Old April 5th 04, 05:19 PM
Steven Burns

Default WJR no longer in stereo

While its stereo equipment may not be completely turned off, around 10
PM on April 2 I noticed that WJR-760 Detroit no longer has stereo
separation during its commercials, promos, ID and music. The switch to
mono was sometime between March 27 and April 2.

Could this have something to do with the station's recent posting of
an opening for a new Chief Engineer?

Given that WJR had broadcast in stereo for some 20 years, this is
hardly an encouraging sign for the status of AM Stereo within the
industry.

Steven Burns

Old April 6th 04, 05:35 PM
CA was in NJ

Tom Betz wrote:

For how many of those 20 years has it been a talk station?

Back when I used to listen to it (60's through mid-70's) it had enough of a
variety of programming to make it worth using stereo, and none was
available. But who needs stereo on a talk station? It's a waste.

If for nothing else, then it's useful for the commercials.

Don't they still do a music program or two on weekends?

Old April 6th 04, 05:35 PM
Rich Wood

Back when I used to listen to it (60's through mid-70's) it had enough of a
variety of programming to make it worth using stereo, and none was
available. But who needs stereo on a talk station? It's a waste.

Why is it a waste? Spots are stereo. Jingles are stereo. Bumpers are
stereo and a creative programmer or engineer could easily make local
interviews stereo by panning each person slightly off center.

If you take most syndicated programming, you're out of luck.

Rich

Old April 7th 04, 03:38 PM
gbfmif

Rich Wood wrote:

Back when I used to listen to it (60's through mid-70's) it had enough of a
variety of programming to make it worth using stereo, and none was
available. But who needs stereo on a talk station? It's a waste.

Why is it a waste? Spots are stereo. Jingles are stereo. Bumpers are
stereo and a creative programmer or engineer could easily make local
interviews stereo by panning each person slightly off center.

If you take most syndicated programming, you're out of luck.

Rich

How many talk stations use the creative programing you suggest?

Would not think the spots etc. are sufficient reason to have stereo if the main
program is null to stereo.

Old May 7th 04, 06:25 PM
misterfact

CA was in NJ SHOT_ON_SIGHT wrote in message ...
Tom Betz wrote:

For how many of those 20 years has it been a talk station?

Back when I used to listen to it (60's through mid-70's) it had enough of a
variety of programming to make it worth using stereo, and none was
available. But who needs stereo on a talk station? It's a waste.

If for nothing else, then it's useful for the commercials.

Don't they still do a music program or two on weekends?

Like I need to hear a pathological liar radio talk show host on WJR
(you know who)- IN STEREO