.
--
;-)
.

I can see my old man doing that ...

Old December 5th 15, 05:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jimbo in the Borders ..." wrote in message
I can see my old man doing that ...

Does he wear, "Gor Blimey! Trousers"?

Old December 5th 15, 05:41 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jimbo in the Borders ..." wrote in
message ...
I can see my old man doing that ...

Does he wear, "Gor Blimey! Trousers"?

no and we didn't live in a council flat either ....

Old December 5th 15, 05:57 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
Keep your eyes out for some of the best solder ever made. It is Western
Electric Nassau solder. Almost worth its weight in gold. Just ask
anyone that is big in the audio field.

It goes along with the oxygen free teflon insulated wire that goes from
the hifi to the wall socket.

:-) ?

Yeah, I remember that. Some con artist was flogging a length of "special"
mains cable, with a "special" 13 amp plug one end, and a "special" IEC
kettle connector on the other for a very "special" price.
http://www.the-missing-link.net/prod02.htm
http://www.blackrhodium.co.uk/power.html
--
;-)
..

Old December 5th 15, 06:04 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jimbo in the Borders ..." wrote in
message ...
I can see my old man doing that ...

Does he wear, "Gor Blimey! Trousers"?

no and we didn't live in a council flat either ....

About 10 years ago, a 3-CD set of Lonnie Donegan's songs
was released, and I count myself lucky to have a copy.

Old December 5th 15, 08:23 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in
:

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jimbo in the Borders ..." wrote in
message ...
I can see my old man doing that ...

Does he wear, "Gor Blimey! Trousers"?

no and we didn't live in a council flat either ....

About 10 years ago, a 3-CD set of Lonnie Donegan's songs
was released, and I count myself lucky to have a copy.

Why? Was there something special about it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Albums-Singles-
Donegan/dp/B00D2TRA18/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1449343278&sr=1-3
&keywords=lonnie+donegan

Old December 11th 15, 03:27 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" Wrote in message:
I wonder how many are still using the 60 / 40 (lead / tin or tin / lead?)
solder
despite the Common Market (or whatver they call themselves these days)
ruling
that lead free must be used to the exclusion of all else?

And how many are not using any solder at all because they are a variant
of CBers and not actually _REAL_ radio amateurs?

I prefer 63/37. It's not at all difficult to find.

--
David Griffith
-- Put my last name where it belongs.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----