Old January 30th 16, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Panoramic Receiver

On another news group this was posted:

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Lo...Bomb_Guide.htm

In the 5th photo down I spotted a Hallicrafters receiver which appears
to be an S-35

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hallicr...r_s_35_s3.html

If it had the panoramic adapter, it would have been out of range of the
photo, but I am curious as to what such a device is. As far as I can
tell it's an oscilloscope that displays the band spectrum.

If anyone knows I'd like to hear more about it and why it would be useful
Old January 31st 16, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

philo wrote:

On another news group this was posted:

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Lo...Bomb_Guide.htm

In the 5th photo down I spotted a Hallicrafters receiver which appears
to be an S-35

The radio at the top of the rack is a Hallicrafters S-36.
Old January 31st 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article , philo wrote:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hallicr...r_s_35_s3.html

If it had the panoramic adapter, it would have been out of range of the
photo, but I am curious as to what such a device is. As far as I can
tell it's an oscilloscope that displays the band spectrum.

Yes, the panadaptor or bandscope is a spectrum analyzer that is attached
to the receiver's IF so that you can visually see all signals within the
IF range.

That receiver would likely have had a BC-1031 or APA-10 panadaptor.
A typical WWII aircraft install would be a Hallicrafters ARR-7 with an
APA-10 panadaptor.

If anyone knows I'd like to hear more about it and why it would be useful

It is great for countermeasures work, if you are looking rapidly for
an unknown frequency such as your enemy's communications or radar. It
is also an aid to identifying signal types for radar and telemetry.

For ham radio work it is also wonderful in a CW pileup because it makes it
much easier to find an empty place fast. It's handy for sweeping the band
doing hunt and pounce also.

I have a Heathkit SB-620 pandaptor on the output of my R-390A and it is
crude but workable. The IF output on the R-390 is after the mechanical
filters, so I have to set the filters wide in order to see 16kc worth of
spectrum, and then close them down once the signal is tuned in.

Many receivers designed for countermeasures work have a super wide IF
output that allows you to see a huge chunk of spectrum on the panadaptor,
much wider than audio bandwidth. That's much nicer, but you pay in front
end linearity by making it that wide.
--scott
Old January 31st 16, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 01/30/2016 09:16 PM, analogdial wrote:
philo wrote:

On another news group this was posted:

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Lo...Bomb_Guide.htm

In the 5th photo down I spotted a Hallicrafters receiver which appears
to be an S-35

The radio at the top of the rack is a Hallicrafters S-36.

Yep, you nailed it I believe.

When I looked at the images I found on a Google search, I had seen an
S36A which slightly different, but still it would have been a closer
match than the S-36

Thank you
Old January 31st 16, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 01/31/2016 07:01 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , philo wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the great explanation! As "analogdial" pointed out, it's
actually an S 36 I did not examine the photos carefully enough

Old February 1st 16, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

philo wrote:

Thanks for the great explanation! As "analogdial" pointed out, it's
actually an S 36 I did not examine the photos carefully enough

The S-36 has a panadaptor connection on the back of the chassis.
Altough I don't think it was often used.

It's a mediocre radio by today's standards. Not particularly sensitive
and the narrow bandwidth is way too wide for just one AM channel. The
wide bandwidth is a bit too narrow for fully modulated broadcast FM but
it wasn't too bad back in the day when some FMers broadcast with SCA.
Worked well for TV FM audio. The audio was very good.

I tried stagger tuning the IF transformers for wider bandwidth but that
hurt the sensitivity on wide and nearly killed it on narrow.

The damn thing was built to last. There's only one
paper capacitor, in the power supply filter. 8 ufd of
paper in a sealed steel can, if i recall. It's huge. I checked mine
for leakage and it was still no worse than an equivelant electrolytic,
so I left it alone. There's also one electrolytic (also in steel, looks
like an oil and paper, mine was no good) for the cathode bypass in the
audio amp. Everything else is silver mica. The resistors checked out
100%. Didn't look like any under chassis work had ever been
done on the radio. Amazing.

It has a really nice zero backlash gear drive. Probably the nicest
thing about the radio.

Old February 2nd 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 02/01/2016 01:54 PM, analogdial wrote:
philo wrote:

I tried stagger tuning the IF transformers for wider bandwidth but that
hurt the sensitivity on wide and nearly killed it on narrow.

The damn thing was built to last. There's only one
paper capacitor, in the power supply filter. 8 ufd of
paper in a sealed steel can, if i recall. It's huge. I checked mine
for leakage and it was still no worse than an equivelant electrolytic,
so I left it alone. There's also one electrolytic (also in steel, looks
like an oil and paper, mine was no good) for the cathode bypass in the
audio amp. Everything else is silver mica. The resistors checked out
100%. Didn't look like any under chassis work had ever been
done on the radio. Amazing.

It has a really nice zero backlash gear drive. Probably the nicest
thing about the radio.

I never had any Hallicrafters receivers but did once own an HT-32
transmitter. About the only piece of Ham gear I have left is a mint
condition HQ-140-X in completely original condition

Old February 2nd 16, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

philo wrote:

[...]

My first receiver was a Hallicrafters SX-43. Paired with a Knight-Kit
T-60, I'd love to have both back again.

I've had a lot of fun in as a ham in the last 48 years, but I don't
think anything will compare with the QSO's I made as a novice with a
crystal rig and dipole.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old February 2nd 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 02/01/2016 06:50 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

I never had any Hallicrafters receivers but did once own an HT-32
transmitter. About the only piece of Ham gear I have left is a mint
condition HQ-140-X in completely original condition

My first receiver was a Hallicrafters SX-43. Paired with a Knight-Kit
T-60, I'd love to have both back again.

I've had a lot of fun in as a ham in the last 48 years, but I don't
think anything will compare with the QSO's I made as a novice with a
crystal rig and dipole.

Yep, those were the days.

I started out wit an HQ-110 rcvr and a Johnson Adventurer xmtr . I will
never forget the 6AG7 to 807 combo.

When I got my General ticket I added a slightly drift Knight Kit V-100
VFO and a homebrew cathode modulator.

The cathode modulator plugged into the key jack and was made from all
junk box parts. It was no where near as good as a plate modulator but I
liked it better then screen grid modulation. I think input power was 25
watts max but I did manage to get out just a bit.

Old February 2nd 16, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

I've had a lot of fun in as a ham in the last 48 years, but I don't
think anything will compare with the QSO's I made as a novice with a
crystal rig and dipole.

Well, for God's sake, put down $20, build a Tuna Tin Two, and get on the air
again!

I am running 5W with a homebrew compactron-based VFO and having a blast.
--scott