Old October 17th 16, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [K0NR] SOTA Activation: Bald Mountain (W0C/SP-115)

Post : SOTA Activation: Bald Mountain (W0C/SP-115)
Author : Bob K0NR

On Saturday, I activated Bald Mountain (W0C/SP-115 (
http://www.sota.org.uk/Summit/W0C/SP-115 ) ) for Summits On The Air. It was
an awesome fall day here in the Rockies, so Joyce KØJJW and I were ready for
some outdoor fun. When you say you are going to the summit of Bald Mountain,
the usual response is "which Bald Mountain?" Fortunately, for SOTA purposes
we can use the designator (W0C/SP-115) to drive out the ambiguity. Else, you
have to deal with the fact there are 32 summits in Colorado known as Bald
Mountain. And I am sure there are many more in other states.

SP-115 is a drive-up summit if you have a reasonable 4WD vehicle. For us,
this meant taking the Jeep Wrangler to the top. (I am still recovering from a
fractured ankle and just starting to hike a bit, so a drive-up opportunity
sounded good to me.) Many maps do not show the road up Bald Mountain, so I
included a portion of the latitude40smap.com ( http://www.latitude40maps.com/
) map for the area (below). These recreational maps are excellent quality so
I recommend you get one for exploring the area.

[...]