Old August 19th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

Default training ??

Hi

Does anyone know of any web or pc based Extra class training?

NOT* NOT* talking about license prep that just gives you test questions

Referring to somthing that actually teaches you the material you need to
know for Extra Class

Just drilling me on the question pool prior to material review is just a
exercise in memory w/o understanding /learning

I've got good books on it from arrl but thought pc/web based mught be
fun and can't find any

thanks
Old August 19th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:10:55 GMT, ml wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know of any web or pc based Extra class training?

NOT* NOT* talking about license prep that just gives you test questions

Referring to somthing that actually teaches you the material you need to
know for Extra Class

Just drilling me on the question pool prior to material review is just a
exercise in memory w/o understanding /learning

I've got good books on it from arrl but thought pc/web based mught be
fun and can't find any

This may be of value.

http://www.radioelectronicschool.net/

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Old August 20th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"ml" wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone know of any web or pc based Extra class training?

NOT* NOT* talking about license prep that just gives you test questions

Referring to somthing that actually teaches you the material you need to
know for Extra Class

Just drilling me on the question pool prior to material review is just a
exercise in memory w/o understanding /learning

I've got good books on it from arrl but thought pc/web based mught be
fun and can't find any

Here is what I did: I did purchase the ARRL Extra Class manual just to get a
synopsis of the questions asked and one author's overly simplified
explanations of the subject matter. I do have a BSEE degree from UW Madison
but I must admit that, contrary to the assertions of many in this group, in
my case at least it was not a "trivial" test nor do I believe it would be
easy to memorize each question and answer in the 500 question pool. The PE
EIT test is much harder because they equations for the same material are
trickier. For this test, you must know what a smith chart is. For the EIT
(FE) and PE, you "should" know what it is because a smith chart will permit
you to more readily arrive at the answer. If you understand what a smith
chart is, how it was derived and have used it for just a few example
questions/answers as Google research will teach, such knowledge is good for
all of these exams.

Search engines will give you papers, articles and all sorts of discussions
on the materials covering each section in the test and you will now be able
to improve your knowledge (review in my case) or learn (for someone with a
degree). I think this is far better than paying money to some radio club
instructor of questionable technical background who only promises to help
you pass one test. Also, when using Google, you may discover that similar or
the exact same questions are covered in other countries' tests (New Zealand,
Great Britain, Canada to name a few) and some even appear in the commercial
license exams. You will find that more than a few of the correct "answers"
to the questions on the exam are technically controversial. When you get to
that level of understanding you will be well under way to a perfect score.
You may also have an inclination to write to the US VEC QPC to inform them
of some of their wrong or ambiguous answers but once you discover that the
test is based on a worldwide set of accepted questions, you will see that
there is no point in this and you will just give the answer they want for
the test but know the correct answer for yourself.

So my answer is, use a search engine like Google...properly used, it is the
best instruction tool available.

73

Old August 21st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

So my answer is, use a search engine like Google...properly used, it is the
best instruction tool available.

73

I am not EE trained and the ARRL Extra license manual worked very well
for me. A google search may work but, typically, you can get far afield
from what you want or need to pass the actual test.

My recommendation is to use ARRL material: it reviews the pertinent
material to allow you to pass the test AND it teaches you the theory
behind the questions. Not a deep treatise, mind you, but a good general
understanding.

My two cents.

John
AB8O