Old July 19th 05, 02:08 AM
squeege boy

Default small shortwave antenna

I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers
Old July 19th 05, 09:13 PM
Fred Garvin

On 2005-07-18 20:38:50 -0400, squeege boy said:

I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

You sure you googled?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q... oogle+Search

--

PCs, like air-conditioners, are useless when you open Windows.

Old July 19th 05, 10:48 PM
Jeff

I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

A metal slinky with a MLB on the end and feed your radio with
coax. Use inside or out. Collapses down to a very small package when
not using and works amazingly well. Use it vertically or horizontally.
About the most simple and most effective HF ant. you could use for
apartement life. Dont waste your money on an active antenna, they
are notorious for picking up all sorts of electrical noise, sometimes to
the point of the radio being unlistenable.

Old July 20th 05, 01:42 AM
squeege boy

what is a MLB

Old July 20th 05, 01:45 AM
dxAce

squeege boy wrote:

what is a MLB

Magnetic Longwire Balun...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 20th 05, 02:48 AM
Jeff

"squeege boy" wrote in message
what is a MLB

It stands for Magnetic Longwire Balun. Its really not a balun ,
rather it is more of a transformer to match the impedance of the
antenna to that of the radio......... roughly 50-60ohms. Its usually
a torroidal magnet with 2 windings, a primary and a secondary.
They work very well for their intended purposes. They are 35-45$
but are worth it IMO. Do a google search for them and read all
about them.

Old July 22nd 05, 12:21 AM
Jim

screw $45-$60 for a MLB! you can wind it yourself for $5. the info is
out there. i am sure that someone here would help. CW has it on his
site, maybe he will check in with the address.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:10 AM
Yodar

Jeff wrote:
I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

A metal slinky with a MLB on the end and feed your radio with
coax. Use inside or out. Collapses down to a very small package when
not using and works amazingly well. Use it vertically or horizontally.
About the most simple and most effective HF ant. you could use for
apartement life. Dont waste your money on an active antenna, they
are notorious for picking up all sorts of electrical noise, sometimes to
the point of the radio being unlistenable.

I have done that and my SLINKY (vertical) drops off severely on
wavelength shorter than 40M...Study of SLINKY antenna resources indicate
it is resonant around 7.2 Mhz

Yodar

Old July 23rd 05, 02:28 PM

See:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/feed/feed1.html
and
http://www.webex.net/~skywaves/ANTENNA/antsys.htm#4:1%20Balun
and
http://members.aol.com/WA1ION/nrants.pdf
the last one uses a MiniCircuits 9:1 tranformer that caosts about ~$5.
It has been several years since I bought one.

John Doty is very correct about the advantage of "TV" mathcing
cores over the more common 1" feritte cores. Pluse the TV cores
are cheap and still fairly pentifull.

Terry

Inverted ground plane antenna: compared with normal GP and low dipole. Serge Stroobandt, ON4BAA Antenna 8 February 24th 11 11:22 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
Understanding Shortwave Radio Listening and Antenna Design and Construction RHF Shortwave 3 February 13th 04 08:16 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM