Old November 28th 03, 09:43 PM
Methuselah Jones

Default Bad Neighbor

I'm not a CBer, but I'm hoping you folks can help me out. There's someone
who lives near me who I'm guessing is broadcasting with excessive power
(I'm assuming there are regulations concerning that?) Every time he
transmits I pick him up on my TV, radio, cordless phone and computer
speakers and he locks up the cordless mouse on my computer.

To make it works, 99% of the time all he does is whistle, say
"Heeeeeeelllo" or make other weird noises. It gets extremely irritating
having to listen to him.

Is there anything I can do? I've considered seeing if I can find someone
who has a CB I can borrow, find out what channel(s) he's transmitting on,
and ask him politely to knock it off.

Failing that, is there any legal action I can take? Should I report it
he http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html or is that just for Ham radio?

--
Methuselah
"The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the
Old November 28th 03, 09:51 PM
Methuselah Jones

Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Methuselah Jones of rec.radio.cb make plain:

To make it works

Er, I mean "worse".

--
Methuselah
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
Old November 28th 03, 10:37 PM
Dave VanHorn

Failing that, is there any legal action I can take? Should I report it
he http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html or is that just for Ham radio?

The FCC enforces both. You may want to check for local regs.
The FCC recently made a change that allows local jurisdictions to put regs
in place that they can enforce, as long as they are in line with the FCC
regs.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/tpsd/ is the particular bunch at the FCC that is best
suited.

Your local ham club may also have some help to offer.
While it does sound like he couldn't possibly be running legal power limits
(4W) there are things that you can do on your end, that will probably be of
more help in the short term.

Ferrite filters (radio shack) applied on cables, on the end closest to the
electronics, should help.
On a phone, put the filter on the phone end of the cable, on an
amplifier-speaker cable, put the filter on the amp end of the cable.

Old November 29th 03, 12:20 AM
Legal Radio

Methuselah Jones wrote in
. 97.132:

I'm not a CBer, but I'm hoping you folks can help me out. There's
someone who lives near me who I'm guessing is broadcasting with
excessive power (I'm assuming there are regulations concerning that?)
Every time he transmits I pick him up on my TV, radio, cordless phone
and computer speakers and he locks up the cordless mouse on my
computer.

Yes... these are all signs of illegal amplifiers... and yes, there are
regulations.

To make it works, 99% of the time all he does is whistle, say
"Heeeeeeelllo" or make other weird noises. It gets extremely
irritating having to listen to him.

Yes... this is typical.

Is there anything I can do? I've considered seeing if I can find
someone who has a CB I can borrow, find out what channel(s) he's
transmitting on, and ask him politely to knock it off.

They will refuse. It is pointless to politely ask them to stop. He may
become hostile

Failing that, is there any legal action I can take? Should I report it
he http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html or is that just for Ham
radio?

Go to somewhere else on the FCC site to complain. With the budget they
have, though, you may not see enforcement.
Old November 29th 03, 02:39 AM
WG

I would say that it sounds like he is running outside the law. One thing I
must say is not to approach him. Take a look around your neighbourhood for
CB antennas on houses and see if cutting the coax cable takes him off the
air for a while. If not then you got the wrong place so just try the next
one. He must be quite close to you to do that kind of damage. When you do
find the right place an Ark-welder attached to his cable cranked to full
should then fix the problem for good. I believe in self policing before
going to the feds.

. 97.132...

Old November 29th 03, 04:30 AM
Randy

"WG" wrote in message
I would say that it sounds like he is running outside the law. One thing I
must say is not to approach him. Take a look around your neighbourhood for
CB antennas on houses and see if cutting the coax cable takes him off the
air for a while. If not then you got the wrong place so just try the next
one. He must be quite close to you to do that kind of damage. When you do
find the right place an Ark-welder attached to his cable cranked to full
should then fix the problem for good. I believe in self policing before
going to the feds.

And you are no less than a complete moron. Have you ever been shot? Do you
really think the drivel you posted is good advice?

Please, no one take this jackass seriously!

Old November 29th 03, 04:50 AM
Ghost writer

"WG" wrote in message
I would say that it sounds like he is running outside the law. One thing I
must say is not to approach him. Take a look around your neighbourhood for
CB antennas on houses and see if cutting the coax cable takes him off the
air for a while. If not then you got the wrong place so just try the next
one. He must be quite close to you to do that kind of damage. When you do
find the right place an Ark-welder attached to his cable cranked to full
should then fix the problem for good. I believe in self policing before
going to the feds.

That kind of self policing is not only illegal but dangerous. If someone
came snooping around my place and tried destroying my property, they may not
live to talk about it. You can't just go cutting EVERYONE'S coax til you
find the right party. Getting yourself arrested if caught and trying to
explain it, is NOT going to correct the problem, but rather compound it. Let
the law handle it, they will if given half a chance.

Old November 29th 03, 05:02 AM
me

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:39:08 GMT, "WG" was
blabbling:

....I would say that it sounds like he is running outside the law. One
thing I
....must say is not to approach him. Take a look around your
neighbourhood for
....CB antennas on houses and see if cutting the coax cable takes him
off the
....air for a while. If not then you got the wrong place so just try
the next
....one. He must be quite close to you to do that kind of damage. When
you do
....find the right place an Ark-welder attached to his cable cranked to
full
....should then fix the problem for good. I believe in self policing
before
....going to the feds.

**** all that if you know who it is... fire bomb the ****ing house!

worked for me.

Old November 29th 03, 05:25 AM
gw

[...]

you know you get on a cb newsgroup and ask people what to do about a
problem you have with your neighbor......hey i have a great
idea........why don't you go talk to him face to face and see what you
can work out......a novel concept wouldn't you say??? what is it
these days about neighbors not talking to each other or even knowing
each other??? only in america.........
Old November 29th 03, 06:10 AM
BFD

Get your self a CB also, scream, make noises, say AUUUDDIIOOO, get a
linear, tall antenna,and say AAAUUDDDIIOOOO to him also. Sounds just like of
the CBers anyway. Can't have a face to face with them,
their too ****ing stupid to listen.

om...