Old November 7th 03, 08:04 PM
Johnny V. Mullins

Default ANTENNA BALUN ??

Hi, group. I'm considering an attempt at building a quad antenna for 11
meters.
The plans I have, leave some of the details to the builder.
It's my understanding that the driven element needs to be fed VIA a balun.
I emailed a person with baluns "for sale" listed on ebay. He replied that he
thought I needed a 4:1 balun for a quad.
It's was my understanding that the balun should be a 1:1 ??

Anyone in the group care to advise me on this question ??

Any help and /or advise on the building of the 4 element 11 meter Quad would
be appreciated :-) !!

Thanks

Johnny

Old November 7th 03, 08:32 PM
Desmoface

Hi, group. I'm considering an attempt at building a quad antenna for 11
meters.

Seems to be some good info on 11 meter quads he

http://www.signalengineering.com/ult...ment_quad.html

They suggest a 1:1 current balun and even have suggestions for a particular
manufacturer's product.

Cubex is a company I'd contact as they have been in the quad building bidnes
for a long time, they build an 11 meter quad and can probably help you get it
set up right; http://www.cubex.com/cb.htm

Good luck.

Steve
kb8viv
Old November 7th 03, 09:30 PM
Dave VanHorn

"Johnny V. Mullins" wrote in message
Hi, group. I'm considering an attempt at building a quad antenna for 11
meters.
The plans I have, leave some of the details to the builder.
It's my understanding that the driven element needs to be fed VIA a balun.
I emailed a person with baluns "for sale" listed on ebay. He replied that

he
thought I needed a 4:1 balun for a quad.
It's was my understanding that the balun should be a 1:1 ??

The driven element should end up near 50 ohms, so you want a 1-1 balun.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old November 8th 03, 01:51 AM
w4jle

For 5 watts or less, a 1:1 balun is ideal. If you are running a linear, you
will need at least a 12:1, in fact I would get 2 and run them in series.

Old November 8th 03, 03:45 AM
Dave VanHorn

"w4jle" W4JLE(remove this to wrote in message
For 5 watts or less, a 1:1 balun is ideal. If you are running a linear,

you
will need at least a 12:1, in fact I would get 2 and run them in series.

Oh now be nice.
He hasn't said anything about running illegal power. As long as he's
coloring inside the lines, I see no reason to be mean.

Old November 8th 03, 04:57 AM
CW

I suppose after the Alzheimer's sets in, you can't remember what you just
read but for the rest of us, we rather not have to wade through previously
read info to get to the message.

"Dave VanHorn" wrote in message

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old November 8th 03, 05:33 AM
w4jle

You will note I gave the correct advice for coloring inside the lines. The
situation as stated is self correcting. besides, how could you ever accuse
someone as warm and fuzzy as myself of being anything other than nice?

Old November 8th 03, 05:34 AM
w4jle

Amen and Amen!

"CW" wrote in message
I suppose after the Alzheimer's sets in, you can't remember what you just
read but for the rest of us, we rather not have to wade through previously
read info to get to the message.

"Dave VanHorn" wrote in message

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old November 8th 03, 01:15 PM
Dave Shrader

PHFOOBAH!!!

All my mail is sorted by thread. I remember what I've read. And not
having to scan, or reread what I've already read, makes most sense.

Bottom Posting presents the situation where someone must read the entire
previously read comments, some for the umpteenth time, again and again
and again.

For me Top Posting is the best solution.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

CW wrote:

I suppose after the Alzheimer's sets in, you can't remember what you just
read but for the rest of us, we rather not have to wade through previously
read info to get to the message.

"Dave VanHorn" wrote in message

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old November 8th 03, 04:03 PM
Cecil Moore

Dave Shrader wrote:
For me Top Posting is the best solution.

Sure beats having to scroll down 15 screens only to find, "I agree."
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp