Old October 2nd 05, 11:29 PM
Ari Silversteinn

Default Emergency Messaging And AM

Crossposted to:

rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,r ec,radio.amateur.equipment

Novitiate he

I am learning AM broadcast basics in particular the issues regarding the
geo-targeted broadcasting of alert messages from moving vehicles. Would
most appreciate any assistance.

Due to Katrina/Rita, the company I work for has been given the opportunity
to demonstrate a messaging system that would reach out approximately 1 mile
+/- in transmission deliverance. This would be an "overbroadcast" (my term)
in that it would override local AM radio broadcasting to reach into cars,
trucks etc. In particular, we are working with a stationary site (a
chemical spill for instance) and an emergency vehicle that would move back
and forth at and through the site, at up to 70 mph, broadcasting an alert,
voice and tone message.

Reading about LPAM, this looks technically possible but one concern I have
is antennae size. A fire truck, for instance, could have an antenna mounted
on its front, and up to 4 feet over the top of its roof, so we might look
at as much as 20 feet of length. I realize this places us over the 3 meter
max so one of the ???? is whether LFAM is realistic.

Am I way off base here, can any antennae, fractal or other, or any AM
antennae technology, be utilized to design an antenna and propagate this
type of signal?

All comments appreciated.
--
Drop the alphabet for email
Old October 2nd 05, 11:59 PM
Ken Taylor

"Ari Silversteinn" wrote in message
[...]

The things that pop into my mind are why AM rather than FM, which tends to
be more local, and do you intend to 'over-broadcast' only the local channels
(how many?) - I assume you intend to make the channel(s) selectable - or the
entire band to ensure you get everyone? Assuming that there is a commercial
AM broadcast station in the vicinity (what, 10 miles? 20 miles?) you are
probably going to be flat out getting a mobile rig to ride over it. How do
you intend to do this?

Cheers.

Ken

Old October 3rd 05, 12:42 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

A disadvantage I see is that a waiver is going to be required in order
not to violate FCC rules. In fact, in the state of Florida, interfering
with broadcast stations is against state law, so another hurdle to be
overcome. That being said, for this system to work, you have to blanket
the entire AM and FM broadcast bands. Even doing so will leave out the
motorists who use XM or Sirius, the Ipod listeners and those who are
driving with their cellphones plugged into their ears.

Ari Silversteinn wrote:

[...]

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Old October 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Bob Bob

Hi Ari

I always wonder whether broadcast at the most common IF frequencies
would be a viable alternative? (eg 455khz for AM) Legality issues aside
of course... This would make frequency selection a little easier to
engineer. You wouldnt have to divide your power budget into many
operating frequencies as well. Problem is that you'd need a lot higher
ERP especially since car mounted radios tend to be better shielded than
portables. (You'll need to experiment some)

Since part of your engineering exercise will be to determine what ERP
you want from the system you are proposing, the size of the antenna only
needs to be considered in line with the transmitter output power.
Obviously there will be a useful compromise somewhere that is cost
effective. You might for example want a 100 watt TX for each frequency
with a fairly lossy/terminated and loaded antenna. Your first port of
call will be to determine what the likely highest strength of an AM/FM
broadcast signal you will need to override, add maybe 20dB to that and
work out your needed ERP. You will find lots of texts about the
inefficiencies of MF antennas mounted on motor vehicles so that will
give you some numbers to work with. Remember that making the antenna
wideband will also introduce substantial loss. Note that you cant design
the system to always work as you'll have situations where the radio
stations transmitting antenna is right next to then freeqy where the
event occurred! Decide on some statistical coverage percentage thing etc
etc...

I worked for a concern in Sydney Australia that put in tunnel
rebroadcast systems in the major underground roadworks in Sydney,
Melbourne and Perth. Being in a tunnel of course there werent really any
licensing issues. The system consisted of not only broadcast band (AM &
FM) receivers but spot VHF/UHF FM receivers and transmitters for police,
fire etc vehicles. Each broadcast frequency had its own transmitter. It
was thought to be a better idea than using a wide band TX covering all
frequencies. AM broadcast was coupled to a very long wire and the rest
used a terminated leaky coax run.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Old October 3rd 05, 01:49 AM
J. Teske

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 18:29:13 -0400, Ari Silversteinn
wrote:

Crossposted to:

rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc, rec,radio.amateur.equipment

Novitiate he

Clearly,

I am learning AM broadcast basics in particular the issues regarding the
geo-targeted broadcasting of alert messages from moving vehicles. Would
most appreciate any assistance.

Nice idea but......

Due to Katrina/Rita, the company I work for has been given the opportunity
to demonstrate a messaging system that would reach out approximately 1 mile
+/- in transmission deliverance. This would be an "overbroadcast" (my term)
in that it would override local AM radio broadcasting to reach into cars,
trucks etc. In particular, we are working with a stationary site (a
chemical spill for instance) and an emergency vehicle that would move back
and forth at and through the site, at up to 70 mph, broadcasting an alert,
voice and tone message.

And what makes you think anyone is going to be listening on AM. I
think the vast majority of radio listenings in urban areas listen to
FM except possibly for drive time shows, 24 hour news stations and the
comparatively few people enamored of talk or religious radio. FM of
course is subject to the capture effect wherein the strongest signal
prevails to the exclusion of others (at least that is the theory).

AM, particularly at night is subject to strong skywaves.

Reading about LPAM, this looks technically possible but one concern I have
is antennae size. A fire truck, for instance, could have an antenna mounted
on its front, and up to 4 feet over the top of its roof, so we might look
at as much as 20 feet of length. I realize this places us over the 3 meter
max so one of the ???? is whether LFAM is realistic.

Am I way off base here, can any antennae, fractal or other, or any AM
antennae technology, be utilized to design an antenna and propagate this
type of signal?

I think the problem here is not the technology, but a fundamental
misconception of what it is you are trying to prove and who is likely
to be your audience. At this point you do not need an engineer, you
need a sociologist.

W3JT

All comments appreciated.

Old October 3rd 05, 02:36 AM

I agree Bob. "Tunnel Radio" systems have been around for over 20
years, and AFAIK all broadcast on dual IF frequencies covering both am
and fm car radios. Here in Boston this type of system is in use in all
our tunnels.

Harry C.

Old October 3rd 05, 04:26 AM
Crazy George

Well, Ari, I can tell you this. People used to mock the fact that I had 7
antennas on my 1957 station wagon almost 50 years ago, but these days, the
airwaves are so bereft of anything worth listening to, I never turn on a
radio in the car. So, I will never hear your message no matter what you
try.

Now, having said that, here is how the system design needs to be:
Since the frequency to which a target radio is tuned is an unknown, and
since the input contains a good trap for the IF frequency, your transmitter
needs to radiate about 2 KW ERP at each of three frequencies in the
broadcast band separated by 262 kHz and 455 kHz. This will mix in the front
end and produce a useful IF. Same technique on FM using two frequencies
10.7 MHz apart.

Good luck on the AM. With expected antenna efficiencies at that wavelength
of about 3%, you are going to need over 100 kW of RF and antenna components
with equivalent power ratings.

Let us know how it works out. The place I used to work no bid this about 20
years ago due to these problems, and that was not the first time this crazy
idea surfaced.

--
Crazy George

Old October 3rd 05, 05:02 AM
Richard Harrison

Ari wrote:
"--amessaging system that would reach out approximately 1 mile--."

You don`t need a radio tire truck. You need a SOUND TRUCK with an AIR
HORN to get the audience`s attention to listen to the message.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old October 3rd 05, 09:22 AM
G L Carter

Amen to that Richard.
I also question the wisdom of transmitting RF in a hazardous chemical
spillage area.

GeoffC

Old October 3rd 05, 04:23 PM
Ari Silversteinn

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:59:58 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:

Am I way off base here, can any antennae, fractal or other, or any AM
antennae technology, be utilized to design an antenna and propagate this
type of signal?

All comments appreciated.
--

The things that pop into my mind are why AM rather than FM, which tends to
be more local, and do you intend to 'over-broadcast' only the local channels
(how many?) - I assume you intend to make the channel(s) selectable - or the
entire band to ensure you get everyone?

The issue of selective vs full range broadcasting is a matter that has not
been decided either by client, company or possibility. There are plusses
and minus' to each.

Selective would entail less power but we are being told power of the fire
engine is not an issue.

Assuming that there is a commercial
AM broadcast station in the vicinity (what, 10 miles? 20 miles?) you are
probably going to be flat out getting a mobile rig to ride over it. How do
you intend to do this?

Cheers.

Ken

lol Good question, Ken. Any suggestions?
--
Drop the alphabet for email